Thread: RFI: Anyone Xfr’d an MG on an F4 Lately?

RFI: Anyone Xfr’d an MG on an F4 Lately?

Has anyone here transferred a machine gun lately on a Form 4? Specifically has anyone mailed hard copies into NFA for an MG xfer, NOT using the e-forms? If so what was your timeframe etc w/ that experience?

Asking as I’m about to transfer my sold M16 to the buyers SOT so gathering recent data etc before I start the process this week.

Not recently, but I've owned a high-single-digit number of machineguns during my life and I currently only own one, so I've done a few outbound form 4's, all but one to SOTs. Every time to an SOT took maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds of the time that other people were claiming for inbound form 4's around that time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Has anyone here transferred a machine gun lately on a Form 4? Specifically has anyone mailed hard copies into NFA for an MG xfer, NOT using the e-forms? If so what was your timeframe etc w/ that experience?

Asking as I’m about to transfer my sold M16 to the buyers SOT so gathering recent data etc before I start the process this week.
    Do e forms if you can.

Most of the NFA staff are teleworkers. I’m told getting paper forms input into ATF’s system is one of the most time consuming steps.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Not recently, but I've owned a high-single-digit number of machineguns during my life and I currently only own one, so I've done a few outbound form 4's, all but one to SOTs. Every time to an SOT took maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds of the time that other people were claiming for inbound form 4's around that time.
    Understood/agreed as I’m down to an MP5 after this & no doubt the M16 going to an SOT *should* be quicker than to an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do e forms if you can.
    Unfortunately, only SOTs can do eForm 4's.

Clarification needed, sold M16’s on an F4 & buyer’s in another state. Dealer here said I can F4 it direct to the buyer’s SOT out of state, then buyer F4’s it from that dealer to himself. Can I F4 it direct to his SOT in another state or do I F4 it to my local SOT & he F3’s it to the buyers SOT?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Clarification needed, sold M16’s on an F4 & buyer’s in another state. Dealer here said I can F4 it direct to the buyer’s SOT out of state, then buyer F4’s it from that dealer to himself. Can I F4 it direct to his SOT in another state or do I F4 it to my local SOT & he F3’s it to the buyers SOT?
    You transfer it directly to the FFL/SOT in another state, just like you would transfer a non-NFA firearm, except there has to be an approved ATF form to transfer the gun at each step. I don't know why, but it's a common misconception that a non-FFL/SOT can only transfer an NFA firearm to an FFL/SOT in the same state.

TY @CleverNickname as that lines up w/ what I was told by my last SOT that's a 20+ yr. FFL/SOT.

User Tag List