Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discrete Rifle Case, 34-36 in

My SERT bags have served me well for over a decade.

https://sert.us/collections
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I have one of these that I've been happy with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WO47K4...BL4&th=1&psc=1
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    My SERT bags have served me well for over a decade.

https://sert.us/collections
    IIRC SERT and SneakyBags were the same owner. He had a lot production in Vietnam I believe.

I have used a briefcase sized SneakyBag for close to a decade. My main complaint is it is overbuilt and could be lighter. They are not playing around, as the gear is first rate.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    When I lived in a large apartment building, and would have to share an elevator to get to the parking garage, having a bag that was discreet enough to share an elevator with a nosy housewife was a priority.

Thing was, none were really that discreet - what does one actually carry in a 36" nylon bag? And the musical instrument ploy breaks down if you bump into someone who plays music.

So, I just took to taking a regular rifle case, and then 'brown paper bagging it' in a carboard box with a little tape and a dummy shipping label.

For transporting my pistol range bags, I'd just toss them in a big blue Ikea bag with a sweatshirt tossed on top:

Very nice..
    I use the cheap nylon case from a folding beach chair for a rifle. Not strong but good cover. I also use a bat bag I got from amazon. I've thought some of getting some cheap garage sale golf clubs to stick out the top.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party + take-a-ways.

1. Most Chinese stuff is made by the same folks and the quality varies widely.

2. Given supply chain issues, the price gap between Chinese/Overseas stuff (often Vietnam) and Made in USA stuff has narrowed greatly in this space.

3. None of this is particularly discrete because it either looks like a gun bag or a tool bag/box or a musical bag/box or a sports bag, all of which typically containing desirable items.

4. If all I am doing is transporting to the range, I suspect I would go with thrift store rescue sporting good bags that can be had for well under 20.00.

5. No matter what I bought, I would be looking hard for a YKK brand zipper.

6. The cheaper "tactical" bags work right until they do not with interior lining pull aways and zippers being typical fail points.

7. No Molle/No outside flap mag pockets/ Uniform outside shape for a "tactical" bag are high points for me.

Let us know what you end up doing and why you did it.

Be well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have been using a Vanquest Rackit for about 5 years now and find it is an excellent discreet case. It's even confused law enforcement coworkers when they've asked me if I brought a tennis racket after they've seen me unloading it to take into a hotel room for a night.

Why not use a duffel bag with a drop bottom? I'm in the process of researching this so I don't have an exact model to recommend yet but there seem to be a lot of options from non-tac companies that look like normal luggage. If you wanted the ultimate rugged option - Eberlestock makes their Hercules duffel but it looks very tactical.

Orvis, Eddie Bauer, High Sierra, and Eagle Creek are all notable brands that have something like that.

I have two of these, one 36" in grey and one in 42" that I just got in OD because grey wasn't available:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939197390?pid=842043
    Currently on sale for $60. If you need (I throw that word around loosely... ) enough other stuff to spend $49 the case gets shipped for free also.

They can haul two guns but are not bulky enough that I use them when only taking one. I also have a 26" varmint gun that fits very nicely in the 36" with the upper in one side and the lower in the other. I bought the 42" to use when I go to three gun, the 1301T wouldn't quite fit in the 36", and I might get a 1301C that will be just a little longer. I will probably put a pistol in one of the outside pockets, and lug it out of the basement in one trip.

We all would recognize it as a gun case, but not as obvious as one of the ones that is shaped like a gun. My neighbors all know I shoot, but I still like to lay a little low. The square shape also leaves room for handguards and bipods and such. The grey is my favorite, but isn't available right now. Maybe someday I might collect the whole set and get a 46", though it might get pretty heavy with a couple of bolt guns in it.

I also just remembered - I was in a Denver hotel a couple months ago and saw a guy carrying around an Easton baseball bat bag. I don't know if he or is kids had some sort of baseball/softball thing going on but it could also be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Why not use a duffel bag with a drop bottom? I'm in the process of researching this so I don't have an exact model to recommend yet but there seem to be a lot of options from non-tac companies that look like normal luggage. If you wanted the ultimate rugged option - Eberlestock makes their Hercules duffel but it looks very tactical.

Orvis, Eddie Bauer, High Sierra, and Eagle Creek are all notable brands that have something like that.
    Stop making sense....
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

User Tag List