Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I used to be involved into Autocrossing. . It seems USPSA is autocrossing with guns….

I used to be involved into Autocrossing. . It seems USPSA is autocrossing with guns….

Hi everyone I bought my first gun in May of 2021, and had only visited a range once like 35 years ago.

But now for whatever reason I’m hooked ! I went crazy a let’s just say I bought a bunch of guns and live at my indoor range, but since September I’ve discovered USPSA and the range where the competitions take place is close to my house, I’m in love.

Anyway, a few years ago I used to autocross (drive around traffic cones in parking lots for lowest elapsed time, without penalties ((hitting cones)).

Now that I started participating in USPSA I find the similarities striking between the two sports. Both male dominated, both skew towards older participants, and I would think or at least hope that I could eventually become better than I am at the moment but I’m loving it. I tended to be a little silly in and around the other sport. But there we used to talk about Hoosier tires, but here we talk about guns and ammo, so more serious. But I am loving guns and shooting competitions.

Now I just have to dry fire on a more regular basis.

Anyway, hello, and I’m glad I found this forum.

As a former autocrosser, I had the same thought at my first USPSA event.

To add to what you said:

A lot of people putting a massive investment into equipment for below average results (not a criticism - if this is what you enjoy I say have at it.)
    A huge disparity from the top level competitors to the people in the lower tier, but all having a great time.
    Some below average competitors who really want to give expert advice to new people.

But the biggest one - A lot of standing around watching other people compete before you take your less than 1 minute turn :/
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Welcome aboard, you'll fit in perfectly.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Welcome aboard, you'll fit in perfectly.
    THANKS !

I used to make fun of autocrossers and myself by giving my “team” name a silly, funny, somewhat obnoxious name. It was fun to be outrageous a little. Not going to do that at all with guns and ammo involved. But fun is still a priority.

I have noticed a lot of people at the local matches have shirts with their names on them.

I guess that’s to help the people scoring to keep track of who exactly it is that they are scoring. I wonder one day if I ever got a jersey if I could put a funny name on it maybe with/without my real name……….

“Itchy”

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    As a former autocrosser, I had the same thought at my first USPSA event.

To add to what you said:

A lot of people putting a massive investment into equipment for below average results (not a criticism - if this is what you enjoy I say have at it.)
    A huge disparity from the top level competitors to the people in the lower tier, but all having a great time.
    Some below average competitors who really want to give expert advice to new people.

But the biggest one - A lot of standing around watching other people compete before you take your less than 1 minute turn :/
    A lot less walking at a USPSA event than an autocross !

I also like the format where the results are all lumped together, at least at the local matches I’ve been to.

At one of my first matches I saw an argument between a senior citizen shooter (very good), demanding a reshoot on a practice night, and he was rebuffed by the match director. It got pretty heated…….just like silly autocross, except in autocross everyone isn’t armed !

I notice that overall it seems that everyone is nice and it all actually might be more laid back competition wise than autocross. Although I’ve only been to a few local matches and have never traveled to anything other to a local match. Really enjoying that I’m a 15 minute drive to my local club. Sure beats 2 hour drives to “local” autocrosses, and multiple day tows to national events when I used to autocross, many moons ago.
    Last edited by 365X; 12-09-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    I wonder one day if I ever got a jersey if I could put a funny name on it maybe with/without my real name……….

“Itchy”
    BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDE, I'VE MISSED YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDE, I'VE MISSED YOU!
    I knew that was you ! (JCN) !!!

You autocross much anymore ? I did see you compete and do real well in autox in some results after I left. Congrats on the good finishes. You like the gun game more ?

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    you take your less than 1 minute turn :/
    And the better you get, the less time you spend participating!!!
    Most Sundays I gather with friends and we setup pistol drills and time each other, one day it occurred to me that if I have a good day I spend about 45sec shooting. Have started doing small time three gun and I am not as good at that yet, so I get to shoot for 3-4 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And the better you get, the less time you spend participating!!!
    Most Sundays I gather with friends and we setup pistol drills and time each other, one day it occurred to me that if I have a good day I spend about 45sec shooting. Have started doing small time three gun and I am not as good at that yet, so I get to shoot for 3-4 minutes.
    Thanks pretty funny but accurate……….I guess when you consider that three runs of an autocross might be. 120-160 seconds depending on driver skill, class, and condition and composition of tires.

And if you are really good three stages might go by in 50 seconds or less !

Welcome to PF, @365X!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List