Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun license/permit/CCW/LTC supporting documents

gun license/permit/CCW/LTC supporting documents

I know it will vary, wildly, by state.

What other documents, such as a drivers license, are required in order for a CCW/LTC/etc to be considered valid in your state?

I ask because I moved across town recently and I got my updated drivers license (new address) a few weeks before my updated LTC. Say I had traveled to pick-a-state that honors the TX LTC and had a valid drivers license and a valid LTC but with a different address. To add a wrinkle, replace the drivers license with a passport or passport card which does not list an address.

To rephrase the question, how common is it to require a drivers license with a matching address to validate a ccw? Say for instance you're traveling by air and don't actually drive anywhere at your destination (cab/uber/etc). Is a passport and ccw actually valid anywhere in the US on its own without an accompanying drivers license?

The practical answer is just get both updated cards and/or live somewhere that doesn't require a permit. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm interested in how someone might navigate the bureaucracy, as much as a thought exercise as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

What other documents, such as a drivers license, are required in order for a CCW/LTC/etc to be considered valid in your state?

I ask because I moved across town recently and I got my updated drivers license (new address) a few weeks before my updated LTC. Say I had traveled to pick-a-state that honors the TX LTC and had a valid drivers license and a valid LTC but with a different address. To add a wrinkle, replace the drivers license with a passport or passport card which does not list an address.

To rephrase the question, how common is it to require a drivers license with a matching address to validate a ccw? Say for instance you're traveling by air and don't actually drive anywhere at your destination (cab/uber/etc). Is a passport and ccw actually valid anywhere in the US on its own without an accompanying drivers license?

The practical answer is just get both updated cards and/or live somewhere that doesn't require a permit. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm interested in how someone might navigate the bureaucracy, as much as a thought exercise as anything else.
    Here you have x amount of days to get it updated. Same as with a driv lisc and a new address.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Not a legal answer, just my opinion...

In TX, I expect a LEO would ask you about the discrepancy and you could easily point to the issue date on the card that had been updated with the new address. They would likely confirm "So this is your current address", you'd say "yes, I'm just waiting for the other updated document to be delivered by USPS", and that would be the end of it.

In California I'm sure they'd take you directly to prison.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

In TX, I expect a LEO would ask you about the discrepancy and you could easily point to the issue date on the card that had been updated with the new address. They would likely confirm "So this is your current address", you'd say "yes, I'm just waiting for the other updated document to be delivered by USPS", and that would be the end of it.

Oh yeah, it'd be fine here.

It's the edge cases and idle curiosity that get me. I remember once I moved interstate, had the MVD invalidate my old drivers license (with a hole puncher), print out a paper temporary for the new state and also had a flight scheduled before I got the new permanent drivers license. TSA, FWIW, didn't like the paper temporary but was fine with the hole-punched old one. Go figure.

These days I'd just use a passport if I wasn't actually driving to/from the airport. But then, if you do that, would any random state that honors the LTC still honor it without a drivers license? Who knows.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

I honestly don't know. But CT doesn't issue replacement CCW permits when you move. At best, you stick a piece of paper on the back with your current address. Probably because of that, when I buy something online that CT requires a valid permit (or hunting license) to buy, those companies also require a valid driver's license.

No address on an AZ CCW, no reference to a drivers license either.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    In my state you don't have to carry anything, including the license to carry. The address must be up to date with the state police, but you aren't required to have the physical card in your possession.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

For WA, RCW 9.41.50 says you need to carry the license (which is a paper-no-picture thing), but no mention of photo id (and failing to have the license on you is an infraction):

"Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction"

Reciprocity is covered in 9.41.073. It doesn't call out any ID requirements, just that you have a license from an appropriate state.

Site Supporter
    In Louisiana, your carry permit has your DL number on it and uses the same photo. I'm pretty sure you have to update the address change within a certain time period, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

That's assuming you could even get a carry permit. It's for your own good.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List