Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Violence in Public Schools

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Bingo!

Homeschoolers are quite adept at mingling with kids of all ages and adults. Look at kids in conventional schools who rarely if ever interact with higher or lower grades and can't look an adult while speaking to them.

Many a time when someone trotted out that old question, "what about the socialization issue?" I always answered truthfully and said, "yes it is an issue, homeschooled kids are far better socialized than conventionally schooled kids." Given what is going on in many schools today I'm certain I would not want my kids socializing with that element or being fed a load of crap.

It isn't rocket science. There are plenty of resources. A homeschooling group in your neck of the woods can be a phenomenal resource.
    Things are a lot different now than they were 40 years ago. I know that several of the homeschool kids I grew up with are just as weird and socially awkward today as they were 40 years ago. But several of the homeschool kids that I know that are now in their early 20s are quite the opposite. The amount of resources that are available today make homeschooling far more viable.

I e thing that hasn’t changed is how defensive homeschool parents get about it.

At the end of the day, it’s not really about the school situation, but the parents. Do you think that recent school shooter kid would have been “better” had he been homeschooled? You could make an argument that maybe his classmates would have, but frankly he’d have just wound up shooting up whatever factory he wound up working in ten years from now anyway, and would have probably been more devastating.

And if all the rich white people take their kids and go home, that still leaves us with a public education system that we have to deal with. These folks are GOING to be in institutions. If we can make the schools more effective maybe we can make the prisons less crowded.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Things are a lot different now than they were 40 years ago. I know that several of the homeschool kids I grew up with are just as weird and socially awkward today as they were 40 years ago.
    Doesn't that sound like it's them and not the way they were educated?

Do you think that recent school shooter kid would have been “better” had he been homeschooled?
    Well I could be snarky and say obviously not because his parents are a combination of asshole & idiot. Or I could be optimistic and say perhaps if his parents took an interest in him he may have turned out better.

In both cases there is the nature vs. nurture argument.

And if all the rich white people take their kids and go home, that still leaves us with a public education system that we have to deal with. These folks are GOING to be in institutions. If we can make the schools more effective maybe we can make the prisons less crowded.
    Sorry but I never bought or agreed with that argument. The socio-economic classifiers exist because the Progressives (Communists) are dividing people with the express purpose of creating strife and envy. Improving the effectiveness of the schools misses the target. Society can throw oodles of money at education (they already do) for little to no gain. What you actually get in return is a false sense of improving things. Don't forget all the big fat administrative salaries for all the positions that do not instruct a single student.

The problem is outside the schools in the home. You can't legislate responsibility, compassion and caring. It is no one's responsibility to provide diversity to the education system by enrolling their kids.

What you typically get with homeschooling are parents who give a dam. Parents who have taken the responsibility of educating their children seriously. My wife and I chose to do this for the betterment of the kids. We knew going into it sacrifices would be made. Now that we are done do I look back and say, I wish we put the kids in school and we had a second income for the last 20+ years? "F" NO we did the right thing and loved every minute of it!

It has always boggled my mind how people especially those who in varying degrees distrust the government and public institutions willingly had off the responsibility of educating their own flesh and blood. I get it. It's easy. It's the norm. Your taxes are paying for it already. We have been indoctrinated to do it. What other possessions does one had off and cede control of to the government?

Well I could be snarky and say obviously not because his parents are a combination of asshole & idiot. Or I could be optimistic and say perhaps if his parents took an interest in him he may have turned out better.

Sorry but I never bought or agreed with that argument. The socio-economic classifiers exist because the Progressives (Communists) are dividing people with the express purpose of creating strife and envy. Improving the effectiveness of the schools misses the target. Society can throw oodles of money at education (they already do) for little to no gain. What you actually get in return is a false sense of improving things. Don't forget all the big fat administrative salaries for all the positions that do not instruct a single student.

The problem is outside the schools in the home. You can't legislate responsibility, compassion and caring. It is no one's responsibility to provide diversity to the education system by enrolling their kids.

What you typically get with homeschooling are parents who give a dam. Parents who have taken the responsibility of educating their children seriously. My wife and I chose to do this for the betterment of the kids. We knew going into it sacrifices would be made. Now that we are done do I look back and say, I wish we put the kids in school and we had a second income for the last 20+ years? "F" NO we did the right thing and loved every minute of it!

It has always boggled my mind how people especially those who in varying degrees distrust the government and public institutions willingly had off the responsibility of educating their own flesh and blood. I get it. It's easy. It's the norm. Your taxes are paying for it already. We have been indoctrinated to do it. What other possessions does one had off and cede control of to the government?
    Thousands of people every year… millions? Leave the public school system to varying degrees of what any reasonable person would consider acceptable, of not outright “successful”.

The differentiator is the parent.

You can wish that the ghetto birds and the trailer trash would step up and raise their kids all day long, but it’s not happening.

So what do we do with those kids, if not public education?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Kids watch & learn from their parents….

—————-
    Few students attended class at Mount Abraham Union Middle/High School in Bristol on Friday, and police stationed themselves outside the building after its principal announced that unidentified students had said they planned to bring weapons to school.

Warden said the threats at Mt. Abe were made after the school decided Thursday to ban students from wearing flags or banners in school. This week, the principal explained, students had draped flags over themselves like capes “in support of a person, cause or movement.”

A person familiar with the situation who asked not to be identified told Seven Days that some of the flags expressed support for former president Donald Trump. Pro-law enforcement Thin Blue Line and “Don’t Tread on Me” flags were also worn. As a counterprotest, other students brought LGBTQ, Transgender Pride and Black Lives Matter flags to school.

After meeting with students this week, Warden said that the administration initially decided the flags would be allowed as long as they didn’t "disrupt the learning environment at school.”

But on Thursday, Warden said, students walked through the school chanting, cheering, arguing and using “inappropriate and disrespectful language.” The display “created a major disruption in school” and made students feel “unwelcome, uncomfortable, mistreated and unsafe,” she said.

During a Thursday afternoon school assembly, Warden announced to Mt. Abe students that they would no longer be allowed to wear the flags, which she said was “in accordance with the Supreme Court decision, Tinker v. Des Moines, that states clothing and other paraphernalia can only be worn in school if it does not disrupt the learning environment.” Warden said students wearing flags or banners to school would be asked to remove the items, which would be placed in the school office for their family to retrieve.

In her email, Warden said that some students who were “frustrated” by the announcement that no flags would be allowed in school said they would wear more inappropriate gear the next day, chanted comments such as “Let’s Go, Brandon,” and said they would demonstrate their “second amendment rights tomorrow by bringing a weapon to school.”

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessa...abe-in-bristol

Site Supporter

You’re making a lot of assumptions about people’s ability to survive on a single income. In Alabama the average per capita income is 27,000 dollars a year and the average household income is 50,000. I doubt you raised your family on a less than 30,000 a year income.

In addition, I find that most people in white collar jobs and the upper middle class and successful rungs of society tend to be disconnected from just how ignorant and lacking in intelligence a large portion of the population actually is. The fact is there are a lot of people who are either too uneducated or too stupid to provide any kind of a viable education for their children. I want to note that this doesn’t make them bad human beings or shitty parents, they’re working with what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    [/B]
    In addition, I find that most people in white collar jobs and the upper middle class and successful rungs of society tend to be disconnected from just how ignorant and lacking in intelligence a large portion of the population actually is. The fact is there are a lot of people who are either too uneducated or too stupid to provide any kind of a viable education for their children. I want to note that this doesn’t make them bad human beings or shitty parents, they’re working with what they have.
    God yes. I think about this every time I see some liberal drivel from one of my ivory tower relatives on social media. When was the last time any of these motherfuckers even sat next to a poor person, let alone got a true sense of their world?

(Un?)forutnately my time in the construction industry over the last 20+ years exposes me constantly to literally the full gamut of socio-economics, albeit ever trending higher on the scale. Literal drunks that we hire to open and close a gate to multi-billionaire developers, and everything in between.

Thousands of people every year… millions? Leave the public school system to varying degrees of what any reasonable person would consider acceptable, of not outright “successful”.

The differentiator is the parent.

You can wish that the ghetto birds and the trailer trash would step up and raise their kids all day long, but it’s not happening.

So what do we do with those kids, if not public education?
    First and foremost you treat them for what they are. You don't coddle them and mainstream them thereby bringing everyone else down. If they want to demonstrate that they are capable of being a productive member of the student body then they are welcomed.

It is not the job of the schools to raise children, teach manners, responsibility, accountability or values. Putting a rotten apple in a basket with good apples doesn't improve the rotten apple.

First and foremost you treat them for what they are. You don't coddle them and mainstream them thereby bringing everyone else down. If they want to demonstrate that they are capable of being a productive member of the student body then they are welcomed.

It is not the job of the schools to raise children, teach manners, responsibility, accountability or values. Putting a rotten apple in a basket with good apples doesn't improve the rotten apple.
    Fair enough. What do you do with the kids who aren’t ready for the mainstream?

Site Supporter

"Should".

Reality is that they and their situations can be manipulated for votes, money and control. There's no reason to solve the problem for those ostensibly elected to do so.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Increasing Violence in Public Schools

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Fair enough. What do you do with the kids who aren’t ready for the mainstream?
    Vocational schools for those who can handle it. We used to have them. Life skills centers for those who can’t. Special schools fir those who can’t handle either aka little shits with discipline issues. Juvie and jail for the violent thugs who don’t get it.

In my AO there is absolutely no disciplinary cohesion in ANY school. Depending on which VP you draw punishment may be a popsicle/lollipop abs 10-15 out if class then back you go to disrupt the class again. After threatening to stab someone with scissors. We had a “kid” get on top of my wife’s car and piss on it cause they were pissed at sone teachers. No suspensions, no GFO of this school and don’t come back. Wife was asked if she had insurance to cover dents.

At all levels of society adults refuse to adult. Till you fix that level of stupid you’re going to continue to generate bed wetting young people who can’t cope with anything.

User Tag List