Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 BLK Build - Aero 8 inch vs BCM 7 inch

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Aero is known to have QC/assembly issues so if you're comfortable with assessing/diagnosing/fixing small things then I think they're reasonable. I have a pair of Aero uppers (11.5" and 16" with stainless 223 wylde bbl) I sent for GB pinning and inspection/reassembly that have been great. the 16" is sub-MOA with 77gr factory match ammo and the 11.5" has ~1500 rounds without malfunction. I use Centurion BCGs in both guns FWIW.

If you are looking at Aero for the pricing I'd see if Midwest Industries or ADM have any complete uppers that fit the bill.

BCM for the brand and qc.

As far as size... I would ask yourself where you would be carrying this in a backpack and how conspicuous you are OK looking. They both will fit in a backpack but big backpacks on dudes in public aren't exactly low key. I'd say smaller the better in that case. Plus maybe your backpack has room for other stuff.

If you just want something to fit in a backpack to go from house to car and back again (or through a hotel lobby) ...maybe that's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Aero is known to have QC/assembly issues so if you're comfortable with assessing/diagnosing/fixing small things then I think they're reasonable.
    Same with Palmetto. I dipped my toe into a 300 BLK pistol with a Palmetto 7.5" upper for $150 (at that time). It turned out to be a great upper, even after needing to tighten the gas block and discard the crappy handguard.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Same with Palmetto. I dipped my toe into a 300 BLK pistol with a Palmetto 7.5" upper for $150 (at that time). It turned out to be a great upper, even after needing to tighten the gas block and discard the crappy handguard.
    I just bought one of those 7.7” PSA uppers. Do you happen to know the gas port size? I know the port on my Aero 8” upper is .109.
    Just trying to get a starting point on the spring and buffer weight to use with the PSA, as I have arrived at a good combination for the Aero.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I just bought one of those 7.7” PSA uppers. Do you happen to know the gas port size? I know the port on my Aero 8” upper is .109.
    Just trying to get a starting point on the spring and buffer weight to use with the PSA, as I have arrived at a good combination for the Aero.
    Sorry. I don’t. But I had good performance with an H3 buffer for supers and C for subs. As well, the Strike Industries short buffer system works well for all ammo I’ve tried.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had a palmetto upper that was fine too. 11.5" 5.56. Really gassy, maybe the gassiest upper I've ever shot. I think it came with a delta ring and I used magpul HGs. Was fun for flinging wolf downrange til I got rid of it.

The Aero handgaurds are OK. I do actually really like the skinny one I have on my 16" recce. It makes the rifle balance well without all the extra 1913 rail on the top that would serve no purpose on this gun anyway. I am sure there is a guccier version out there but I figure I will shoot my aero uppers til I've burned out the barrels and/or finally am out of training and have enough cash for fun new toys. With the round count I have put through them they clearly work fine and so far prove more than accurate enough for my needs.

Aero is known to have QC/assembly issues so if you're comfortable with assessing/diagnosing/fixing small things then I think they're reasonable.
    I thought they have been relatively good to go as of late. What have been the typical issues with uppers?

As far as size... I would ask yourself where you would be carrying this in a backpack and how conspicuous you are OK looking. They both will fit in a backpack but big backpacks on dudes in public aren't exactly low key. I'd say smaller the better in that case. Plus maybe your backpack has room for other stuff.

If you just want something to fit in a backpack to go from house to car and back again (or through a hotel lobby) ...maybe that's not an issue.
    I had asked myself that and myself replied that I have no desire to be an urban commando so the second option.

I bought a lot of Aero stuff last year, seems like during quarentine I was either drinking beer or working on ARs, probably most often drinking beer while I shopped for AR parts. Their stuff was all very nice and I was developing a pretty good brand loyalty, then they shipped me an assembled BCG with an extractor that didn't have a hook machined into it. And they were good about it, but when I called to follow up on the email I sent with pictures the friendly guy said the warranty department was really busy and he would send me a a shipping label as soon as he could.

But I still buy stuff from them, it is nice, but you are probably doing some of the QC. OTOH, I think they are big on finish and color matching, almost everything I bought was "blemished" and I never did find a single blemish.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List