Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Extended Magazine Release-And Why I Switched Mine Back To The OEM One

I put the extended magazine and slide release on my retro P80… prefer it due to having larger hands.

Never had an accidental magazine release.

I like the Glock extended slide release-I've got it on all on mine too.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    My early Sig's stamped with other brand names had heel releases as did my P-38's. Always I have preferred them. I have had a couple custom holsters dump 1911 mags.

Site Supporter
    Ran a stock Glock 17 gen 4 for 8 years - no issues with the stock mag release.

I've run or participated in training for hundreds of LEOs with gen 3, 4, and 5/M Glock 17, 19, 26 and I've never seen a mag dump inadvertently with stock mag releases on any of them.

I have seen mags dumped inadvertently a few times from stock SIG P365/ 365 XLs and multiple by a shooter using a Staccato P Duo in a recent class.

Re the Glock Extended slide lock - I despise it. I've both experienced and seen it induce malfunctions by locking the slide with rounds remaining in the magazine. I've seen this occur with both large handed shooters such as myself and small handed shooters so it seems to be related to grip rather than hand size.

I have the OEM extended releases on all my Glocks (all Gen 5), just placed one of them on a hard flat surface and pressed down hard, wiggled it around every which way to try and get the magazine to release with and without a X300U on it and…nothing. In the Safariland holster I use at work I’ve fallen on the gun, rolled around on the ground with it and smashed it on block walls while climbing over them and never had a magazine pop out. I have Wilson extended magazine releases on all my 1911 that I’ve used extensively in USPSA and on table starts I lay the gun magazine release down and have never had it release a magazine…is this something that happens often to you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I have the OEM extended releases on all my Glocks (all Gen 5), just placed one of them on a hard flat surface and pressed down hard, wiggled it around every which way to try and get the magazine to release with and without a X300U on it and…nothing. In the Safariland holster I use at work I’ve fallen on the gun, rolled around on the ground with it and smashed it on block walls while climbing over them and never had a magazine pop out. I have Wilson extended magazine releases on all my 1911 that I’ve used extensively in USPSA and on table starts I lay the gun magazine release down and have never had it release a magazine…is this something that happens often to you guys?
    The issue with Glock extended magazine releases is regarding the extended release Glock makes for Gen 1-3 Glocks; Gen4 and Gen5 releases (in general, and also regarding the extended ones for them) have less protrusiveness.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Never seen any downsides to a Tango Down/Vickers release in Gen3, Gen4-5, or slimline Glocks. A marked improvement over the stock releases.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Never seen any downsides to a Tango Down/Vickers release in Gen3, Gen4-5, or slimline Glocks. A marked improvement over the stock releases.
    A previously reported downside to the Vickers/Tango Down slide releases had to do with weak or defective springs on them; I don't know if it's been substantiated or resolved.

I've been perfectly content with the Glock extended slide stop/release component, but I've heard of others having ergonomic issues with it, and/or experiencing premature slide lockback with it due to hand size/grip positioning.

Mine have been used without issue on all my Glocks from 2003 forward.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A previously reported downside to the Vickers/Tango Down slide releases had to do with weak or defective springs on them; I don't know if it's been substantiated or resolved.

I've been perfectly content with the Glock extended slide stop/release component, but I've heard of others having ergonomic issues with it, and/or experiencing premature slide lockback with it due to hand size/grip positioning.

Mine have been used without issue on all my Glocks from 2003 forward.

Best, Jon
    I have an old thumb injury, and a stock Glock slide release hurts like hell. I’ve been using the Glock extendeds for years, but started trying the Vickers ones - the extra with makes it just doable. I still have the Glock ones in case the Vickers ones shit the bed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Sorry, I was referring to the Tango Down Mag releases. I only use OEM slide releases.

User Tag List