Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoot to incapacitate

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Can you link to a news story for more details? Sometimes officers don't hit what they are aiming at, could it be the officer was trying to hit center mass and doesn't deserve to be under the bus for anything but bad marksmanship under more stress than competition?

I'm sure some of the agency's officers aren't happy with the policy - it's kind of a made for second guessing policy regardless of what the officer does.
    I won't comment on the details but here is the release.

https://gbi.georgia.gov/press-releas...icide-lagrange

Thanks for taking the time to do that!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    I was first introduced to the “shoot to incapacitate” concept when either attending the NYPD firearms instructor course or Glock’s transition instructor course in the early 90’s. I’m sorry for not recalling exactly. The concept was intended to provide officers the ability to explain their intended outcome of use of force. Instead of “shooting to kill” or wound, the purpose of deadly force was to cause “rapid incapacitation” through blood loss. That is accomplished by punching big/many holes that drains blood resulting in low to no blood pressure. When training to that standard, it means keep shooting until your adversary stops doing what they are doing. Sometimes people die. Sometimes people do not. End result—they stop doing what they were doing to get shot.

"I shot to rapidly incapacitate the suspect”.
    “I ballistically deescalated the situation.”
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Awesome. Way to go, great pub!

It is all information that has been well known since the late 1980's, yet much seems to have been forgotten--for example in LaGrange, Georgia......
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List