Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need for ‘cheater’ glasses eliminated by new eye drops

Site Supporter

Need for ‘cheater’ glasses eliminated by new eye drops

Need for ‘cheater’ glasses eliminated by new eye drops

FDA approves eye drops to correct nearsightedness

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...new-eye-drops/

If you’re tired of looking for your “cheaters” so that you can read instructions, recipes, your cellphone news feed, or just a good book on your bedside table, a solution has now been approved by the FDA in the form of revolutionary eye drops.
    Vuity is a prescription eye drop that shows results in temporarily treating presbyopia in clinical trials at Parkhurst NuVision Eye Clinic in San Antonio, and is now available locally.
    Presbyopia is also known as age-related blurry near vision, and usually shows up in men and women in their 40s and 50s.
    Eyeglasses that magnify are the most common approach for those who begin to lose their sight, and some surgical techniques can address it too. Now Vuity is an option that will be available by prescription only.
    Dr. Bobby Saenz, clinic director at Parkhurt NuVision, which also offers Lasik, explained, “This drop actually uses the eye’s natural ability for the pupil to get smaller and as the pupil gets smaller, what happens is it extends our depth of focus and it allows us to see better up-close.”

One drop is placed in each eye, and approximately 15 minutes later, most people with this form of nearsightedness no longer have blurry vision. The affect on the pupil lasts anywhere from six to 10 hours.
    “What’s going to happen is what we saw in the clinical studies that we did here because we were one of the principal investigators in that study. Patients definitely saw better up-close, and even some saw better at distance,” said Saenz.
    It should only be used once a day, preferably in the morning, eliminating the need for reading glasses for the rest of the day.
    Vuity is manufactured by Allergan and was approved for use this week. The first vial arrived at Parkhurst NuVision on Thursday.
    Dr. Saenz says the eye drop will not likely be covered by most medical insurance and costs $79 for a month’s worth of drops. He also says it can be used in conjunction with other treatments and techniques for mitigating nearsightedness and farsightedness, including Lasik surgery.

Site Supporter
    I'll give it a try for $80.00.
    --Jason--

Very interested, once we’e sure it won’t make your eyeballs explode.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I don't need cheaters on a daily basis yet, but I've noticed some changes in my vision the last couple years, and I hope this new drop works out long term, because it'd be a lot better than packing reading glasses around later in life.

That drug is as old as dirt. 1 or 2% drops are generic. Not sure what 1.25% would get you that 1% wouldn't, and you should be able to get it for cash for <$30.

Site Supporter
    Eye drops for a few hours of not having to slip on a pair of cheaters? No thanks. I hate eye drops. If using the drops gave me two or three days of improvement, maybe, but it doesn't sound like these will even get me through a day.

Then there's the previously mentioned risk of eyeball explosion. I'm using enough experimental treatments (C19 vaccines) at the moment.

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Meh. Restore night vision and then we'll talk.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I see an Anti-droppers movement coming....

Seems cool enough but since I have to wear safety glasses at work anyway and use my eyes hard for 10+ hours a day, I will stick with glasses and progressive lenses. At 53 I can get by most of the time without them, but at work they have become a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Meh. Restore night vision and then we'll talk.
    I’m guessing this will have the opposite effect? Poor night vision during activity of the drug?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List