Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W full-size 1911

40 S&W full-size 1911

Hey guys, I got a buddy of mine who’s really wanting a .40 caliber 1911. After doing my own search, I’m not finding much. Are these pretty much a discontinued thing, or what? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be some on the used market, short of buying a custom one. My understanding is that the .40s are more difficult to get running than the 9s.

While I get that the heart wants what the heart wants, there is really nothing that the .40 cartridge brings to the 1911 except problems.

10mm on the other hand...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Para-Ordnance made a few flavors of doublestack .40 1911's.

Of course, anyone who willingly buys a Para-Ordnance doublestack .40 1911 kinda deserves what they get.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hey guys, I got a buddy of mine who’s really wanting a .40 caliber 1911. After doing my own search, I’m not finding much. Are these pretty much a discontinued thing, or what? Thanks.

Like 9mm, .40 cal is too short for optimal function in 1911s. Plus .40 cal is waning in popularity and is usually found in double stack mag guns. Prior to COVID panic buying, gun stores wouldn't take .40 cal trade ins because they didn't sell.

.40 1911's have niche popularity among single stack USPSA shooters looking to make major power factor without shooting .45 and people who work at places which provide .40 ammo. Otherwise if you want a .40 get something else and if you want a 1911 get a different caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    While I get that the heart wants what the heart wants, there is really nothing that the .40 cartridge brings to the 1911 except problems.

10mm on the other hand...
    What kind of problems? What makes the .40 1911 so much different than say, the Beretta 96 when it comes to problems?

Keep in mind, I’m not necessarily a fan of the 1911 and I really don’t know that much about them. When I say I’m not a fan, I mean that as in I’m just not a fan because I’ve just never really had an interest in one. Most certainly not saying I dislike them, just something I’m not a fan of. I’ve shot a Remington R1 A and it was a lovely shooter, but still not something that interests me.

But yeah, I don’t know why he’s so interested in a .40 caliber 1911. He just really likes that cartridge for some reason. I mean, I like it in my full-size Beretta PX4 Storm but I still coulda been happy even if that gun was a 9mm and I really like my PX4 45, too. It may not last as long as a decent branded 1911 but I think it shoots just as smooth as that Remington did I mentioned earlier.

I’m kind of trying to just talk him into a 45 1911 because I don’t know about you guys but it kind of seems to me that the general consensus views the 45 as an insufficient caliber because it’s fat and slow. Lol.

I have every bit of faith in my PX4 45 and in my little compact 45.

But yeah, I don’t know why he’s so interested in a .40 caliber 1911. He just really likes that cartridge for some reason. I mean, I like it in my full-size Beretta PX4 Storm but I still coulda been happy even if that gun was a 9mm and I really like my PX4 45, too. It may not last as long as a decent branded 1911 but I think it shoots just as smooth as that Remington did I mentioned earlier.

I’m kind of trying to just talk him into a 45 1911 because I don’t know about you guys but it kind of seems to me that the general consensus views the 45 as an insufficient caliber because it’s fat and slow. Lol.

I have every bit of faith in my PX4 45 and in my little compact 45.

There's no harm in saying that you don't know much about .40 1911's, and can't really make a recommendation.
    Then just leave it at that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's no harm in saying that you don't know much about .40 1911's, and can't really make a recommendation.
    Then just leave it at that.
    That’s why I came here…lol. I may not know but I’m sure someone here does.

Site Supporter
    What kind of problems? What makes the .40 1911 so much different than say, the Beretta 96 when it comes to problems?

Keep in mind, I’m not necessarily a fan of the 1911 and I really don’t know that much about them. When I say I’m not a fan, I mean that as in I’m just not a fan because I’ve just never really had an interest in one. Most certainly not saying I dislike them, just something I’m not a fan of. I’ve shot a Remington R1 A and it was a lovely shooter, but still not something that interests me.

Like 9mm, .40 cal ammunition is too short for optimal function in 1911s.

Guns tend to work best in the calibers they were originally designed / engineered for.

The 1911 was designed to function with .45 acp ammunition. Other rounds with overall length similar to .45 acp like .38 super and 10mm will run better than shorter rounds like 9 & 40.

The Beretta 96 is derived from the Beretta 92 which was designed to function with 9mm - which is similar on OAL to.... 40. Same with the SIG 226, S4W 4006 etc.

Of course some .40s derived from 9mm guns like Beretta 96 and Gen 2/3 Glocks have their own set of issues relating to durability.

A PX4 in 40 > Beretta 96.

The original 5" steel frame 1911 in .45 acp is going to be the most reliable. The more you deviate from that, be it caliber, size, materials etc the more you are pushing your luck.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-02-2021 at 11:29 PM.

User Tag List