Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 magazine “dimple” remover

870 magazine “dimple” remover

I’m finally getting around to spending more time with my 870 and I bought a Wilson Combat +1 extension. I know I’ll need to remove the dimples in the existing magazine tube and I’ve poked around a bit on Google to see how others are doing it.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did you do it (dremel, drill, punch)? I know I can buy a rod/punch that is made to press them back out but I’m hoping to avoid having to do so since it’ll likely get used once and then shelved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually drill them. I tried the swaging tool once and it feels like something is going to break as you hammer it in.

Pilot hole, larger hole, polish any burrs on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I usually drill them. I tried the swaging tool once and it feels like something is going to break as you hammer it in.

Pilot hole, larger hole, polish any burrs on the inside.
    This. Easiest way.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I used a sanding drum on a Dremel followed by a Cratex wheel to make everything smooth, followed by a thorough cleaning to get all the grit out of the action and tube, followed by cold blue inside the mag tube, followed by the realization that the barrel ring covers the dimple site.

I’ll just drill the next one.

Site Supporter
    My gunsmith removed dimples from a magazine tube by drilling through them. I observed that without using a drill press this method appeared awkward because the drill tended to "wander" on the tube's round surface. Afterwards removing burrs from tube's interior was necessary. I pointed this out. The shotgun was an FN pump, and the degree of hardness of the tube's steel surprised us both. Veteran gunsmiths who work on shotguns have tools to remove dents from shotgun barrels. If you live near one who charges a reasonable fee, that might be a good option. The ham fisted can damage mag tubes when beating on them. Getting the tool stuck is one way. Once I got a wooden dowel rod stuck in a rifle's bore when beating on my end to push out a lodged cast bullet. The rod splintered and got wedged between bullet and barrel. Now I am faint of heart(and ham fisted too).

Very simple hammer and dolly work.
    Use a smooth round metal rod, deep well socket, etc… that is slightly smaller than the Internal diameter of mag tube.
    Clamp rod in vise
    Slide mag tube on rod past dimples , keep it straight. This can be done with the barrel , mag spring, follower removed and pump cycled back or you can remove pump mechanism.
    Use a Smooth face hammer and tap the dimple area of the tube against the inserted round bar.
    Tap lightly and move tube such that you smooth the detent to match the rest of the tube inside diameter . Do this for all the detents.
    Take tube off rod and feel with finger for smoothness.

Repeat as needed, go lightly and check often.

This does not remove metal or leave holes.

I did 4 of these in an hour with no issues.

Thank you my pf.com golden nuggets. I started off with a socket and a hammer but lost confidence. Drilled pilot holes and then worked my way up to 1/4”. Filed away any remained raised edges, smoothed everything up and then cleaned up the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice that you got it done, but for any future reference.

https://xssights.com/remington-870-m...-too-12-gauge/

This, a crap ton of grease, and a go slow. Work it in a little bit at a time. Once it is in, brass punch the dimples, and twist the swage to loosen it up.

Sockets… while I know people use them, you only pay for the inside diameter to be correct. I feel some people get lucky, but I didn’t want to attempt that.

Here is the measurement of the swage, if someone wants to confirm the socket size.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My gunsmith removed dimples from a magazine tube by drilling through them. I observed that without using a drill press this method appeared awkward because the drill tended to "wander" on the tube's round surface. Afterwards removing burrs from tube's interior was necessary. I pointed this out. The shotgun was an FN pump, and the degree of hardness of the tube's steel surprised us both. Veteran gunsmiths who work on shotguns have tools to remove dents from shotgun barrels. If you live near one who charges a reasonable fee, that might be a good option. The ham fisted can damage mag tubes when beating on them. Getting the tool stuck is one way. Once I got a wooden dowel rod stuck in a rifle's bore when beating on my end to push out a lodged cast bullet. The rod splintered and got wedged between bullet and barrel. Now I am faint of heart(and ham fisted too).
    I have done two 870s.
    The first time I drilled out. What seems simple is not always so simple. I ended up spending an hour polishing the burrs out with a Dremel.

The second time I used socket trick. It worked, but when I went to use an aftermarket no-tilt follower, I again had to polish out the internals of the tube to prevent intermittent binding.

Just don’t buy an 870.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Very simple hammer and dolly work.
    Use a smooth round metal rod, deep well socket, etc… that is slightly smaller than the Internal diameter of mag tube.
    Clamp rod in vise
    Slide mag tube on rod past dimples , keep it straight. This can be done with the barrel , mag spring, follower removed and pump cycled back or you can remove pump mechanism.
    Use a Smooth face hammer and tap the dimple area of the tube against the inserted round bar.
    Tap lightly and move tube such that you smooth the detent to match the rest of the tube inside diameter . Do this for all the detents.
    Take tube off rod and feel with finger for smoothness.

Repeat as needed, go lightly and check often.

This does not remove metal or leave holes.

I did 4 of these in an hour with no issues.
    =======================================

I guess I was not clear.

I am NOT using the socket/ smooth bar as a swage. I am using the rod as an dolly/anvil.

I used something about 1/8" smaller in diameter than inside mag tube diameter. Rod must be smooth and small enough to get past the detents.

Rod serves as an anvil inside the tube. Tap the outside of tube on detent until it is smooth inside and out.

Use a smooth face hammer and go with a bunch of light strikes. Repeat for each detent.

Feel with finger for smoothness. Check for smooth follower travel.

I have not had to polish or file the tube inside or outside.

I am running Vang Comp metal magazine followers with no issues.

User Tag List