Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: eForms coming back

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Not arguing with you (really!)

But Joe is the boss.
    We're still the customers. Both from as the people they "Protect and Serve", and as the ones paying for the service, both through our income tax, and our NFA taxes. If I'm writing you a check, I'm definitely a customer.

But I get what you're saying, and share your frustration.
    Valid points and no offense taken at all!

If I had to guess, and I mean guess, I would say they're probably completely overwhelmed with a massive uptake of business. I say that because I have two friends in separate retail institutions locally who say that silencer shop has been a bear to deal with lately. It's their opinion that they were completely unprepared for a massive surge of business with e-forms being rolled out.

Would love to see some stats on how many forms have been filed since things rolled out earlier this year.

But no matter how you slice it, it's always frustrating dealing with the entire NFA process.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Valid points and no offense taken at all!

If I had to guess, and I mean guess, I would say they're probably completely overwhelmed with a massive uptake of business. I say that because I have two friends in separate retail institutions locally who say that silencer shop has been a bear to deal with lately. It's their opinion that they were completely unprepared for a massive surge of business with e-forms being rolled out.

Would love to see some stats on how many forms have been filed since things rolled out earlier this year.

But no matter how you slice it, it's always frustrating dealing with the entire NFA process.
    I'll bet you're right.
    I'll freely admit that the idea that I could use eForms and have SBR approval in a matter of weeks certainly motivated me. That, and wanting to get ahead of the rush that will likely follow the new "Braced Pistol" rules in August.

8 days…

Rattler SBR form one approved in 8 days….

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Rattler SBR form one approved in 8 days….
    Ok, this is starting to piss me off. I’m at almost 60 days for mine. Are you doing a trust or individual?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ok, this is starting to piss me off. I’m at almost 60 days for mine. Are you doing a trust or individual?
    Individual. I submit it on my phone and mail the fingerprint cards the next day.

I still for the life of me have never been able to figure out why a form 1 can be done in such a short timer whereas a form 4 takes much much longer.

The background check, excetera should take the exact same amount of time. I can't imagine there being that much more paperwork involved with a form 4.

Anyone heard any good explanations for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I'll bet you're right.
    I'll freely admit that the idea that I could use eForms and have SBR approval in a matter of weeks certainly motivated me. That, and wanting to get ahead of the rush that will likely follow the new "Braced Pistol" rules in August.
    Same boat here.

Just got my first form 1 done for converting a braced pistol to SBR. That took two separate submissions since I screwed the first one up and they have a zero-tolerance policy for screw-ups apparently. Unless there's a major change to the upcoming braced pistol rules I will most likely be submitting at least two more in the near future.

I have also purchased more suppressors in the past six months than I have in the past two or three years combined. I should point out that the first two of these were purchased back before I knew that e-forms were going to be a thing. This was followed quickly by some reading and researching and the decision to do most of my plinking as well as most if not all of my hunting suppressed this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I did a Form 4 Individual for a can in May 2021 at a Silencer Co. kiosk. CRICKETS! @ 355 days now!

382 days from check cashed to stamp at shop for my mask.22, over twice as long as it took for my last can a year and a half ago!! both were paper form 4 individual. Dude at shop said they just got their first efile stamp back, it was filed in Late January.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I still for the life of me have never been able to figure out why a form 1 can be done in such a short timer whereas a form 4 takes much much longer.

The background check, excetera should take the exact same amount of time. I can't imagine there being that much more paperwork involved with a form 4.

Anyone heard any good explanations for this one?
    I think you'll see the timelines converge (they already have with eForms), but they'll likely get to the point where they are about the same. I'm pretty sure that the difference has to do with examiner tasking (some primarily do certain Form types). As the paper backlog is cleared on 4s, more of the examiners tasked to paper forms will be reassigned to eForms. Form 1s were already electronic, so there isn't a large existing workload of paper Form 1s to clear. When the Form 4 paper backlog is cleared, eForm 4s and 1s should take about the same time. (assuming no crazy demand change that the existing number of NFA examiners simply can't handle).

User Tag List