Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this grip, trigger control or operator headspace and timing?

Is this grip, trigger control or operator headspace and timing?

Or D: all of the above?

Just shot this at 7 yards offhand slow fire with a 22/45.
    Name:  5745C0CA-9C1A-4BAE-A5BA-07F19209977B.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  39.6 KB

Ignore the shot order, I had to guess.

I’m trying the “grip lightly with strong hand and crush with support hand” technique. Is stringing like this more of a grip or trigger control issue? Or both with operator error thrown in?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Did you check to make sure that your sights aren't loose?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Yes. Also shot a similar pattern from a new to me 96G and a more vertical pattern from a 92C right after the 22/45. Over the past hour things have gotten better with the 22/45s but I’d still like to know what brought that on. My last range trip started like that and never improved even though 2-3 trips before that were showing I was becoming more consistent and even slightly improving.

If it’s a “me” issue (beyond improper grip or trigger) I need to figure out if it’s a physical problem (I do have hand and wrist issues) or something mental.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Try that from a bench rest position. Cuz that’s a lot of movement. That’s the way to know for sure.

1. Vision: Are you shooting irons or dot? If irons, I'd say pay a lot more attention to sight alignment. If dot, are you focusing on the dot or the target (should be the target).
    2. Grip: In my experience the "strong support/loose firing hand" thing is a bad idea and usually gets overdone. I'm not a bullseye master, but from what I've seen in real life and on the internet with pretty decent shooters, I can shoot a pistol above average at 25yd+ in precision (bullseye, if you will) type shooting. That said, I use a decent amount of grip pressure in my strong hand. Now, the place you put that pressure matters a lot so you don't end up milking the grip, but between where my middle finger contacts the frontstrap and where the web of my hand hits the backstrap, there's a pretty decent amount of pressure. Take that for what you will.
    3. Trigger can certainly be an issue as well, but in my experience for a shooter with any experience whatsoever that usually manifests as a group with a couple flyers (usually low and left for a RH shooter). Your pic doesn't indicate this to me.

In my own journey to success with precision pistol shooting, grip was the real magic. The vision part is easy to solve as long as you just pay attention to what you're seeing. Trigger is about building muscle memory and discipline (like lifting weights in a gym).
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
    Try that from a bench rest position. Cuz that’s a lot of movement. That’s the way to know for sure.
    Could be. Personally I suck at shooting a pistol from a bench. I can shoot much better freestyle than from a rest with a pistol.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've seen .22 caliber pistols with heavily leaded barrels that had horrific accuracy even keyholing at 21 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    1. Vision: Are you shooting irons or dot? If irons, I'd say pay a lot more attention to sight alignment.
    That pistol is irons (FO front, blacked out rear) and my vision has become…suboptimal. Later in the session I brought out the other 22/45 which has a dot and I didn’t have near that kind of pattern offhand at the same distance.

Sometime this weekend I hope to hit the outdoor range to bench some rifles. If I can make it happen then I’ll bench both 22/45s and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I've seen .22 caliber pistols with heavily leaded barrels that had horrific accuracy even keyholing at 21 feet.
    This is a new upper that has less than 200 rounds through it, all CCI SV, so I don’t think that’s the case here. It’s possible but I don’t think it’s probable.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’m trying the “grip lightly with strong hand and crush with support hand” technique. Is stringing like this more of a grip or trigger control issue? Or both with operator error thrown in?
    You are describing a method of shooting fast with acceptable accuracy, as opposed to shooting small groups -- where less crush can reduce tension that finds it way from your support hand into your trigger finger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List