Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire light question

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    It's the only tactical flashlight with an acceptable interface that has a low and high output with one push of the switch and no adjusting of the bezel.
    Whatever options I get, they have to be a one hand operation. Needing two hands to adjust the light are a no go.
    You also have to be very careful of color temperature as the cooler lights are terrible in the mist or rain or with smoke to my eyes.
    Did not know this. Thank you.
    The EDC L2T is very long and won't fit into a lot of jeans pockets without sticking out above the clip.
    I've used that double clip before and hate it. I would likely remove it.
    It only has a bit more throw than the single battery one but does have a larger wall.
    I know what throw is, but I've never heard of the wall. I'll look it up, but if someone wants to save me the trouble...
    The clip on these is a two-way clip before bezel up or bezel down carry and it can also be clipped onto a hat to use as a work light in a pinch.
    Again, if I end up with the EDC it likely won't have the clip.
    Max vision lights don't give the hotspot to get the blinding effect you hope to get from your light also if you need to see beyond 15 yards and there's a lot of ambient light it won't do very well.
    Max vision won't be blinding at close range? That seems hard to accept, but I can't offer any experience to counter it. I do know the max vision light seems to offer a cleaner image along with the wider field of view. I don't know if the wider field of view or the longer throw is better for a disorienting light.
    As for feeding the PRC - that's a hard no.

If a dedicated light for a dedicated task is the way to go, I'll probably go with the G2Z for handgun work and stick with my AAA mini mag for low light work.

If a high low is the way to go, the EDC L1 may be a better choice, but wouldn't the longer throw of 1200 lumens and over 11K candela of the L2 be a better disorienting light?

Site Supporter
    500 lumens at contact to 10 feet as the stated parameters should be quite bright.

I would defer to smarter light folks re 1200 lumens being that much brighter in that 10 ft space relative to the handiness of a 1 cell v 2 cell light.

My flashlight retail therapy this year had me upgrading 2 6ps and an E1B 1st Gen with Malkoff heads.

A reasonable argument could have been made to take that same 150ish and buy the EDCL1T.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    While I don't have experience with the Tactician I believe it is best suited to EDC duty of all Surefire lights in the moment. You don't need all that 'throw' in an EDC and you do want a very wide field of vision to identify additional threats. There is no high/low mode to fumble and the tailcap is momentarily only, which is the only way I'll run a Surefire for EDC given how easy it is to accidentally turn 'on' and stay that way.
    With respect, advice without experience is generally not how we prefer to roll here at P-F. You recommend a light with which you admittedly don't have experience (the Tactician) based seemingly in large part on two features (no chance of fumbling high/low modes and momentary only) which are fully present in the EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T, both of which offer a truly fumble-free low mode. The Tactician requires twisting the head to change modes, which is a lot more fumble-prone than adjusting pressure on the switch without shifting one's grip. Even applying your own standards, the Tactician fails in the comparison.
    Last edited by Le Français; 12-11-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    With respect, advice without experience is generally not how we prefer to roll here at P-F. You recommend a light with which you admittedly don't have experience (the Tactician) based seemingly in large part on two features (no chance of fumbling high/low modes and momentary only) which are fully present in the EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T, both of which also offer the advantage of a (completely and absolutely fumble-free) low mode. The Tactician, on the other hand, has a low mode but requires twisting the bezel to change modes, which is a much more fumble-prone activity than varying the pressure exerted on the switch.

Low mode is of no use tactically to my thinking, so what do you gain by having it when you could carry a small keychain light for that purpose. It should be a very distinct thing to get to low power like twisintg, it shouldn't accidentally be chosen by say, not getting your finger squarely over the tail button 'just right'. I don't have experience with the Tactician but I do use a Surefire 6P which has the same type of tailcap. I also have learned from the 6P that the weak point is the wall of light is not present and I wish it was.

Site Supporter
    Low mode is of no use tactically to my thinking, so what do you gain by having it when you could carry a small keychain light for that purpose. It should be a very distinct thing to get to low power like twisintg, it shouldn't accidentally be chosen by say, not getting your finger squarely over the tail button 'just right'.
    Have you ever used a "gas pedal" Surefire switch and gotten low mode when you wanted high mode, without the ability to immediately get high mode by simply pushing harder? I don't remember that ever happening, and I've carried and used such lights for perhaps ten years.

Note that you have to make sure that the tailcap is screwed to the proper depth, but that is true of any momentary-only Surefire tailcap, including the Tactician's.

Have you ever used a "gas pedal" Surefire switch and gotten low mode when you wanted high mode, without the ability to immediately get high mode by simply pushing harder? I don't remember that ever happening, and I've carried and used such lights for perhaps ten years.

Note that you have to make sure that the tailcap is screwed to the proper depth, but that is true of any momentary-only Surefire tailcap, including the Tactician's.
    I have not but I can only assume that while it may be perfectly usable under normal conditions it is not a needed 'feature' to a tactical light so that means it's a liability to some extent so I'd prefer not to have it. Again, these are preferences in general and many of Surefire's lights have these features so there's nothing wrong with my .02 for thought to the OP here.

Site Supporter
    I have not but I can only assume that while it may be perfectly usable under normal conditions it is not a needed 'feature' to a tactical light so that means it's a liability to some extent so I'd prefer not to have it. Again, these are preferences in general and many of Surefire's lights have these features so there's nothing wrong with my .02 for thought to the OP here.
    Fair enough. I disagree that it's a liability based on my experience with it, but I take your point that it could be one in theory vs an even simpler system.

@Moonshot:

Although I prefer and usually carry the EDCL2-T, I sometimes carry a G2 Nitrolon with an LED upgrade (momentary switch, only one output level) and use my phone's flashlight for when I don't need as much output. This is a very simple and lightweight setup with a lot of power and throw. You might be able to find a G2 on eBay for less, but beware of fakes.

https://www.dnatactical.com/products...2-nitrolon.htm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Site Supporter

@Moonshot:

Although I prefer and usually carry the EDCL2-T, I sometimes carry a G2 Nitrolon with an LED upgrade (momentary switch, only one output level) and use my phone's flashlight for when I don't need as much output. This is a very simple and lightweight setup with a lot of power and throw. You might be able to find a G2 on eBay for less, but beware of fakes.

https://www.dnatactical.com/products...2-nitrolon.htm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    That’s essentially what I do, except mine are a pair of 6Ps with Malkoff LED heads. One is in my pocket every day, the other in my backpack or travel kit for spare. Thyrm finger ring pocket clips. Simple, does one thing, sturdy enough to take smacking into things if needed, and low light is served by using the phone flashlight app.

The edct-1 and -2 as well as G2Z etc have beam shots on candlepower forum and you tube to get an IDEA of what they are like.

You need to figure out the interface that fits you.

If you know peeps with some of these then borrow them.

You really need several lights so don't be afraid to try stuff.

I have or have had all of the above (except MOD) I have a sidekick and a few other keychain lights for tasks. For walking the dog G2X pro. For "tactical" (not my favorite word) G2X tactical, EDCL-1T, Elzetta Bravo and Stream light micro stream rechargeable when applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    ...and as a light with enough juice to temporarily blind or disorient an assailantat at contact distance out to perhaps 10 feet. Disorient enough to allow me to vacate the area or draw my G26 if necessary (I am not LE).
    This is all about candela, not lumens. The Modlite previously suggested has a good blend of both.

Carry a second smaller light for finding the keys you dropped.

User Tag List