Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire light question

Surefire light question

I am looking for a Surefire handheld light that I can EDC for use as both a weapon light (but not weapon mounted - my handgun won't take a WML) and as a light with enough juice to temporarily blind or disorient an assailantat at contact distance out to perhaps 10 feet. Disorient enough to allow me to vacate the area or draw my G26 if necessary (I am not LE).

I have narrowed it down to the G2Z MV (800 lumens and a wide field of view) or the EDCL2-T (1200 lumens and a long throw).

I prefer the wide wall of light the MV reflector provides, but there is no low beam for general tasks. It's strictly a combat light.
    The EDCL2 offers more lumens and a low setting, and therefore may be a better general purpose light, but I'm not sure its beam pattern is best.

The G2Z MV works with the Rogers technique, and it's nice to have that option, but I almost always train using the Harries technique and sometimes the Neck Index technique. Either light works with those.

A quick search did not provide any info. Any suggestins or opinions?

I think Surefire is pretty outclassed in this category.

In my opinion the light linked below is far better than anything Surefire offers. The beam is very capable of blinding/disorienting at 10 feet, and probably much much further while still being great for general use.

https://www.bigtexordnance.com/produ...-candela/#clip

Add a thyrm switchback and it works very well while shooting also.

Only downside is the price, but there are lots of discount codes available and the rechargeable batteries will eventually save you some coin too.

I'm not familiar with the light, but I've had very good luck with Big Tex. I'll look into it, but yeah, that's not in my price range.

I should have mentioned in my OP that I am also looking at the G2X MV. Two light levels and the wide MV reflector. What I didn't think I'd care for was the two-stage switch from low to high or high to low, but perhaps I am over thinking things.

Again.

EDCL1-T in my pocket, lots of good use and carries effortlessly.

No shortage of decent to awesome lights out there at all price points. No excuse to be without one.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

FWIW, I have multiple SureFire Sidekicks and they are fantastic little “chore” lights. One on my keychain, one on the dog leash, and one on my HPG kit bag and they do a great job of supporting a single mode lightsaber. It’s a minor additional cost but may ease the pro/con decision making.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I carry the EDCL2-T every day, on duty and off. Surefire sent it to me as a free replacement for my LX-2 when the tail cap finally wore out. I really like the “gas pedal” switch (press a little for low, harder for high). The low mode is excellent for everyday tasks, and high is bright enough that I didn’t need more light while clearing a gigantic warehouse recently.

If Surefire is the consideration, I’m going to throw the “Tactician” into the mix. It’s 800 lumens with a “wall of light”, lower setting (10 lumens I think) by twisting the head and the best short lanyard I’ve had.
    This, plus an old “Titan” are my usual edc. Plenty of options from Streamlight, etc., but that for me is the Surefire load out.

You're going to end up with more questions about what to get than answers because everybody has their own thing they like.

If you are fairly new to tactical lights the EDCL1T is the answer

It's the only tactical flashlight with an acceptable interface that has a low and high output with one push of the switch and no adjusting of the bezel.

You also have to be very careful of color temperature as the cooler lights are terrible in the mist or rain or with smoke to my eyes.

The EDC L2T is very long and won't fit into a lot of jeans pockets without sticking out above the clip.

It only has a bit more throw than the single battery one but does have a larger wall.

The clip on these is a two-way clip before bezel up or bezel down carry and it can also be clipped onto a hat to use as a work light in a pinch.

Max vision lights don't give the hotspot to get the blinding effect you hope to get from your light also if you need to see beyond 15 yards and there's a lot of ambient light it won't do very well.

Personally I would use a G2X tactical before a max vision. They're about $50

Undoubtedly people will chime in about the bodyguard from malkoff and it's a very good light but it's more like $200 and they're not always available. It's interface really makes it a tactical light only.

As advised before the best thing to do is have a dedicated light for tasks and a dedicated light for social purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    If Surefire is the consideration, I’m going to throw the “Tactician” into the mix. It’s 800 lumens with a “wall of light”, lower setting (10 lumens I think) by twisting the head and the best short lanyard I’ve had.
    This, plus an old “Titan” are my usual edc. Plenty of options from Streamlight, etc., but that for me is the Surefire load out.
    While I don't have experience with the Tactician I believe it is best suited to EDC duty of all Surefire lights in the moment. You don't need all that 'throw' in an EDC and you do want a very wide field of vision to identify additional threats. There is no high/low mode to fumble and the tailcap is momentarily only, which is the only way I'll run a Surefire for EDC given how easy it is to accidentally turn 'on' and stay that way.

Site Supporter
    Based on your stated purposes the 1 Cr123 Cell EDCL1T is an great answer.

Push a little - 15 ish lumen light for nav and tasks.

Push a lot- 500 lumens (for real) of light that will clearly work for most G26 pistol shooters and pistol ranges.

Made in the USA. Solid warranty and customer service (was arguably superlative at on point but may have slipped a bit)

150 ish street price.

Alternatively- the 600 lumen only single mode G2 with the simple on/off push switch at 75ish.

I refuse to feed the PRC monster in the edc/tactical flashlight space.

Either could be feed with rechargeables should you desire.

Elzetta and malkoff are both boutique made in the USA brands but often have stock issues. 1 cell CR123 models are in the 130.00 to 200.00 range with 500 ish lumens high output.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List