Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9mm in a .38

Site Supporter
    As advantage of the Lee collet die is that it will create more than enough case tension to prevent bullet set back. Lee's factory crimp die would do the same thing and might be better though I can't explain why. You may not need an expander. If you want to spend a very few dollars, buy the Lee Universal Expander. It will create a small funnel type lip on case mouth and will not expand the case. This approach permits saving existing case tension.

50 years ago I shot .355 9mm out of .38 Spl cases and used various tricks to create neck tension. I used stupid charges of Unique, and today I'm thankful that I have all my fingers. Am I the only guy here who has blown up a handgun?

Site Supporter
    I'm wondering if a .38 Super sizer die would work with .38/.357 brass. That, with the 9mm expander, would take care of the neck tension issue.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    I suggest resizing the case in a 38/357 die first. I then used a steel 9mm size die which was tapered like the 9mm case. A sized case would enter far enough to reduce mouth diameter. I'm not certain that a 9mm carbide die would work-- no taper in carbide ring. I got by without expanding case mouth since I was using a jacketed bullet.

With proper adjusting the op can use the Lee Collet Die to reduce case mouth diameter slightly before seating bullet. Then use it to crimp. Now that I think about, I recommend buying the collet die which can do both--size mouth and crimp. Factory crimp die won't size mouth(slightly too big). We are making stuff do different jobs here. Collet die will work for both.

The op can make this work but the effort may be a cumbersome endeavor and may or may not produce accurate ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I suggest resizing the case in a 38/357 die first. I then used a steel 9mm size die which was tapered like the 9mm case. A sized case would enter far enough to reduce mouth diameter. I'm not certain that a 9mm carbide die would work-- no taper in carbide ring. I got by without expanding case mouth since I was using a jacketed bullet.

With proper adjusting the op can use the Lee Collet Die to reduce case mouth diameter slightly before seating bullet. Then use it to crimp. Now that I think about, I recommend buying the collet die which can do both--size mouth and crimp. Factory crimp die won't size mouth(slightly too big). We are making stuff do different jobs here. Collet die will work for both.

The op can make this work but the effort may be a cumbersome endeavor and may or may not produce accurate ammo.
    Most carbide sizing dies tend to leave the cases sized smaller than nominal dimensions anyway. Except for cowboy dies of course. I know I have an old Hornady Durachrome 38/357 carbide sizing die that really squeezes the cases down. I also have a 9mm Durachrome carbide sizer that's really tight as well. I wonder how tight Reddings dual sizing dies are.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List