Thread: Reload data from Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading, abridged edition. Unsafe ?

Reload data from Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading, abridged edition. Unsafe ?

I have the abridged edition of Hornady reloading, first printing, 1991. I have followed this data for reloading for years. I now have many other sources to reference. I reloaded 9mm a number of years ago using the data in this book. I'm specifically worried about load data for accurate # 2 using 115 gr jhp bullets. The book gives start load of 4.7 gr AA#2. The max load is listed as 5.9 gr of AA#2. HP /xtp and fmj-rn.
    I have 500 rounds loaded at 5.5 gr and 5.8 gr AA#2.
    I cannot find any data anywhere that lists a load any higher then 5.1 gr of aa#2 for a 115 gr bullet. Another thing I came across was load data for WIN WST for 9mm. I have read comments by reloaders stating they can't find load data for that powder for 9mm. I'm wondering if I should unload these bullets. Anyone have issues with data in this book that has it on their shelf?

My Spear book #12 (1994) only lists AA #2 in the 100 grain FMJ section of 9mm.
    Min 4.6gr 1050fps
    Max 5.1gr 1204fps

All the heavier 9mm bullets only show AA #5, 7 and 9.
    In other calibers, I only see loads using AA#2 in 380 and 38 sp.

It looks like #2 is one of AA lightest and fastest shotshell/pistol powders
    Maybe try firing a few rounds of each and check cases for pressure signs?

I see no 9mm WST loads.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Hodgdons has 5.2 gr of AA #2 listed as a +P loading. Depending on your bullet and seating depth Hodgdons lists various powder charges. If you wish to exceed that level, that's entirely up to you.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I have an older Hornady manual and they sent me stickers for specific pages and loads to correct it. Is there something like that on the manual you have. Call them and ask, their automated phone system used to be a hoot to listen to.

Never loaded AA#2 so I have no knowledge there. I have loaded many thousands of 9mm rounds with WST and still have about 10 pounds of it. I also used it in .40SW major 165PF USPSA ammo (loaded with heavy for caliber coated bullets).

With WST, it's strictly a "gamer" powder. It gets squirrely with erratic velocities over the chrono at full power and +P pressures. This tells me that I'm probably in the danger zone. For that reason I limited to lead and lead coated bullets only and at target load pressures and it can be very good for that use. If you want to duplicate factory defense or NATO type loads, pick a different powder. It can be quite good in .45ACP but that is a low pressure cartridge to begin with.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 09-12-2023 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added detail

Thank you all for responding. I have no desire to chance blowing up my guns with overloaded rounds. These rounds were loaded awhile back. I dated a few boxes of 100 and found the date 2012. I decided to pull them. All 500 rounds. I have 200 to go. Fortunately I have a puller die to use, instead of the old kinetic hammer. I started accumulating reload data from other sources, but started with the afore mentioned Hornady manual. I found it quite concerning that they listed so high of a charge using AA#2 for the 9mm after seeing other data. I would assume all loads listed were tested and safe, but who knows? Anyway, I had 1/2 a pound of AA#2 and more now that I'm emptying my cartridges. I'll figure out a use for that powder later. I have other 9mm rounds charged with titegroup and like that load. As for WST, I have a very small amount left in a can. I'll probably load 45 acp to use it up. Obviously, I need to shoot and reload more!

Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I have the abridged edition of Hornady reloading, first printing, 1991. I have followed this data for reloading for years. I now have many other sources to reference. I reloaded 9mm a number of years ago using the data in this book. I'm specifically worried about load data for accurate # 2 using 115 gr jhp bullets. The book gives start load of 4.7 gr AA#2. The max load is listed as 5.9 gr of AA#2. HP /xtp and fmj-rn.
    I have 500 rounds loaded at 5.5 gr and 5.8 gr AA#2.
    I cannot find any data anywhere that lists a load any higher then 5.1 gr of aa#2 for a 115 gr bullet. Another thing I came across was load data for WIN WST for 9mm. I have read comments by reloaders stating they can't find load data for that powder for 9mm. I'm wondering if I should unload these bullets. Anyone have issues with data in this book that has it on their shelf?
    Either call AA powder or Hornady. Powder manufacturers have tech guys who will help you with questions.

User Tag List