Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Active shooter at bordering school

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Parents of shooter charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter each. Left the gun out and ignored strong warning signs. DA says gun rights come with responsibility.
    Sounds like one of them knew what their kid was planning or thinking about also. The school should be next on the chopping block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    . Also, there is research that video games do enhance shooting performance. P

I'm not sure about the research, but I can tell you that doesn't match the observed reality we are seeing with the newest generation of police recruits....or my kids friends frankly.

These kids have all played every first person shooter game out there, and are "deadly" on PS4. Cannot shoot for shit when they get to the range....and it takes quite awhile to break video game induced retardery.

I always ask new classes who has experience or training with firearms or shooting. Fewer folks every year raise their hands. But I always tell them they're incorrect....they've had thousands of hours of "training" from movies, TV and games. Its just all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Parents of shooter charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter each. Left the gun out and ignored strong warning signs. DA says gun rights come with responsibility.
    As pro 2A as I am, I can get behind this concept. I agree about rights and responsibility. If the kid had broken into something to steal the gun, I’d most likely feel differently.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Apparently the parents are on the run now... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shooting.html

If an SRO had been on hand when the teacher discovered that truly concerning drawing I've got to believe the students locker/backpack would have been searched, the weapon discovered, and a tragedy averted.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Apparently the parents are on the run now... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shooting.html
    Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    As pro 2A as I am, I can get behind this concept. I agree about rights and responsibility. If the kid had broken into something to steal the gun, I’d most likely feel differently.
    I'm a big fan of holding the shooter responsible. INAL, but it sounds like stretch of the statute to me. Absolutely agree the parents are pretty stupid. Not sure about the charges sticking. They would be looking at misdemeanor charge here in NC, as they would have violated a specific storage statute. Not going to be popular to say, but this is careful what you wish for. We are going to need a lot more prisons if we start locking up parents for what their kids do. Been a lot of murders and other heinous crimes committed by juveys in this country with no parents getting charged. Now, if one could prove they conspired with the kid to perpetrate the crime, that would be an entirely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I'm a big fan of holding the shooter responsible. INAL, but it sounds like stretch of the statute to me. Absolutely agree the parents are pretty stupid. Not sure about the charges sticking. They would be looking at misdemeanor charge here in NC, as they would have violated a specific storage statute. Not going to be popular to say, but this is careful what you wish for. We are going to need a lot more prisons if we start locking up parents for what their kids do. Been a lot of murders and other heinous crimes committed by juveys in this country with no parents getting charged. Now, if one could prove they conspired with the kid to perpetrate the crime, that would be an entirely different story.
    When I initially heard that they were charging the parents I was against. I don't think it is fair to hold parents accountable for the actions of their kids. There are always some types of signs in these types of events and they always seem very evident in hindsight, but in real life things can be easy to miss when you are preoccupied with everything life can throw at you.

After watching the statement by the prosecuting attorney, I'm absolutely on board with the parents being charged in this scenario. They are not being charged for the actions of their kid, they are being charged by the absolute dumpster fire series of choices that they made. They bought this kid the gun for Christmas and did nothing to prevent unauthorized access. They were made aware of the drawings from the kid that were obvious signs, the kinds of signs that even every day life can't distract you from. They knew the kid had access to the firearm and refused to take him out of school as the school admin suggested. They didn't make the decision to pull the trigger, but they made several decisions that any reasonable person should NOT have made and that in my opinion directly led to those kids being killed.

If we took out the drawings and meeting at school and the only thing they were clearly guilty of was leaving the gun unsecured, I'd still be ok with a misdemeanor charge even though their life would be/is completely fucked either way. I think preventing unauthorized access to firearms, especially to kids, is extremely important and I do think it is a responsibility that comes along with the right to own guns.

I have a two year old and I'm constantly trying to find a good balance between keeping my guns secured and still having quick access. There are no perfect solutions, but zero effort was given in this case. If he had broken into a locked door or safe to access the firearm, that would absolutely change my opinion.

I really liked the prosecutor's response to the question about if all parents should be charged in this scenario. Every scenario is different. Every kid is different. In this case, the parents fucked up. They deserve to be charged.

The school shouldn't have let the kid back into class, especially not without a search. Maybe they were within the law with that decision, but it was morally wrong and I'm sure they'll be painfully reminded of that with the impending lawsuits.

I don't disagree they made stupid choices. I don't disagree that they are very likely to face civil liability, and probably should. Criminal liability needs to be codified and elements of the offense be met. Feelings and emotion have no place here. It is a very slippery slope. If the elements of a crime, established by law, are not met then charges are not appropriate. If they are met under existing law there, then I am all for the prosecutor going forward. Once the "feels" get involved it is a very short ride to banana republic styke kangaroo courts.

User Tag List