Thread: Standard Small Pistol Primers for 357

Standard Small Pistol Primers for 357

Are there any reloading manuals that recommend standard small pistol primers for a 357 using Alliant 2400. I'm wanting to load some 180 grain XTP bullets and Hornady's manual uses magnum primers for everything. Alliant's reloading guide only goes up to 170 grain bullets. Not wanting to experiment. Just want safe reliable load data. I have 1000s of standard primers and can't find the magnum.

Alliant does not recommend magnum primers with #2400. Nor does current Speer No.14.
    I load 12 grains in .357 with Hunter's Supply 190 LFN with WSPs.

I use mostly 2400 and W-231 in my .357 magnum loads, and so far have had no issues. My understanding is that Alliant says you should use standard primers with 2400, as magnums are not required. I wouldn't sweat it.

I bought some magnum primers, but have been saving them in case I ever try W296/H110.

Looks like what I want doesn’t exist so I’ll just wait till I can find the magnum primers and uses the Hornady load data.

Quote Originally Posted by dwh View Post
    Looks like what I want doesn’t exist so I’ll just wait till I can find the magnum primers and uses the Hornady load data.
    Componentwise, or datawise?

Ordered a Lyman reloading guide. Maybe it will have more useful data.

I recently loaded some 158-grain magnums with 14.5 grains of 4227 and Remington 5 1/2s.

Here’s the result (that’s a 2” bull for reference.)

User Tag List