Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vickers Shoots the P320 AXG

Vickers Shoots the P320 AXG

Having some previous LE experience with the P229 I have to say the AXG kind of appeals to me. It is an interesting concept.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It’s too bad they didn’t make the frame compatible with their safety.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Yeah - I looked at what would be involved in milling one for the safety, which is a personal requirement for a carry gun. I hate breaking through the anodizing like that.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

This may be more appropriate for another thread, but is there a breakdown of all the grip modules anywhere? I have a very early run 320 full size (that I STUPIDLY sent in for their "fix" - ruined the trigger - this one was early enough where tolerances were actually adhered to, and didn't have the bump fire issue), and a 45ACP full size. I had a factory suppressor ready that I sold, after I discovered the barrel was out of spec the hard way (I guess the threads were off a bit, as somewhere around round 8, it got a baffle/endcap strike...which yanked the can/piston straight off the barrel, ruining the threads and etc. Sig replaced the barrel but I never trusted it after that).

I've got factory early grip modules (medium, large; compact, full size) for them but...is there "better" ?

The only upper end mix-and-match that I've done is bought a 357Sig upper; I've got a ton of 357Sig ammo laying around and it actually handles it pretty well...and Sig was having a sale, so...I saved money?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    This may be more appropriate for another thread, but is there a breakdown of all the grip modules anywhere? I have a very early run 320 full size (that I STUPIDLY sent in for their "fix" - ruined the trigger - this one was early enough where tolerances were actually adhered to, and didn't have the bump fire issue), and a 45ACP full size. I had a factory suppressor ready that I sold, after I discovered the barrel was out of spec the hard way (I guess the threads were off a bit, as somewhere around round 8, it got a baffle/endcap strike...which yanked the can/piston straight off the barrel, ruining the threads and etc. Sig replaced the barrel but I never trusted it after that).

I've got factory early grip modules (medium, large; compact, full size) for them but...is there "better" ?

The only upper end mix-and-match that I've done is bought a 357Sig upper; I've got a ton of 357Sig ammo laying around and it actually handles it pretty well...and Sig was having a sale, so...I saved money?
    The drop safety issues are not the result of tolerances / tolerance stacking. Your assertion that “early production” P320s are somehow immune from drop safety issues is incorrect.

I have seen considerable variance in how the “fix” for older guns was executed to the point where I don’t trust them to actually be fixed.

I have a 320 compact from the first month of production. The trigger pull was nicer before the “fix” but it’s not bad.

That’s a lot of movement out of a 9mm. One of the things I love about the 229 is how cleanly it tracks (for me, at least). The muzzle rise is minimal and tracks straight up and down with less effort on my part than many other guns. Even the .40 S&W is nice to shoot.

That could just be Larry’s current grip strength, but the P320 compact top end has a lot more muzzle rise for me than a 229. Even so, I find the P320 compact at least moves in a consistent manner in recoil, unlike the full size. I guess I’ll just have to find an AXG Classic to try try… [emoji41]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yeah - I looked at what would be involved in milling one for the safety, which is a personal requirement for a carry gun. I hate breaking through the anodizing like that.
    Business decision.

The projected market for these was fans of the traditional P series guns (none of which have manual safeties) and competition shooters.

Plus SIG likely sells 50 standard P320s for every manual safety model. If you took out the collateral m17/M18 sales it would be closer to 1,000 for every manual safety model.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    That’s a lot of movement out of a 9mm. One of the things I love about the 229 is how cleanly it tracks (for me, at least). The muzzle rise is minimal and tracks straight up and down with less effort on my part than many other guns. Even the .40 S&W is nice to shoot.

That could just be Larry’s current grip strength, but the P320 compact top end has a lot more muzzle rise for me than a 229. Even so, I find the P320 compact at least moves in a consistent manner in recoil, unlike the full size. I guess I’ll just have to find an AXG Classic to try try… [emoji41]
    The p320 full size, IME is over sprung.

The AXG benefits greatly from the mag well.

As much as I am not a fan of lightening cuts aesthetically, the P320 AXG PRO is the best tracking 320 I've shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The drop safety issues are not the result of tolerances / tolerance stacking. Your assertion that “early production” P320s are somehow immune from drop safety issues is incorrect.

I have seen considerable variance in how the “fix” for older guns was executed to the point where I don’t trust them to actually be fixed.

I have a 320 compact from the first month of production. The trigger pull was nicer before the “fix” but it’s not bad.
    My understanding of the problem (and I could be wrong) was that later production guns had much looser tolerances (or worse QC), and said looser tolerances would permit stacking such that unintended discharges were possible. An issue that early guns "probably" would not encounter without some serious gyrations to make it a problem (situations/events that could not occur in real life, unless people were actually jumping out of airplanes without parachutes, etc)

Again, that was my understanding, and it could be wrong; early guns were not nearly as susceptible to the issue as later ones were.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Business decision.

The projected market for these was fans of the traditional P series guns (none of which have manual safeties) and competition shooters.

Plus SIG likely sells 50 standard P320s for every manual safety model. If you took out the collateral m17/M18 sales it would be closer to 1,000 for every manual safety model.
    Oh, I agree. I’m pissing into the wind here.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List