Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W full-size 1911

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Like 9mm, .40 cal ammunition is too short for optimal function in 1911s.

The 1911 was designed to function with .45 acp ammunition. Other rounds with overall length similar to .45 acp like .38 super and 10mm will run better than shorter rounds like 9 & 40.

The Beretta 96 is derived from the Beretta 92 which was designed to function with 9mm - which is similar on OAL to.... 40. Same with the SIG 226, S4W 4006 etc.

Of course some .40s derived from 9mm guns like Beretta 96 and Gen 2/3 Glocks have their own set of issues relating to durability.

A PX4 in 40 > Beretta 96.
    Hmm. I don’t know how far back other pistol rounds go when the 1911 was born but I guess I can understand that, the 1911 being designed around a specific cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hmm. I don’t know how far back other pistol rounds go when the 1911 was born but I guess I can understand that, the 1911 being designed around a specific cartridge.

9x19 ( developed in 1901) predates .45 acp by 3 years. It's not when the rounds were developed, it's the length of the ammunition.

the frame of the 1911 is designed around the length of loaded .45 ACP round. The Springfield EMP is a 1911 "shrunk" to properly accommodate the shorter length of 9mm and .40 rounds.

Site Supporter
    The only 1911 in .40 I've ever shot was a single-stack STI Trojan a friend owns. I've never seen it have a feeding or firing problem, or miss. Freaking laser - by far, the most accurate .40 I've ever shot. I shot my highest placement in a pistol match, ever, shooting it.

Yes, I have been promised right of first refusal for that gun. I have money set aside for it, because I covet the thing. Only 1911 and only .40 I feel that way about.

I have one of the STI Trojans , runs fine. Also have .40 barrels for my DW Razorback 10mm and Kimber Stainless II 9 mil.

The benefit is cheap brass if you are a reloader. Loaded long you can duplicate some of the defensive 10mm ammo that on the market with cheap brass.

Fusion may still chamber in .40 but have no experiance with the brand. BUL may also have one.

My limited experience as a buddies called the fender; like the other poster commented it was an absolute laser. A gunsmith but he said he shouldn’t do anything to it at all because it ran and he found that unusual; it still runs, 20 years later.

40 double stack 1911s were all the rage when US PSA rules made them the right approach for limited major; there are lots of good loads out there to run the 40 a bit long so it runs well and hit major power factor. There are also some challenges but I didn’t personally get much experience with them.

I’d echo the other posters that if he likes 40 and 1 to 1911 he is really well-suited to take the 10 mm adventure. It’s a neat cartridge; not for the perpetually broke, but all kinds of fun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Like 9mm, .40 cal ammunition is too short for optimal function in 1911s.

Guns tend to work best in the calibers they were originally designed / engineered for.
    True about guns working best in their intended calibers. The .40 has an advantage of being a straight walled cartridge which the 1911 was designed around. Arguably, the taper of the 9mm case may be more an issue getting a 9mm 1911 running than the OAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The only 1911 in .40 I've ever shot was a single-stack STI Trojan a friend owns. I've never seen it have a feeding or firing problem, or miss. Freaking laser - by far, the most accurate .40 I've ever shot. I shot my highest placement in a pistol match, ever, shooting it.

Yes, I have been promised right of first refusal for that gun. I have money set aside for it, because I covet the thing. Only 1911 and only .40 I feel that way about.
    My single stack 1911 .40 may be my most accurate gun in the safe. It shoots much tighter groups than my 9mms.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    My limited experience as a buddies called the fender; like the other poster commented it was an absolute laser. A gunsmith but he said he shouldn’t do anything to it at all because it ran and he found that unusual; it still runs, 20 years later.

40 double stack 1911s were all the rage when US PSA rules made them the right approach for limited major; there are lots of good loads out there to run the 40 a bit long so it runs well and hit major power factor. There are also some challenges but I didn’t personally get much experience with them.

I’d echo the other posters that if he likes 40 and 1 to 1911 he is really well-suited to take the 10 mm adventure. It’s a neat cartridge; not for the perpetually broke, but all kinds of fun.
    .40 double stacks are still the go to gun for USPSA Limited.

Also, loading long does help feeding, and does help pressures when we do crazy shit like use really fast burning powder. It should be noted however, that factory 40 easily exceeds major power factor, even the “olden days” major at 175PF.

An added bonus in using the .40 in USPSA single stack, I can bring two batches of ammo to a match, the decide if I’d benefit at the match having major scoring, or two extra rounds. The only other thing I’d bring is a separate require spring, but I keep that in my bag anyway.

Typically though local matches is much better having the two extra rounds. Actually, it seems lately the only time you would want to use major is for a dedicated single stack match.

Kevin B got one of the last CQB 40s about a year ago. Largely because he had such a supply of .40 I think. It’s run well for him. It’s very precise accuracy wise. Kicks relatively harshly. He said it really trains your grip.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

TGO's favorite 1911 is a .40, and can go major or minor depending upon the match. It also has a 14 ounce trigger.

These are high dollar custom guns, and you better get good at tuning magazines. On the other hand, as hard as it is to get a .40 right, you have to work even harder to make a .45 not run.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter

40 S&W full-size 1911

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    But yeah, I don’t know why he’s so interested in a .40 caliber 1911. He just really likes that cartridge for some reason. I mean, I like it in my full-size Beretta PX4 Storm but I still coulda been happy even if that gun was a 9mm and I really like my PX4 45, too. It may not last as long as a decent branded 1911 but I think it shoots just as smooth as that Remington did I mentioned earlier.

I’m kind of trying to just talk him into a 45 1911 because I don’t know about you guys but it kind of seems to me that the general consensus views the 45 as an insufficient caliber because it’s fat and slow. Lol.

I have every bit of faith in my PX4 45 and in my little compact 45.

You received some good advice above, but I will add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with .45. If I still lived in NJ, which has a capacity limit and where hollow points are legally problematic, I would be heavily invested in .45 instead of 9mm. If I cannot have an expanding bullet, then one that starts big makes sense, especially with a capacity limit.

.45 is somewhat disfavored because, when comparing good JHP ammo, all service calibers penetrate to about the same depth and make about the same size permanent stretch cavity. 9mm permits a smaller gun and/or more rounds in the magazine.

My series 1 Kimber .45 1911 is my favorite gun to shoot, and for many years has been the handgun in a fast-opening lockbox in my bedroom.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List