Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Extended Magazine Release-And Why I Switched Mine Back To The OEM One

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I've gone back to stock on all of mine as well. Not sure if anyone else has run into this but, the gen4 and gen5 release obviously encroaches closer towards your support hand. If your support hand grip is remotely aggressive and rotated forward, you end up all kinds of surrounding the g4/g5 mag release. Too close for my comfort, but I've also been known to worry about "things that don't matter", so YMMV.
    I thought about installing OEM extended magazine releases on my Glocks but noted the same thing. I have short fingers but meaty palms and I didn't want to risk activating a mag release when I don't mean to.

Site Supporter
    My work around to the real issues ID'ed by the OP (on a brace of G34s and G35s) is to simply remove some material from the OEM Gen 1-3 extended.

While it is easier to be more uniform/precise removing said material with the mag release uninstalled from the pistol, one can do a serviceable job with the mag release in place.

For that application, my "tool" of choice is a 2 or 4 way emery board and just go slow.

I have no experience with any Gen 4/5 units.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I rather like the Gen4/5 extended and have it on all of mine. It really isn't more proud than the stock at all, and I've never had issues with uncommanded releases. Are these similar to the ones people upthread referred to as the "FBI" version?

I started using the Vickers releases on my slimlines.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I disengaged the OEM standard release on the Gen 5 G26 once or twice.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I disengaged the OEM standard release on the Gen 5 G26 once or twice.
    I have a problem with the square front on the OEM Gen5 - I can see that happening.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have a problem with the square front on the OEM Gen5 - I can see that happening.
    I think it was when I had the 12 round OEM loaded in the gun. Tighter fit, with more tension on the spring.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    I ran both the TD/Vickers mag release and slide stop for years on several Gen 4 19’s without issue. Tens of thousands or rounds and draws. In ‘17 I had to have my left (support hand) wrist rebuilt after an accident. Had to relearn my grip, press-out and hold with a wrist that only has 25% movement and wont roll forward. Started dumping mags and stoping/inducing slide locks…been stock Glock ever since.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Gen 3 OEM extended release sticks out quite a bit. Bill Rodgers first showed me how he removed material to make them smaller.
    I kinda McGuyvered' that one on my own right around when I first registered here probably. I just took a set of files and took them down until I could turn the gun over with an empty mag inserted and push down on the gun against a table without ejecting the mag. They end up more or less Vickers sized. Still use them on a bunch of my guns today.

I use the Vickers on my 19.4s, and I've never had holster/grip/laying on side unintentional releases. I also shoot right-handed, but have the releases set up for use by my trigger finger, so that may play into the issue.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List