Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shield 15 rnd Glock 43/48 mag issues

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have never bothered with the Shield mags due to this higher reported failure rate. Anecdotally, probably, but how many issues do you hear about with the OEM mags?

I won't accept reduced reliability to get more ammunition simply because I think the number of incidents were a bang-click malfunction will lead to a bad outcome are much more likely for me than the number of incidents were 11 wasn't enough but 16 took care of it, but I couldn't get to my reload.
    Ditto.

I might feel different if we had some sort of robust data set instead of anecdotes, such as a large police agency adopting the 43X/48, specifying a certain generation S15 mag as part of a purchase, and there being ample evidence about its performance. Unfortunately the FAMS is piggy-backing the CBP Glock contract instead of going for a gun that seems almost purpose designed for their uses, and I don't imagine any other agency would have the possibility of becoming a customer on a significant institutional level. And, it's not like 43Xs and 48s are so popular in classes that an open-enrollment instructor is going to collect meaningful data by asking students to run instructor-provided S15 mags in classes.

A couple guys here and there across the internet with low round counts on a small sample of mags doesn't cut it for me when there's even more guys on the internet saying they've had problems.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    OK nevermind all of that.

MAG CATCH RECOMMENDATION
    We recommend swapping out your plastic OEM mag catch with either our standard steel mag catch or our premium steel mag catch. Here’s why. If you don’t swap your mag catch you may have reliability issues. If you use another manufacturer’s mag catch you may have reliability issues.
    I don’t carry my G43 very often, as I much prefer to carry my G23. However, when I need super small and concealable, my G43 with mag guts +2 magazine fits the bill nicely, and works just fine with a stock magazine release.
    https://magguts.com/product/glock-43-2-magguts/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    As ususal, @GAP is on point with this. Magpul is a cost effective training only mag for Gen 4 and earlier glocks . Shield is an expensive training only mag. OEM for life saving took purposes.
    What are the issues with magpul and gen5 glocks?

Site Supporter
    The magpull mags are not as reliable as OEM in the Gen 5 guns. My experience has been with a 26.5 and 19.5. Others here have seen the same phenomenon. My Gen 3 guns are just fine with Magpull but... OEM only for the 19.3. The 26.3 and earlier work reliably with the Magpull 12 round mags.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    What are the issues with magpul and gen5 glocks?
    I don't know enough to say whether it's specific to Gen5 Glocks and not other gens, but their issues are well documented.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....und-for-Glocks

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....lock-Magazines

I'll update my comments in those threads that to this day I have still had no trouble with the 21 round PMAGs or the 12 round PMAGs in my Gen 4 Glock 26 and Glock 19M. I eventually threw all of my 15 round and 17 round PMAGs in the garbage after no action from Magpul to stand behind their product, or even answer an email/PM/phone call about the issue.

Simply because my 12 rounders, 21 rounders, and 30 round AR15 PMAGs work well, I'll hesitate to say they're a garbage company staffed by spineless fucksticks with no business ethics, but that's where my feelings are leaning towards on the bullshit-meter. I definitely lost all of my respect for them as a company, at the very least.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't know enough to say whether it's specific to Gen5 Glocks and not other gens, but their issues are well documented.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....und-for-Glocks

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....lock-Magazines

I'll update my comments in those threads that to this day I have still had no trouble with the 21 round PMAGs or the 12 round PMAGs in my Gen 4 Glock 26 and Glock 19M. I eventually threw all of my 15 round and 17 round PMAGs in the garbage after no action from Magpul to stand behind their product, or even answer an email/PM/phone call about the issue.

Simply because my 12 rounders, 21 rounders, and 30 round AR15 PMAGs work well, I'll hesitate to say they're a garbage company staffed by spineless fucksticks with no business ethics, but that's where my feelings are leaning towards on the bullshit-meter. I definitely lost all of my respect for them as a company, at the very least.
    Interesting. I've had zero issues with a single Magul mag. 17, 15 or 30. I have so many of the 17 round ones I can't say how many rounds are on them. Mind you, I do only train with them carrying only OEM. But I've shot thousands of rounds through all my training mags in the last couple of years.

That said - I don't deny any issues people have had. I guess I just haven't spent enough time on gun forums to see the reports.

Back to Shield mags for the G48. After finding out you had to change the mag release, I didn't have much interest in them. 11 rounds in the pistol I'm nearly positive will handle any civilian encounter.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

My S15 Gen1 mags have never let me down with my shitty reloads and the few test rounds of carry ammo I tested through them. Can’t say the same about Magpul mags. I did start off with their mag catch, maybe that helped.
    #RESIST

Recently @ my range, someone who rented their G43X left their S15 mag in it when it was returned. The Range has just been using it when they loan it out. I have fired the pistol on 2 separate occasions. Ran appx. 100 rounds thru it reloading the mag. I didn’t experience any problems with the functionality of the mag. It dropped free easily. More so than the oem mags do on my 19.

The range’s G43 still has the oem polymer mag release so Im interested to see if that eventually starts to cause some issues. I’ve spoken with the staff & let them know Im interested in keeping tabs on any issues that might crop up with ppl using that mag. (…I understand it gets used in their loaner G48 also)

So if I hear anything interest concerning this, Ill post it here. 👍🏻

User Tag List