Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: So...My 15 y/o nephew wants to start waterfowling

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Is 3” even necessary? I’ve never been duck hunting, but I didn’t think they’d be that hard to kill.
    If you're shooting bismuth, not really. I can see how people want to use 3" with steel, though, for a little margin of error.

Don't worry about the shotgun itself too much. Just go with his semi-auto of choice and spend time shooting skeet of sporting clays to learn how to use it. I grew up shooting Remingtons, so I use an 1100 even though it isn't the in thing. Just what works best for me.

I wouldn't say that 3" shells are necessary, but they tend to be the norm and the added versatility of accepting them is a good thing. I used 2 3/4" for years out of a fixed modified Sportsman 58 without issue for duck, geese, and turkey. I don't know anyone that uses 3 1/2" shells on the other hand. More expensive and with more recoil. Boss copper platted tends to be popular amongst the people I know right now, although I haven't actually used them yet.

If he hasn't seen it yet, this is a useful pub: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedfiles/du...stance-ocr.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    If you're shooting bismuth, not really. I can see how people want to use 3" with steel, though, for a little margin of error.
    3" came about when lead was banned for waterfowl. Steel is less dense (lighter) and not as effective because of reduced velocity. 3'' provided the extra powder and shot load to compensate. 3.5'' is used here for geese. I saw a thousand plus snow geese in a field here a few days ago in the Skagit flats so their on their way south.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 60pilot View Post
    I grew up shooting Remingtons, so I use an 1100 even though it isn't the in thing. Just what works best for me.
    My late FIL used an 1100 because that is what Remington sent him in lieu of repairing his 48. He did just fine with it for many years despite not being a dedicated gun maintenance guy, and it was a beautiful example WRT fit and finish.

For as many as have been in use around here, they are kind of rare on the used gun racks.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    I run an A300 Outlander for pheasant and sporting clays and me and my buddies have all had good luck with several A300/A391/A400. Beretta is the way to go for a semi auto shotgun, there's no reason not to.

Good choice on the Beretta, I have a A400 which is just so amazingly fast and balanced feeling. I've taken it water fowling a few times and also shoot clays with it. Purchased a 1301 comp (24" version) for my 14 year old son. Great gas guns. It's painful to use me 870 these days, lol.

Looks like the OP already made his choice, but I think you can't go wrong with Benelli either, particularly the Super Black Eagle for waterfowling. I think I would have been quite happy with that shotgun, but it does feel a bit less "substantial" (lighter and thinner?) than the Beretta, and not in a positive way.

3.5" seemed pretty useful, a goose looks a lot bigger than you'd think when it gets up close!

I can’t claim to have hunted with it (yet), but I have an A300 Outlander and have been very happy with it. It’s my budget, do everything, auto loading shotgun.

Ive shot 3” at geese where the 2 3/4” just wouldnt reach. That was as a teenager and I recall the first time I shot the 3” I fired several shots. It was afterwards I realized the recoil was driving the back of my head into the concrete roof of the underground blind. Its quite a thump compared to 2 3/4.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Good choice on the Beretta, I have a A400 which is just so amazingly fast and balanced feeling. I've taken it water fowling a few times and also shoot clays with it. Purchased a 1301 comp (24" version) for my 14 year old son. Great gas guns. It's painful to use me 870 these days, lol.

Looks like the OP already made his choice, but I think you can't go wrong with Benelli either, particularly the Super Black Eagle for waterfowling. I think I would have been quite happy with that shotgun, but it does feel a bit less "substantial" (lighter and thinner?) than the Beretta, and not in a positive way.

3.5" seemed pretty useful, a goose looks a lot bigger than you'd think when it gets up close!
    The Benelli left a bit to be desired with me in the early 90's. The inertia driven system of the M1S90 was not reliable with LE 12g loads of the time. Add a push/pull method of handling and you get a ton of failures to cycle. After having a 1301T and being absolutely thrilled with it, I was admittedly biased toward the A300/400.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List