Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W full-size 1911

HCM covered the main points regarding overall cartridge length.

.40 was designed to shoot a 10mm bullet out of a 9mm sized pistol, an evolution of the brief and troubled FBI experiment with the 10mm cartridge. As the FBI moved to downloaded 10mm specifications, it wasn't long before the industry realized that the larger 10mm case space was wasted and they could get the same ballistics out of a shorter overall cartridge, and .40 S&W was born. The shorter cartridge allowed for these downloaded 10mm ballistics to fit into pistols designed for 9x19mm.

Generally, there was little interest in trying to put .40 back into .45 sized pistols; they already had 10mm for that, which was the proper length to work in a pistol originally chambered for .45.

As noted by others, the competition community found a purpose for the .40 in high capacity 2011 designs in order to meet Major power factor. I don't think Staccato (the rebranded STI) even makes .40 pistols anymore, but I'm sure one of the numerous 2011 custom houses does.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Getting a 1911 in .40S&W that works is going to be expensive and they’re fairly rare as it’ll ultimately be a custom gun.

Why not go the way of the Dan Wesson DWX? No, it’s not inexpensive, but it’s more affordable than a custom option, it’s double stack, damn close to a 1911, chambered in .40, and stands a damn good chance of just working properly out of the box with minimal fuss.

I have a Springfield custom that works. They won't make them anymore. I am looking for a backup and will wind up with a BUL or a Dan Wesson SSC, whichever I can source first.

The reality seems to be that most with 40 1911's handload, load long and run 10mm magazines. My springfield does work with factory 40S+W, not sure all of them do.

The advantage is cheaper brass, and you can run the same ammo as your limited gun.

Thread drift.

I never understood why USPSA competitors loaded a .40 cartridge long on a 10mm 1911 (hi cap or not). What's wrong with downloading the power on a regular 10mm round that is fixed by loading a .40 long?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Thread drift.

I never understood why USPSA competitors loaded a .40 cartridge long on a 10mm 1911 (hi cap or not). What's wrong with downloading the power on a regular 10mm round that is fixed by loading a .40 long?
    Have you ever priced 10mm vs .40 brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Have you ever priced 10mm vs .40 brass?
    I don’t reload, so obviously no. I also rarely compete (lack of time) so I’m not aware of most of what’s going on in uspsa.

So it’s that simple? Nothing to do with any sort of ballistics voodoo associated with the shorter case?

I’m a little disappointed ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I don’t reload, so obviously no. I also rarely compete (lack of time) so I’m not aware of most of what’s going on in uspsa.

So it’s that simple? Nothing to do with any sort of ballistics voodoo associated with the shorter case?

I’m a little disappointed ;-)
    Are you really all that surprised though? An expensive gun ain’t all that big a deal compared with keeping the damn thing fed. Especially if you’re getting any sort of live fire practice and hitting 2 or more matches per month.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    You received some good advice above, but I will add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with .45. If I still lived in NJ, which has a capacity limit and where hollow points are legally problematic, I would be heavily invested in .45 instead of 9mm. If I cannot have an expanding bullet, then one that starts big makes sense, especially with a capacity limit.
    A little thread drift, but someone once mentioned that neither Hornady Critical Duty or Corbon Pow-r-ball are considered to be "hollowpoints" by New Jersey. I'd check that out, but yeah, hardball or SWC would be the way to go otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Why not go the way of the Dan Wesson DWX?
    I may have over looked it but only the DWX compact is still on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    I may have over looked it but only the DWX compact is still on their site.
    It looks like it’s still there to me.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/

User Tag List