Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Modifying a Kydex holster

RFI: Modifying a Kydex holster

I got a Phlster Enigma a while back and waited for a compatible holster. I got the holster a few months ago and never really gave it a good try. The holster is from IKC and works well with the Enigma but I'm having trouble with it mainly due to the bump out for the unused clip. It makes the whole package thicker than it needs to be and doesn't work well for deep carry.

I'd like to flatten out this area but I want to do it right. I figure there are enough chaps here that have done this sort of thing. I think I have the tools to do it, just need some instruction.

Can anyone here help a DIYer out?

Name:  IMG_20211203_125042.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  71.3 KB
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

In my experience, that is going to be very tricky to accomplish. The area you wish to flatten is very large and it flows into both the sight channel and the trigger guard. I'm not sure if I could successfully heat just the required area without affecting the rest of the holster. It's also the mouth of the holster so you have to get it right to prevent obstructing the gun on insertion. And if I did manage it, it would probably look like a hot mess when I was done.
    My advice is to get a different holster. What gun is it for that you had to wait for a compatible holster?

Walther PPS Classic

I'm not so concerned if it looks like a hot mess as long as it works and is thinner.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Walther PPS Classic

I'm not so concerned if it looks like a hot mess as long as it works and is thinner.
    Easiest solution would be to Dremel off the bump.

Second easiest solution would be to cut the vertical part of the bump off and heat and sandwich the remaining part flat with two thin blocks of wood.

Most bubba way would be to use a BIC lighter or Brûlée torch and just heat the angled parts of the bump and then use a flat head screwdriver to flatten the bump.

Walther PPS Classic

Name:  3E45D3D3-591F-453D-AE7D-FBF74E6F4604.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  056DE8E8-62A6-4576-84B0-935BDB9307B2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.1 KB

Dremeled off the bump yesterday of an ambi holster.

Walther PPS Classic

Name:  60A17F28-E0A1-48FE-8A7A-C89488F421A7.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  70.9 KB

I would take a Dremel cutting wheel and cut that part of the holster out and then smooth the new edges.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

You could cut it off, but you could probably flatten in down somewhat with heat.

A heat gun is your friend in this. Heat, and a couple of small boards or plastic chunks, to "sandwich" the hump and press it flat, as it were.

I'd try that first, and if it's impossible to flatten without altering the rest of the holster too much, then just cut.

Auto parts stores sell heat guns (Harbor Freight too). A small one will suffice, it's what I use for holster shaping. Works alot better than a lighter.

Site Supporter
    I got a Phlster Enigma a while back and waited for a compatible holster. I got the holster a few months ago and never really gave it a good try. The holster is from IKC and works well with the Enigma but I'm having trouble with it mainly due to the bump out for the unused clip. It makes the whole package thicker than it needs to be and doesn't work well for deep carry.

I'd like to flatten out this area but I want to do it right. I figure there are enough chaps here that have done this sort of thing. I think I have the tools to do it, just need some instruction.

Can anyone here help a DIYer out?

Name:  IMG_20211203_125042.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  71.3 KB
    Get 2 small blocks of wood to fit the area and some gloves. Warm the edges of the bump with a heat gun carefully and then sandwich the area and press it flat. I would have one block on the inside as you warm the area when you start. Then sandwich the Kydex and press it down. It won't take much and don't get carried away with the heat. Direct the flow of the heat away from the rest of the holster and you should be fine.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Name:  IMG_6892.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  37.4 KB

Make sure it's really Kydex, not one of those injection molded ones.

User Tag List