Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surefire light question

OK, I took some of the advise offered here. This weekend I borrowed a G2Z MV and an EDCL2-T and tested them at night.

Inside my house I tested then as hand held weapon lights and preferred the G2. Its wider field of light did a great job illuminating various rooms and its lack of a super bright hot spot kept it from blinding me when reflected off white walls. The L2 lit all rooms, but not as evenly and it produced a very bright center hot spot, often blinding me if I looked at it. Also, the ring on the G2 that makes it usable with the Rogers technique helped lock the light in my hand even if using the Harries technique because the ring fit nicely between my middle and ring finger. The light felt more secure in my hand than did the L2 with the pocket clip in the way.

Outside was a little different. The L2 really throws the beam out and I could clearly see 2 or 3 times farther with this light than I could with the G2, however I don't think I'll ever need to identify out that far (again I'm not LE) and the G2 did produce a wider and more evenly lit area up close.

What I still don't know with certainty is which light will blind or disorient an assailant at bad breath range faster - the 800 lumen MV reflector or the 1200 lumen TIR reflector. If we're talking candela, the G2 has about 3000 and the L2 has about 11,000. I tried to get my wife to let me shine the light in her face but she declined (I never said she was stupid), so I did the next best thing. I used myself. Holding both lights in front of my face I shined them into my eyes (my eyes were closed). I would not want either light flashed into my open eyes. Ever. Which would do a better job - I don't know. I suspect both would work just about equally well.

Unfortunately I could not find an EDCL1 to test.

Based on my testing, I ended up buying that G2Z MV (my buddy had two). It seemed to meet most of my criteria. If I had been able to test the L1 I might have picked it, but I really like that MV reflector. If I can find a G2X MV I plan on getting it as well. The feature I liked most on the L2 was the low light option and the ability to immediately move into the high beam.

Thanks to all of you who gave me some excellent advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Based on my testing, I ended up buying that G2Z MV (my buddy had two).
    Solid choice. Here's my classic Z2 Combat Light (with LED module) which works well for me using a syringe grip;

BTW, I suspect yours will run just fine on a 16650 rechargeable Li-ion protected cell.

User Tag List