Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Size/strength doesn't matter, and other lies you were told.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Strength is important but so is endurance.

This week I ran 6.5miles in armor, 8miles pushing a 40lbs kid in a stroller and deadlifted 405x10, 455x4, and 495 for a single during my back work.
    Very good point.

I had a friend in college who had been a lifelong wrestler and had done boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ for years. He was working towards becoming a professional fighter. Think he was a middle weight. I asked him what his priorities were and he told me his coach told him it was all about “legs, lungs and heart”. Kind of stayed with me over the years. I interpreted “legs” as muscular endurance or the ability to pop back up/conduct explosive movements. Lungs is obvious.

As a former big time fatty I remember putting up decent numbers with my lifts, which would be contrasted by being out of breath going up a flight of stairs. I realized someone could probably kill me without much difficulty because I could hardly move. Throw me to the ground and I wasn’t getting up anytime quick.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

I really need to start doing that again, though after 132 jumps I'm not sure how much of it my knees and hip would take. The shitty part about being on the back half is everything is broke to one extent or another and then your realize that your younger self would tell you to stop being a fucking bitch about it.

Time to see if I can still such it up I suppose.

Can't agree fully with #5. If there is a good opening for a headbutt or something I will take it. It likely won't end the fight by itself, but can give me more time or an opening for something else.

Being a small dude, I try incorporate powerlifting to even the strength disparity, and work a lot on footwork and head movement to overcome the reach. Striking is definitely more forgiving than grappling against a bigger person imo.
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 07-23-2022 at 01:31 PM.

User Tag List