Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 9mm in a .38

Got 1k 147gr hsts to test out now

The HSTs are pretty too.
    Name:  IMG_20220313_001014.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  69.4 KB

I'm going to have to try out some different powders to get faster than 1100fps in the magnums though.
    Name:  IMG_20220313_002801.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  54.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I agree. I still have a few 100 once fired cases from my original experiment. They have very thick walls. When I find them, I will happily donate these so you can experiment. My health is such that I can no longer lift but a few pounds and am trying to hire someone to help me sort through 50 years of stored items. I recently gave away a case of belted machine gun ammo because I got tired of stumbling over it.
    @willie,

Where in The Republic are ya? In between railroad phonecalls I have quite a bit of free time. Normally that free time is spent worrying, so if you're semi-close by maybe we can help each other out. I'll help you sort, you keep my mind from worrying.

Since I doubt my backorder of 135gr+P Speer GDHPs will be fulfilled anytime soon, I'm interested in this project as well. I have 1,000 147gr HST pulls as well. Seeing as the HST is a fairly tough bullet, I was hoping maybe I can load these in some once-fired Remington .38special+P nickeled brass I have cleaned and stashed. I'd like to get 900fps from a 3" M64-6.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    @willie,

Where in The Republic are ya? In between railroad phonecalls I have quite a bit of free time. Normally that free time is spent worrying, so if you're semi-close by maybe we can help each other out. I'll help you sort, you keep my mind from worrying.
    I'm alive and(well?)in Waco. Most of the sorting has been done. Next week a gentleman from Arlington will pick up 2000 lbs of wheel weights and linotype plus whatever else he might want. In 50 years I seldom discarded anything. Feel free to contact me.

16gr Ramshot enforcer gets them to 1250 in a 4". Not as good as the shooters world heavy but it's what I got.

I also just picked up 1k primed unfired cases for a song so I'm going to load up a batch and set it back.

Name:  IMG_20220917_132812.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  37.1 KB
    That's about as good as I can shoot at 25yards

The land height from the bore measurement will give you a reasonable idea if the bullet will have bullet slippage and/or bullet yaw. When you fire the round it all happens so fast you seldom realize pressure blow by.

What about using a .356 Hornady HAP bullet it a .357 Mag? I figured it's better to ask here than start a new thread.

I have close to 2K of the 125 gr Hornady .356 HAP bullets and I was thinking they might work in a .357 Mag revolver? I'd buy a Lee Collet-Style Crimp Die in .357 Magnum to try to get a good crimp onto the bullet.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    What about using a .356 Hornady HAP bullet it a .357 Mag? I figured it's better to ask here than start a new thread.

I have close to 2K of the 125 gr Hornady .356 HAP bullets and I was thinking they might work in a .357 Mag revolver? I'd buy a Lee Collet-Style Crimp Die in .357 Magnum to try to get a good crimp onto the bullet.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Rather than the collet crimp die, I'd go with seating the bullet just deeply enough to roll crimp in front of it. You'd have to slightly reduce the powder charge if you go this route. I'd also go with a 9mm expander rather than one for .38/.357.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List