Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCD/Gadget rebirth?

SCD/Gadget rebirth?

Anyone seen anything about new Gadgets being produced? Would love to get one for my 48
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Anyone seen anything about new Gadgets being produced? Would love to get one for my 48
    I have not seen anything in the immediate, but I hope to see some soon. It was posted on here that we might see something first quarter of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I have not seen anything in the immediate, but I hope to see some soon. It was posted on here that we might see something first quarter of 2022.
    Awesome, thank you.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Site Supporter
    Shouldn't that read:
    I have not seen anything in the immediate, but I hope to see some soonTM. It was posted on here that we might see something first quarter of 2022.

Darn, I could use one myself for a new gun. I looked on gunbroker and was surprised not to see anything for sale. Usually when stuff gets discontinued the parts are listed for a huge premium. But maybe I wasn't sure what search terms to use.

I tried SCD, Tau, Striker Controlled Device and Tau Gadget.
    Last edited by Sanch; 12-20-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Darn, I could use one myself for a new gun. I looked on gunbroker and was surprised not to see anything for sale. Usually when stuff gets discontinued the parts are listed for a huge premium. But maybe I wasn't sure what search terms to use.

I tried SCD, Tau, Striker Controlled Device and Tau Gadget.

Two issues on the secondary market as I see it.
    1. Risk of clone/knockoff much too high for a life safety device.
    2. No one knew they were going to be discontinued so there was no buy up of remaining stock. Also anyone that uses one isn’t willing to give it up for what the market would bear for a used gun part.

I had great luck sourcing two for my new Gen 5s with a WTB thread here on PF. You are communicating to without a doubt the largest group of SCD users on the planet so extras exist. They are also some of the most professional, polite, friendly people Ive had the pleasure to “ Meet” so If there is one to be had its here.

Good luck with your search.

Just the thoughts of an aging redneck…
    Clay

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post
    Two issues on the secondary market as I see it.
    1. Risk of clone/knockoff much too high for a life safety device.
    2. No one knew they were going to be discontinued so there was no buy up of remaining stock. Also anyone that uses one isn’t willing to give it up for what the market would bear for a used gun part.

I had great luck sourcing two for my new Gen 5s with a WTB thread here on PF. You are communicating to without a doubt the largest group of SCD users on the planet so extras exist. They are also some of the most professional, polite, friendly people Ive had the pleasure to “ Meet” so If there is one to be had its here.

Good luck with your search.

Just the thoughts of an aging redneck…
    Clay

I’ve thought about trying to source some Gen 5s here, but I would like to have back up SCDs in case they break. My hope is we see a quality manufacturer produce some soon.

Imagine if one of the tactical super stud YouTube guys preached how much you needed the SCD on your Glock. Even some one like Hicock45 (due to his kind personality and large audience) would be a great promoter of an SCD like item.

One can dream.

Imagine if one of the tactical super stud YouTube guys preached how much you needed the SCD on your Glock. Even some one like Hicock45 (due to his kind personality and large audience) would be a great promoter of an SCD like item.
    I’d bet if that happened anytime before a few months ago, Tau might not have shut down operations and would be running cash counting machines 24/7 with Freon tubes to prevent overheating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I’d bet if that happened anytime before a few months ago, Tau might not have shut down operations and would be running cash counting machines 24/7 with Freon tubes to prevent overheating.
    Making a profit on items crafted with premium materials and inspected according to high standards is not easy. The gadgets were not cheap price wise, and with inflation would be costing even more now. Law enforcement purchasing agents were not buyers. The man in the street was not a potential customer. I never owned one and don't know any local owners. I regret not having bought a couple.

It really is a shame the market didn’t adopt the SCD on a broader scale. It’s a fantastic idea for a “black box” platform like a Glock. Then again, if people aren’t privy to why such a thing is even remotely a good idea, they won’t perceive the need. We’ve had Glocks since the ‘80s and it wasn't until just a handful of years ago that the SCD came around. Since then everyone and their brother has come out with a black, generic, striker fired pistol without a safety. So why would anyone ever “need” one?

Just “learn how to reholster” they say. Well, uh, yeah….about that…

User Tag List