I have various and sundry red dots and 3x and 4x magnifiers on a variety of rifles and generally have the magnifier snugged up close to the dot. On my X95, I have a SPARC solar on a Geissele 1/3 cowitness mount about the middle of the rail and a Juliet 3 Micro. The micro has a fairly small eye box and I found that if I slide it all the way back to the end of the rail, it puts it in a sweet spot with my normal cheek weld, and it still allows the rear back up iron site to fold up. The 1/3 cowitness mount actually gives me a true cowitness with the back ups, which is cool because the red dot makes a good ghost ring in a pinch. Is there any doctrine or practical reason that says the magnifier has to be smack ass against the red dot? I'm right handed and left eye dominant so when I shoot with the magnifier it's pretty much with my left eye closed, if that makes any difference. I can see how there might be more reflection off one lens or another under certain lighting conditions, but so far I've only shot that combo at the covered outdoor range without direct sunlight on me.