Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glock Extended Magazine Release-And Why I Switched Mine Back To The OEM One

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Several years ago, a great friend of mine provided me with two Glock Extended Magazine releases for my Gen 3 G17 and G19. What I really wanted was the FBI one; AKA the Magazine Release Glock Allegedly Kiped From Larry Vickers (whether or not that's actually true, I don't know). However, those at the time I was in the hunt was pretty much unobtanium, so I went with the full-blown Glock Extended.

Mechanically, they worked just fine, and provided me with some nice stand-off distance from the receiver for my releasing finger to make it easiier to access and activate; and they're relatively sharp corners really didn't bother or affect me at all.

However, there were two downsides; 1), if you placed the gun release-side down on a flat, ungiving surface (like a nightstand table top) and inadvertantly pushed down, youi'd trigger the release; 2), Similarly, if you holstered the Glock with the Extended Release in a high-wall holster, where the release-side holster wall impacted on the release extension, it could inadvertantly activate the magazine release, and you'd be unknowingly have a single-shot pistol.

Obviously, there were some practical work-arounds: For nightstand use, I avoided the issue simply by propping the slide on an immovable raised object on the nightstand, which both pre-positioned the Glock for easier grabbing and kept the extended release out of trouble. And for carry, I simply judiciously chose appropriate holsters, ones that had cut-outs or no material around the magazinew release area that could impact on the magazine release.

However, I inevitably rigged up one day with a non-compliant holster, one that I am T&Eing. And I strolled out EDC'd. And when I got home, I discovered that the holster/release impact had indeed activated the release. The magazine was fractionally disengaged from the retaining catch-lowering the magazine sufficiently to preclude the slide feeder rail from stripping out and chambering cartridges from the magazine-and I was noncholantly strolling around with a single-shot pistol...

And while I liked the stand-off distance provided by the extended release, I literally can't recall a time where I fumbled to access or had any difficulties in activating the OEM release. It may take a slightly more forceful/deliberate effort, but that's simply not a big deal, and effort that I normally expend anyhow when activating a magazine release.

So-back to the OEM release on both the G17 and G19. And unless I choose or convert all my appropriate Glock holsters so that they can't inadvertantly impact on a magazine release, prudence dictated that where I'm at is where I'll stay (unless I dedicate any gun to being specifically a game gun, with a specific game holster-which I certainly don't see happening with the Glocks concerned.

So, not that the extended release is a Bad Thing per se, or that they (in my case, the Glock component) don't work and work effectively. But for me, they turned out to be not the best idea. YMMV. And I realize that if I really want a quality intermediate-length extended magazine release for my Glocks, there's the Vickers one, which my understanding is the same size as the FBI component; an intermediate between the Glock OEM and Extended length, with less chance of inadvertant release, but going that route would cast me out of SSP into ESP in IDPA. Not exactly the end of life as we know it, but for the time being I'll just stick with the Glock original component

Best, Jon
    After a few years of hearing how the Vickers mag release was a must have I put them on a few guns - G26, G19, G17. Soon on the two smaller guns I found myself leaving seated positions with a released magazine and took them off and returned to OEM. Problem solved. On the 17 it never occurred. I theorized the geometry etc of the full size grip may effect some sort of clearance for it. Never have seen an issue with the G19X or G45 OEM either.

Lesson learned. I never struggled with hitting the OEM part on those guns and resolved to leave that shit alone.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    After a few years of hearing how the Vickers mag release was a must have I put them on a few guns - G26, G19, G17. Soon on the two smaller guns I found myself leaving seated positions with a released magazine and took them off and returned to OEM. Problem solved. On the 17 it never occurred. I theorized the geometry etc of the full size grip may effect some sort of clearance for it. Never have seen an issue with the G19X or G45 OEM either.

Lesson learned. I never struggled with hitting the OEM part on those guns and resolved to leave that shit alone.
    The only Vickers magazine releases I use are for the slimlines. I haven’t had any issues with them.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I guess this thread would be another reason to try a Gen5 if prices ever get back to pre-dempanic normal.

Some time back, I read of the "flat surface test" and tried it on some stuff. Put all flavors of B92 extended mag catch I had up for sale. I'm blessed with long fingers and the stock one works fine for me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

For shits and giggles, I just unholstered my 19.5 MOS/RMR/TLR7 which has the Glock OEM extended "FBI" (SP08794) catch in it, laid it on our (very sturdy) kitchen table pointing in a safe direction, then put my full body weight straight down on the gun with an open palm... All I accomplished was lifting my feet off the floor for a second, while I shifted weight a little in different directions trying to replicate the mag release/table issue. No dice. Magazine stayed secure, and I could feel zero give. I don't think it's depressing at all, between the "thumb rest" molded into the grip, the extended Gen5 magwell flare, and the flat body of the TLR7 being basically the exact width of the frame. There just isn't any give.

I'll try it again later without the TLR installed, and see what happens, but I'm guessing there wont be a difference. Not scientific, single result, don't take my word for it, etc.

I am however, 100% sure my Gen3 19 with the long OEM catch would fail this test. It is visibly long enough to protrude beyond everything else on the side of the gun.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Gen 3 OEM extended release sticks out quite a bit. Bill Rodgers first showed me how he removed material to make them smaller.

The Gen 4/5 OEM is only marginally larger than stock. I believe that it was developed for the Feds. It does seem enough bigger to create issues with holsters or lying on a flat surface.

USPSA competitors with large paddle style mag releases, commonly place the pistol down on a surface with the mag release up.
    I've had a couple Gen 3 extended releases that I sanded down and stippled. They're pretty long.

OTOH I've got a couple Hyves which I really like, and the length is somewhere between "regular" and extended. I really like those, but the downside is the aluminum chews up mags much more noticeably than polymer. Not enough for the average joe to care about, but if you're practicing reloads fairly often you'll see the notches on the mags start to curl.

User Tag List