Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Production to Carry Optics

From Production to Carry Optics

Based on the waning participation numbers from local clubs around here Production is more and more going the way of Single Stack and Revo. Apparently Carry Optics is where it’s at and I suppose I should start looking at finally accepting new technology moving forward. I’m not looking to immediately supplant my current guns as I haven’t got the funds right now, but more I’m looking for info for when I’m ready to grab a copy of a gun and dot and start making the transition.

My first inclination would be to simply put dots on my Beretta 92s as that’s what I shoot in Production. It’s a bit more complicated than that though, I’m afraid. My Berettas are a 92FS and an LTT Centurion. The 92FS would need a new slide and for the cost of that, I might as well look at a new gun. If I’m looking at a new primary gun, then a replacement slide for the LTT Centurion would be the way to go. Not a cheap route, but being done by LTT I know it would work and work well. I also already know and like the platform well enough that I’d have few qualms with it. It’s just a matter of cost.

But the whole point of this thread is to entertain a secondary option in contrast. This option must NOT be a Glock or P320. Glocks are an ergonomic nightmare for me, even after getting one setup exactly how I like it. So I’d prefer to not go down that path if I can at all help it. No P320s either as I don’t trust how they’ve managed that platform since “drop-gate” happened. Apart from that, I’m open to suggestions. My priorities are a strong modular optic system and ease of getting 140mm magazines working without spending a crapton of money.

Is there an alternative sort of setup that meets my criteria that I should be considering or should I not worry about it and just go whole hog LTT?

M&P CORE but no idea on the mag thing
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Based on the waning participation numbers from local clubs around here Production is more and more going the way of Single Stack and Revo. Apparently Carry Optics is where it’s at and I suppose I should start looking at finally accepting new technology moving forward. I’m not looking to immediately supplant my current guns as I haven’t got the funds right now, but more I’m looking for info for when I’m ready to grab a copy of a gun and dot and start making the transition.

My first inclination would be to simply put dots on my Beretta 92s as that’s what I shoot in Production. It’s a bit more complicated than that though, I’m afraid. My Berettas are a 92FS and an LTT Centurion. The 92FS would need a new slide and for the cost of that, I might as well look at a new gun. If I’m looking at a new primary gun, then a replacement slide for the LTT Centurion would be the way to go. Not a cheap route, but being done by LTT I know it would work and work well. I also already know and like the platform well enough that I’d have few qualms with it. It’s just a matter of cost.

But the whole point of this thread is to entertain a secondary option in contrast. This option must NOT be a Glock or P320. Glocks are an ergonomic nightmare for me, even after getting one setup exactly how I like it. So I’d prefer to not go down that path if I can at all help it. No P320s either as I don’t trust how they’ve managed that platform since “drop-gate” happened. Apart from that, I’m open to suggestions. My priorities are a strong modular optic system and ease of getting 140mm magazines working without spending a crapton of money.

Is there an alternative sort of setup that meets my criteria that I should be considering or should I not worry about it and just go whole hog LTT?
    How competitive are you looking to be and how dedicated of a pistol will this be?

You could do a Shadow Systems MR or DR for not-a-Glock. The ergos are much better and you can change POA/POI with the different backstraps which work.

Otherwise Canik or Walther on a budget.

M&P CORE or Walther PDP are alternatives to the Glock /320. The Legion is the dominant striker in CO these days.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How competitive are you looking to be and how dedicated of a pistol will this be?

You could do a Shadow Systems MR or DR for not-a-Glock. The ergos are much better and you can change POA/POI with the different backstraps which work.

Otherwise Canik or Walther on a budget.
    I don’t want to necessarily do a ton of fiddling with things unless it’s a Beretta. With the Beretta 92 I at least know the system well enough that I’m ok with having to work with a reengineered upper. That magazines are a solid known quantity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    M&P CORE or Walther PDP are alternatives to the Glock /320. The Legion is the dominant striker in CO these days.
    Two for M&P CORE. Not bad.

PDP maybe, but the optics mounting seems iffy with only having the two screws be the only support for the mounting plate?

I know the Legion is all the rage. Had SIG not SIG’d everywhere all over that platform I would be all about it too. But they did, so I won’t. Even if it had the option of a thumb safety, which it doesn’t.

Site Supporter

I'm super ghey for the LTT Beretta 92s and actually did go the way of getting a replacement slide for my 92X compact because I wanted to play with red dots. Yes it was about the cost of another gun, but it was NOT the cost of a LTT RDO gun and that's the important bit.

See, I don't want another gun that I'll need to buy new holsters, mags, support gear for, and that's not even including the price of a RDS.

The very obvious choice for a carry optics gun in USPSA right now is either a Glock or 320 unless you're a hipster running a CZ, Walther, S&W or Canik...but it doesn't matter what you choose. Unless you find enjoyment in kitting out a new pair of guns and like going through the exploratory process of discovering what you hate about it, I'd just by the RDO slide from LTT and drop your other stuff into it.

It is really great BTW.

Two for M&P CORE. Not bad.

PDP maybe, but the optics mounting seems iffy with only having the two screws be the only support for the mounting plate?

I know the Legion is all the rage. Had SIG not SIG’d everywhere all over that platform I would be all about it too. But they did, so I won’t. Even if it had the option of a thumb safety, which it doesn’t.
    Have you looked at/considered a CZ Optics Ready P10F?

I vote for getting another LTT RDO slide. You're already familiar with the Beretta system and wouldn't have to buy all the ancillary equipment that goes along with a new pistol. Also, you won't have the training / learning curve. Sure, the slide is the cost of another gun, but it's cheaper than buying another gun plus all the gear.

I've been shooting CO for the off season, but will return to Production to prepare for major matches. The key for me is to shoot exactly the same guns in CO and Production: Shadow2s. Switching back and forth from dot and irons is truly not a big deal because of a nearly identical natural point of aim (dot index is a little higher).

So, I don't think it really matters what gun you choose, but unless you intend to abandon Production, I recommend similar guns for both divisions.

I predict Production will return over the next few years. It's still the best game, IMO.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List