Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youngsters and shooting games

Youngsters and shooting games

I’d like to hear from some folks that have gotten their kids into completion shooting, particularly girls, and particularly from 12/13 onward and not much before that.

My older daughter is 13. She has a BB gun that we have shot in the yard a few times, went to the range once as a family and shot some .22s, and has been with the wife and I several times to shoot sporting clays where she and her sister trade off trapping and scoring. Point is, she knows we have guns, she knows that I shoot, and she has laid hands on a gun a time or two before. She knows the four rules and understands them, granted at 13 with the teenager sass in full affect she makes it a chore to drag them out of her.

This past weekend I shot my first steel challenge match in years, and really enjoyed the relaxed pace and couldn’t help but think it might make for a good entry into competition shooting for her. The lack of movement seems safer to me and strips a level of complexity that she wouldn’t have to contend with, the feedback of the “ding” is enjoyable and offers positive reinforcement for all ages, and the existence of rimfire divisions means reduced recoil, reduced cost, and generally a lower barrier to entry for a kid starting out.

I’d like to hear from others that have gone down this path*, and get some feedback on my above concept re: Steel Challenge, thoughts on guns and gear (I have an M&P15-22 and a youth 10/22 that she could choose from), and anything else I may be missing.

Ideally, if she likes it, I’d like to graduate her up to Action Steel, USPSA, transition from a rifle to a pistol, etc.

* nothing personal, but if you don’t have kids, I’m not really interested in hearing from you, unless you have some sort of other experience that makes it relevant like running a kids only match or something. Simply being at matches with other people’s kids isn’t the same thing, thanks. I know it’s the internet, and people like to chime in, so just trying to get this out there. If you simply can’t stifle yourself, at least start you reply with “I don’t have kids but” and then go on to explain how, in spite of that fact, your comments are relevant. Thanks!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I hope she loves it.

My kids did go to two project Appleseeds with me, and both hunted small and big game with me. Both later decided they don’t have any further interest in shooting or gun sports, but the time spent together was well worth the investments made.

2 daughters; I started years ago with both of them, initially “plinking” with a short 10/22 from a bench. My youngest fired a few rounds when she was in single digits, me basically holding her hands, holding the Buckmark(I think) while we were seated at a single piece of steel-big plate, if I recall, about 10 inch diamete 10 yards away..
    I think you’re on the right path. Both girls helped paint steel when young, and I asked every month if they wanted to shoot. When the youngest said yes, out came the 10/22. Simple setup, fiber optic front, rear peep, sling and case for moving from stage to stage. Reload mags in a Fanny pack she carried(“you pack your own gear”).
    We made days of it; breakfast w/Dad, then to the range. Steel Challenge is the best competitive format in my opinion and just about everyone is more than helpful. One thing-focus on her/them, don’t worry too much about your shooting.
    Youngest has been to a couple of pistol classes now, has her CCW and carries pretty consistently. Neither daughter competes much anymore, but Steel Challenge was a major component of their safety consciousness and shooting training. Youngest wants a class every year or two, which Dad subsidizes. I shoot with the oldest once or twice a year just so she keeps some knowledge.
    I didn’t push and I think that’s important. If they didn’t want to shoot, or early on, got tired/hot, etc. I did not insist. Later, when she committed to a day we kept at it. Oh, and no phones-“safety first”. Amusingly, the youngest was considered “awesome” by young teenage boys; that gave her a confident attitude.
    The .22 AR would be fine too. I’m going to try and schedule an Appleseed for one or both next year before they get families, etc. I wouldn’t trade the range days for anything…

Site Supporter
    I’ll be the first guy that doesn’t have kids to chime in for one reason. I recently went on a quail hunt where one of the guys brought his 11 year old son. The kid had a little .410 single shot, killed plenty of birds and most importantly was safe. (I don’t think there’s a safer gun for beginners than a break action single shot)

This is relevant because you and your wife have been enjoying clays and you didn’t mention shotgun anything for your kids. There might be youth opportunities in your area worth exploring.

ETA: maybe some folks who have introduced their kids to shotgun sports will chime in and share their experiences with that.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 12-11-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Site Supporter
    Here’s my experience…
    Two sons, a few years apart. Introduced shooting and gun safety with BB gun, then trips to an indoor range to shoot a PCC. Then introduced handguns using Airsoft replicas, first manually-cycled spring action, then gas-operated that was a full simulation of the real gun. Then trips to an indoor range for supervised live fire. This was all done from ages 10-16.

My wish was that one or both would want to join me in IDPA. After a class with a local guy that culminated in them getting to shoot at moving and disappearing targets, the youngest son (then 15) was game to try an IDPA match the next day. He was quite nervous about the match, but had a great time, and as we left the range, gave me a big smile and said “this was really fun - can we do it again soon?”
    I can’t tell you how pleased I was.

All this to say - I offered to take them to IDPA matches for over a year, but they always declined (until last year). The biggest mental obstacles for both my boys were:
    - fear that the IDPA match would be rigid and stressful, and that they’d be berated if they made a mistake
    - lack of interest in getting up early on a weekend morning (usually leave the house around 0700-0730)

My youngest commented after his first match that it was much more relaxed and fun than he’d imagined. He was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming all the other shooters on our squad were.

So my advice for your daughter would be:
    - try to paint a picture of a fun, low-stress event, as opposed to the tense competition that she might be imagining.
    - keep dangling it out there, and let her try when she feels ready

FWIW, my older son has still never tried a match, and my younger son has been at it for a year and been remarkably successful- winning his division as a Novice at the regional match, and placing 4th at Nationals as a Marksman. He always enjoys the local matches, and several of the other shooters are becoming like uncles to him.

I don't have kids but

I watch the ones I see on the range. They are invariably safe, polite, and most are having a good time*.
    They have good eyes, no nerves and can really ring the steel fast in Steel Challenge rimfire divisions.
    I hope she gets enthused, it is a place where a kid can compete on an even footing with adults and be treated as an adult.

*Most. I recall one Junior IDPA shooter equipped with a Little League Dad. Dad didn't shoot, he just caddied the gear and coached his son on the stages. I never ever saw the kid smile or indicate he was enjoying himself. But he stuck with it, he is now a professional shooter.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

My son is 16 & daughter is coming 10. My son started NSSF/ ruger challenge (rimfire rifle & pistol) @ 9, my daughter started @ 7. I realize that is younger than the examples you asked for but I think it’s a good path for any age. I started my wife on rimfire steel with hopes she'll shoot uspsa.

My kids started hunting before shooting sports which drives home the lethality of firearms.

With both of my kids (and wife) we dry fired the make ready, unload/ show clear, chamber flag administration stuff WAY more than shooting skill. My goal was that they would feel comfortable with the process and not afraid they would “get in trouble” for doing something wrong.

My son started USPSA @ 11 after spectating matches at the same range he shot rimfire. That helped his comfort level, knowing people, etc.

10/22 is the easy answer for gaming.

Thanks for the responses.

Every time we’ve taken the girls with us to sporting clays. We’ve asked both if they want to try it, even just to shoot a shell off into the abyss, and both continue to decline.

Someone up above mentioned reinforcing the relaxed nature of the match to put her at ease, and I think that’s a great point. I think maybe we will try to schedule some time where we can all go together, shoot some clays in the afternoon, stay over, and I can shoot a match the following day and anyone that wants to come see what it’s like is welcome to.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Every time we’ve taken the girls with us to sporting clays. We’ve asked both if they want to try it, even just to shoot a shell off into the abyss, and both continue to decline.

Someone up above mentioned reinforcing the relaxed nature of the match to put her at ease, and I think that’s a great point. I think maybe we will try to schedule some time where we can all go together, shoot some clays in the afternoon, stay over, and I can shoot a match the following day and anyone that wants to come see what it’s like is welcome to.
    Forgot to mention: Thing 2 shot one pistol match with me. Just made sure to notify the RSOs that the shooter is a beginner. They allowed me to walk with them (I was a frequent RSO of the match at the time, but didn’t want the timer or scorecard responsibility when my kid was shooting) and give calm advice when needed (the gun stopped because it is empty - get your reload out and get the gun running, there’s another target to the left you didn’t see - stuff like that to help walk through the stages).

Kid had a good time, didn’t make any safety errors, shot very slowly but well, but determined for himself that due to chronic depression issues, having guns of his own or being around shooting very often was a bad idea for the time being.

@rob_s

I plan on introducing my daughter to steel challenge when she is older as an intro to shooting sports with live ammo. One of my good friends does it with his 12 year old son.

The advantages of steel challenge are also that you can dry practice at home and there is the familiarity aspect of the stages.

You can also transition them from 22 rifle to 22 pistol in the future.

My daughter is 4 and a half. I plan to start her with airsoft steel challenge and USPSA type plinking first (tactrainers has Airsoft reactive USPSA targets that I used with my 12 year old nephew to great success).
    Last edited by JCN; 12-12-2021 at 12:58 PM.

User Tag List