Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Trigger assistance request

AR Trigger assistance request

Looking for opinions on AR triggers. Unfortunately I don't have a bunch of experience on different triggers to figure out what I need. On ARs I have a SOLGW Liberty fighting trigger and a Geissele SSA-E. I may be in the minority w/ the "light is right" crowd but damn this thing just feels too light for a CQB/home defense setup. Not sure where to go from here or if its possible to change out to a heavier spring. If so, does the heavier spring change it to an SSA or is it different geometry? The Larue MBT seems like an interesting option also.

What are the benefits of 1-stage vs. 2-stage? I've never shot a heavy 2-stage trigger in an AR so I don't know if getting a heavier 2-stage is the answer. For example, I hated the gen3 glock trigger, but like the rolling break gen 5 glock trigger. The 2-stages of the geissele doesn't bother me but then again, I don't feel it at all. On AKs the Arsenal trigger was really gritty and I changed it for a Tapco G2 and didn't that. I haven't shot that gun in awhile, but I think it was a single stage around 4lbs?

I will be watching this thread with interest. I am *finally* getting my AR situation optimized. The triggers are the last (and most spendy) item (aside from optics) to be addressed. I have two AR pistols for in house use, a general use rifle centered around a BCM upper, and a fourth built around a Noveske barrel intended primarily for whacking varmints at moderate range. I haven’t yet delved into how I want to set up the triggers on these yet. I have the ALG triggers in two, which are fine, but they really don’t feel much better than any other mil spec trigger that I have run. I have eyeballed the Larue offering as well, but Geissle seems to be where it’s at.

Two other random thoughts from a guy with a lot of time behind Glocks, but not a lot behind the AR. First, it would seem like having a manual safety would go a long way toward mitigating issues with a lighter trigger. Second, concurrent with that, I watched a video the other day wherein an alleged Tier 1 gent advocated for taking the slack out of a two stage trigger as soon as the safety snaps off (all of which happens as the gun is mounted). Seems legit - cept when you end up with a rifle that has a single stage trigger. That might not work out so well.

Standing by for folks who know to chime in.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I have several Larue MBTs and think that they are the best dollar value going by far. They come with a heavier spring in the box if you want it a little heavier. $100 for a tool steel wire EDM trigger? Yes please...

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I will be watching this thread with interest. I am *finally* getting my AR situation optimized. The triggers are the last (and most spendy) item (aside from optics) to be addressed. I have two AR pistols for in house use, a general use rifle centered around a BCM upper, and a fourth built around a Noveske barrel intended primarily for whacking varmints at moderate range. I haven’t yet delved into how I want to set up the triggers on these yet. I have the ALG triggers in two, which are fine, but they really don’t feel much better than any other mil spec trigger that I have run. I have eyeballed the Larue offering as well, but Geissle seems to be where it’s at.

Two other random thoughts from a guy with a lot of time behind Glocks, but not a lot behind the AR. First, it would seem like having a manual safety would go a long way toward mitigating issues with a lighter trigger. Second, concurrent with that, I watched a video the other day wherein an alleged Tier 1 gent advocated for taking the slack out of a two stage trigger as soon as the safety snaps off (all of which happens as the gun is mounted). Seems legit - cept when you end up with a rifle that has a single stage trigger. That might not work out so well.

Standing by for folks who know to chime in.
    I think I'm worried about the safety aspects of the SSA-E when when in a dynamic environment. Unless I'm paying 100% attention to the neuro sensations in my trigger finger, its very easy to blow past the second stage without even feeling it. Geissele says the second stage is .9 to 1.3 pounds. I'm curious if the SSA @ 1.5 to 1.7 pound second stage is really all that different. The MBT seems a little heavier at 2lbs but with tolerances I'm sure its all a wash. That being said, people all over the place use both as combat proven triggers so maybe I am just over thinking it.

I’ve bounced around with triggers from several manufacturers and designs.

What I’ve settled on is the Geissele G2S 2 stage. I don’t like variation between guns and with multiple AR’s I can’t get comfortable with a light trigger in a varmint gun and a heavy stock trigger in a HD gun. What I have found is the 4.5 pound National Match 2 stage type triggers offer enough weight be safe under stress and still be light enough for decent accuracy.

The LaRue with heavy springs in it is a good option too especially for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I think I'm worried about the safety aspects of the SSA-E when when in a dynamic environment. Unless I'm paying 100% attention to the neuro sensations in my trigger finger, its very easy to blow past the second stage without even feeling it. Geissele says the second stage is .9 to 1.3 pounds. I'm curious if the SSA @ 1.5 to 1.7 pound second stage is really all that different. The MBT seems a little heavier at 2lbs but with tolerances I'm sure its all a wash. That being said, people all over the place use both as combat proven triggers so maybe I am just over thinking it.
    Ssa feels like a definitive wall. You can't miss it, it's a very nice break but you know it's there. The ssa-e was too light for me also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Looking for opinions on AR triggers. Unfortunately I don't have a bunch of experience on different triggers to figure out what I need. On ARs I have a SOLGW Liberty fighting trigger and a Geissele SSA-E. I may be in the minority w/ the "light is right" crowd but damn this thing just feels too light for a CQB/home defense setup. Not sure where to go from here or if its possible to change out to a heavier spring. If so, does the heavier spring change it to an SSA or is it different geometry? The Larue MBT seems like an interesting option also.

What are the benefits of 1-stage vs. 2-stage? I've never shot a heavy 2-stage trigger in an AR so I don't know if getting a heavier 2-stage is the answer. For example, I hated the gen3 glock trigger, but like the rolling break gen 5 glock trigger. The 2-stages of the geissele doesn't bother me but then again, I don't feel it at all. On AKs the Arsenal trigger was really gritty and I changed it for a Tapco G2 and didn't that. I haven't shot that gun in awhile, but I think it was a single stage around 4lbs?
    I had the same concern with my SSA-E trigger and asked Geissele what I could do to make it a little heavier. They told me the easiest thing was to buy the SSA spare spring set https://geissele.com/ssa-spare-spring-kit.html and swap springs until I found a good pull. IIRC I ended up only replacing the trigger return spring.

I agree with TWR that the G2S has become my go-to trigger for non-precision rigs.

I've been looking at triggers lately as well.

The Wilson TTU Mil/LE sounds pretty promising. 5lb, super crisp single action trigger thats supposed to be 1911 like.

They also offer the TTU, same super crisp SA trigger, but in the 3.5-4lb range, which is what I'm leaning towards.

I'm hoping at SHOT this year to be able to play with all the different AR triggers to make a decision.

I also wondered about two stage until I just tried the LaRue. I think the first stage prep would make it tough to inadvertently stress fire, but the heavy spring is part of the kit.

We have been making some rather demanding shots in our local three gun matches and I have really been appreciating it.

And the cost made it easier to standardize on.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I have several Larue MBTs and think that they are the best dollar value going by far. They come with a heavier spring in the box if you want it a little heavier. $100 for a tool steel wire EDM trigger? Yes please...
    To quote Uncle Pat...."If Larue is an option, Larue is the answer".

This is my next upgrade. Every once in a while the can be had for $85.

pat

User Tag List