Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W full-size 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A little thread drift, but someone once mentioned that neither Hornady Critical Duty or Corbon Pow-r-ball are considered to be "hollowpoints" by New Jersey. I'd check that out, but yeah, hardball or SWC would be the way to go otherwise.
    I remember reading about that somewhere too that because of that little polymer plastic plug or whatever it is that’s inside the front of the bullet on either the critical duty or the critical defense that even by New Jersey standards, that doesn’t really even classify as a true hollowpoint but still does the same thing which makes me laugh in New Jersey for having such a stupid rule against outlawing hollow point ammunition….well, for self defense purposes, anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    TGO's favorite 1911 is a .40, and can go major or minor depending upon the match. It also has a 14 ounce trigger.

These are high dollar custom guns, and you better get good at tuning magazines. On the other hand, as hard as it is to get a .40 right, you have to work even harder to make a .45 not run.
    Truth. For me, the 1911 is .45 only. I don't want to have to get good at mag tuning or anything else to make them work.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A lot of really good information here. I don’t know what my buddy’s gonna do as far as obtaining a 40 caliber 1911. Guess he’ll just have to do some shopping and searching around to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    It looks like it’s still there to me.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/
    Hope it does make it to market. I was looking at the CZ-USA site.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A little thread drift, but someone once mentioned that neither Hornady Critical Duty or Corbon Pow-r-ball are considered to be "hollowpoints" by New Jersey. I'd check that out, but yeah, hardball or SWC would be the way to go otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I remember reading about that somewhere too that because of that little polymer plastic plug or whatever it is that’s inside the front of the bullet on either the critical duty or the critical defense that even by New Jersey standards, that doesn’t really even classify as a true hollowpoint but still does the same thing which makes me laugh in New Jersey for having such a stupid rule against outlawing hollow point ammunition….well, for self defense purposes, anyways.

On the NJ HP thing, as I recall the NJ state police have said CD and Pow-r-ball are not HP but it's the opinion of the VERY anti-gun NJ Attorney General's that counts.

A safer option is the Federal EFMJ (Expanding FMJ) which is an FMJ round with a rubber core inside the nose of the striated metal jacket followed by a lead core. When it hits something the lead core compresses the rubber core causing the striations to pop and tip of the jack to implode pushing the forward portion of the jacket to expand.

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...MJBrochure.pdf

I know a lot of 1911 fans who conducer RIA to be unacceptable, but I have two and while rough they work.
    https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria...ltra-fs-40-sw/

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    On the NJ HP thing, as I recall the NJ state police have said CD and Pow-r-ball are not HP but it's the opinion of the VERY anti-gun NJ Attorney General's that counts.

A safer option is the Federal EFMJ (Expanding FMJ) which is an FMJ round with a rubber core inside the nose of the striated metal jacket followed by a lead core. When it hits something the lead core compresses the rubber core causing the striations to pop and tip of the jack to implode pushing the forward portion of the jacket to expand.

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...MJBrochure.pdf
    I knew I’ve seen something like that before a long time ago and it was the Federal Premium Guard Dog but it’s funny you bring that up because even though those ones you posted and these guard dogs don’t look all scary-like and evil as your typical expanded HST’s or Speer Gold Dots but those other ones still do the same thing pretty much as a real hollow point so I don’t understand why they made it a law against a real hollow point but hey, that’s Liberal logic for you….LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I know a lot of 1911 fans who conducer RIA to be unacceptable, but I have two and while rough they work.
    https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria...ltra-fs-40-sw/
    I’ve had 4-5 Rocks over the years and they’ve been perfectly acceptable for my admittedly low expectations from them. They’re certainly not high on my list of a serious use/all the marbles game gun but I’d have no real issues picking one of those up as a “fun gun”.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I knew I’ve seen something like that before a long time ago and it was the Federal Premium Guard Dog but it’s funny you bring that up because even though those ones you posted and these guard dogs don’t look all scary-like and evil as your typical expanded HST’s or Speer Gold Dots but those other ones still do the same thing pretty much as a real hollow point so I don’t understand why they made it a law against a real hollow point but hey, that’s Liberal logic for you….LOL.

I think they sell it in the US right now as the guard dog but those loads were originally developed for police and government agencies in other countries who are either prohibited from using hollow points or who have duty weapons that don’t function reliably with hollow points.

There are places where military forces are used for LE Functions like counter terrorism and the EFMJ is Geneva /Hague convention compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    TGO's favorite 1911 is a .40, and can go major or minor depending upon the match. It also has a 14 ounce trigger.

These are high dollar custom guns, and you better get good at tuning magazines. On the other hand, as hard as it is to get a .40 right, you have to work even harder to make a .45 not run.
    There’s no need to tune single stack .40 magazines if you buy quality magazines. That fact that I put my .40 together with a little help, from someone who is far from a pro smith themselves, and it runs great makes me wonder if I just got lucky?

User Tag List