Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm in a .38

9mm in a .38

Where better to ask about this then here?
    https://americanreloading.com/en/9mm...ted-500ct.html
    How best should I extrapolate data for a .355 147gr bullet? I think be-86 would be my best bet of what I have to try and reach 1000fps.

1k fps is my goal only because thats what the factory 9mm is loaded to +/-.

I am getting 1000fps with 4" m64 and 950fps with a 4" m10 with a 158gr swc over 5.7 be-86.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Where better to ask about this then here?
    https://americanreloading.com/en/9mm...ted-500ct.html
    How best should I extrapolate data for a .355 147gr bullet? I think be-86 would be my best bet of what I have to try and reach 1000fps.

1k fps is my goal only because thats what the factory 9mm is loaded to +/-.

I am getting 1000fps with 4" m64 and 950fps with a 4" m10 with a 158gr swc over 5.7 be-86.
    With those bullets being slightly under-bore at 0.355'', I suspect that you could probably use the BE-86 data "as is" and expect somewhat lower pressures and correspondingly lower velocities in the 0.357 bore. Just the same, I would work up from the minimum loading watching for any signs of pressure.

Years ago, a friend (mechanical engineer) and I hand loaded 115-grain 9mm Gold Dot JHPs over copious amounts of Unique (I won't say how much here for safety concerns) for use in a 6'' Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. We were able to safely(?) exceed the maximum published loads by a considerable amount and, with our heaviest charges, we were able to push them to just over 2,000 fps. We chose the GP100 for its strength, and nowadays, I don't know that I would necessarily trust any other platform for such experimentation if I was silly enough to experiment with that sort of thing again.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

Years ago, a friend (mechanical engineer) and I hand loaded 115-grain 9mm Gold Dot JHPs over copious amounts of Unique . . . . with our heaviest charges, we were able to push them to just over 2,000 fps.
    Damn son! That is edging out .30 carbine... from a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Damn son! That is edging out .30 carbine... from a rifle.
    I cannot imagine what the pressure of many of those loads was and I doubt that a lesser gun would've been so tolerant of our youthful indiscretions.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

The 9mm bullets are too small to fit and seal the cylinder throats and I would expect accuracy to be poor. Furthermore, I would expect gas lancing around the undersized bullet to cause erosion of the ball seats with high volume use of undersized bullets in magnum loads.

Back around 2000 I was shooting a .3555" 147 plated 9mm bullet in 38 Special trying to make a 130 power factor. I shot several thousand of them. I got around or just under 900 fps using regular Bullseye powder. After 2 or 3 years of this I had my gunsmith, Al Greco, rebuild it and he replaced the barrel. I don't know how much the smaller bullets had to do with that. It's the revolver in my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The 9mm bullets are too small to fit and seal the cylinder throats and I would expect accuracy to be poor. Furthermore, I would expect gas lancing around the undersized bullet to cause erosion of the ball seats with high volume use of undersized bullets in magnum loads.
    Wasn't the federal 147gr +p+ a .355 bullet? I'm not planning on high volume shooting with them. Just experimenting.

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...l-le-50-rounds

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Wasn't the federal 147gr +p+ a .355 bullet? I'm not planning on high volume shooting with them. Just experimenting.

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...l-le-50-rounds
    I never measured any. Perhaps.If so not best engineering solution unless core pure lead and jacket thin enough to encourage base upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I never measured any. Perhaps.If so not best engineering solution unless core pure lead and jacket thin enough to encourage base upset.
    I thought I read it was just their 9mm bullet pushed as fast as they could.

User Tag List