Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P239: Yeah or Nay

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Sig P239: Yeah or Nay

Good evening to all,

I have always loved the Sig 225 but never seemed to pick one up. I now have a chance to buy a P239 in 9mm with 10 mags for a good price. It also has Trijicon HD's and the SRT installed as well.While not a 225, it is pretty close. I probably would not CCW the gun, just shoot it at the range or in the desert.

It seems like the correct answer to should I buy a new gun is alway YES, but I was wondering if anyone has any particular insights about the P239.

Thanks in advance for any information.
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 11-30-2021 at 09:14 PM.

I loved the one I used to have and at times wish I hadn’t let it go. Slide never locked back for me, thumb always hit it, but that’s just something that happens when I shoot Sigs.

The things shoot like much bigger guns for me. Like it’s ridiculous (for me) some of the scores and times I could get out of a 239 and how little performance drop there was next to some guns that should have been much more capable.

So why did I let them go? To me I couldn’t justify keeping a slim small semi auto that I wasn’t going to carry, and I wasn’t carrying either of them.

I still have two in my safe. They are amazing examples from another era, of what a quality Sig metal gun was. They shooter bigger than their capacity, but also carry bigger than their capacity.

In a world on 10-15 round, optics ready slimline pistols, they are mostly historical.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you're not going to carry then whatever. Otherwise they're kinda pointless with today's carry options.

I really wanted one until I came across one at a LGS. They had the P07, G19 and the 239. All 3 guns were basically same size and thickness except one weighted more and carried less ammo

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Good evening to all,

I have always loved the Sig 225 but never seemed to pick one up. I now have a chance to buy a P239 with 10 mags for a good price. It also has Trijicon HD's and the SRT installed as well.While not a 225, it is pretty close. I probably would not CCW the gun, just shoot it at the range or in the desert.

It seems like the correct answer to should I buy a new gun is alway YES, but I was wondering if anyone has any particular insights about the P239.

Thanks in advance for any information.
    I own 2 and carry them primarily due to state mag limit issues. When I shoot objective standards like FAST or bill drill, there is very little drop off compared to full size 9mm guns for me. They really do shoot amazingly well, especially if you make the grips a little grippier.

The biggest issue wifh it is the weight. It is heavy, no way to get around it. Size wise it actually conceals well due to its very thin grip.

If you think mag limits are in near future,It definitely is a great gun to have. I learned to shoot on a DA gun so I like the trigger. People with small and medium size hands will like the grip size. I modified some talon grips on mine.

That being said, if I lived in a free state I would be carrying a modern full capacity 9mm.

Cliff's Notes:
    - Carries like a small gun, shoots like a big gun. Even if it's not a carry gun, it isn't any less enjoyable than a 226/228/229.
    - Mags come and go, and I don't believe they're currently being produced. When they aren't readily available, they're hard to find and expensive. That makes them hard to replace, and 10 mags with the pistol is attention-getting.
    - Small sample size, but the few I've handled have been very reliable.
    - They tend to retain their value. If you decide you don't like it, it's not going to lose value either being sold immediately or sitting in a safe.

To my mind, it checks all the blocks of "fun range pistol" and "interesting" very nicely. There are other pistols that do the same, but if the price is right, I'd do it and not think twice...
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Site Supporter
    I have 3:

Name:  0D5B72A6-867E-4A71-A186-D9B6A957ABCF.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  52.9 KB
    It’s the carry gun I always come back to (I mean, seriously—I have 3) for a couple reasons.

1. It’s DA/SA. If you’re looking for a compact, single-stack DA/SA carry gun, your options are fairly limited. And this is a damn good one.

2. It’s not “tiny”—but it is compact and concealable. Even though it has a silhouette reasonably close to a G19 or a CZ compact (like someone mentioned), the single-stack grip is thin, small and lays flat when you’re carrying. And the slide isn’t much thicker than a 1911. I tend to think P2XX Sig slides (with the exception of the Legacy P229) are pretty much the same in terms of width—just over an inch. Definitely thinner than an HK, Walther P99/PPQ or just about any Beretta. The .357/.40 P239s have a beefier slide than the 9mm P239s—but it’s actually just taller, not wider. Which I found surprising.

3. It’s good for small hands. Which I have. I can reach (and control) the DA pull better than on many doublestack DA/SA designs. And I don’t have to adjust my grip as much transitioning to SA.

4. It’s accurate AF. Even if none of the above were true, I think you could make a case for the P239 on the merits of shootability alone. My examples have always shot very well (for me, anyway). I haven’t done a whole lot of shooting over the past year and half, and I can still go out and put most of 50 rounds into the center of a target at 10 yards. Some seem to think it’s one of the most mechanically accurate Sigs. I dunno. But I’ll say I tend to shoot a P239 a bit bitter than a P225.

Name:  BC5FBED0-8D43-4267-AC61-FB2FBBF1C109.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  23.3 KB

5. It’s reliable. Never had an issue with my P239s—both in 9mm and 357.

As far as drawbacks? You only get 9 rounds of 9mm (or 8 of .40/.357). And it’s not as light as a polymer single stack. But… it’s not like it’s a boat anchor, either. Other than that… I feel like it kicks copious amounts of ass both as a carry gun and just a cool gun to have and shoot.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 12-01-2021 at 12:00 AM.

I vote "yes", as I sometimes still carry my old P225 (I just hope it doesn't break). Regarding SIG mags, the last pricing on P239 9mm mags was ~$45.
    https://gunmagwarehouse.com/sig-saue...-magazine.html

My "yes" vote all depends on how much this P239 package deal will cost and if the OP wants to spend the money for a SIG which the OP might not use much, but just wants to own.

Even though I own and sometimes carry the P225, I'm more likely to carry my Glock 19 gen5, SIG P229R, or Glock 26 gen3, among others (I'll carry almost anything I own).

I carried one a long time ago and it was a great gun, concealed well.

Totally outclassed by a Glock 19, and maybe even a 26 though. They’re heavy and the little bitty grip is something to work around.

Site Supporter
    I carried one as a back-up to my issue SIG 226 for a while. As mentioned, it's heavy (at least in comparison to polymer pistols) which is why I dropped it from that role.

When I was actually relevant as firearms training coordinator, I convinced on-high to replace the detectives' optional 230's with the 239. As a side note, most preferred the uniform 226, but none complained about the 239. Later I got on-high to authorize the 239 as a uniform weapon for officers for hands too small to effectively shoot the then .40 226 well. Their Q scores didn't go like I hoped they would, but the three officers (all female troops with smaller hands) who chose the 239 all liked it.

The 239 next came up for discussion when the Street Crime Unit "needed" a smaller gun for their many secret undercover operations that rivaled anything Crockett and Tubbs ever did (because Sonny and Riccardo seldom hung at the Seven-Eleven talking with uniform cops). Street Crimes felt the 239 was too small a capacity for their dangerous and covert duties which eventually led to the FNS-9.

Conclusion of this long story is that the 239 is a reliable, accurate, and concealable weapon. If you want the gun for a range toy, I think you'll do well. I always liked the 239, but like our Street Crime Unit, prefer higher capacity.
    '
    '

User Tag List