Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JCN wants a six shot pocket revolver

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Looks like the LCR might be a tad smaller from your pictures. The Taurus 856 really isn't all that difficult to carry, and I am sure a ultra lite version would be even better.
    Just a little longer on the grip.

Name:  90CCB71A-AC92-420E-ABD8-88EDED24DB78.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  27.4 KB

But doesn’t have the shroud hump.

(I have a bobbed hammer).

Name:  B33D9882-D18F-4107-853D-DB21ED4A9980.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  26.0 KB

Very reasonable

Name:  F78567DB-1BA1-4C5A-B7C8-B3CB712D688F.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  30.5 KB

Okay, not quite reliable enough with the Galloway hammer spring despite shimming it.

Going to go with the stock hammer spring.

EDIT: to make sure it fires, I’m actually going with stock hammer spring and shimming it.

Trigger weight is 13+ pounds but it’s smooth now compared to when it was new.
    Last edited by JCN; 12-09-2021 at 04:47 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    @JCN - It looks like you got the "concealed hammer" version from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Gonna steal the swab in the power drill.
    pat
    I always do stones first to make sure surfaces are flat and true. Cotton and cloth won't knock down high points before they've removed too much metal from everything. For me, polishing would be only after working it over with the India and then Arkansas stones. But to be honest, Arkansas leaves stuff smooth enough I don't bother with polishing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Okay, not quite reliable enough with the Galloway hammer spring despite shimming it.

Going to go with the stock hammer spring.

EDIT: to make sure it fires, I’m actually going with stock hammer spring and shimming it.

Trigger weight is 13+ pounds but it’s smooth now compared to when it was new.

I had to go back to the stock hammer spring on mine as well. It was a shame because it had a really nice trigger with the Galloway springs installed. I kept the Galloway trigger return spring in mine and it has been good to go and still has an “okay” trigger.

I really like my 856. Mine is the stainless steel model. I bought it because my 442 hurt to shoot as much as I wanted, the all metal gun soaks up the recoil and is fun to shoot.

Site Supporter
    So to improve the trigger without risking much, just install the Galloway TRS?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I always do stones first to make sure surfaces are flat and true. Cotton and cloth won't knock down high points before they've removed too much metal from everything. For me, polishing would be only after working it over with the India and then Arkansas stones. But to be honest, Arkansas leaves stuff smooth enough I don't bother with polishing.

I do not think there is a concealed hammer version. There are spurless hammer version, like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Yes, I ordered the UL CH (ultra lite concealed hammer) model.

I use the qtip polish for some holes and recesses more than for flat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    I had to go back to the stock hammer spring on mine as well. It was a shame because it had a really nice trigger with the Galloway springs installed. I kept the Galloway trigger return spring in mine and it has been good to go and still has an “okay” trigger.

I really like my 856. Mine is the stainless steel model. I bought it because my 442 hurt to shoot as much as I wanted, the all metal gun soaks up the recoil and is fun to shoot.
    Yes it’s interesting that the 9mm primers and revolvers seem to get away with lower spring weights.

100%

Okay with factory hammer spring plus shim, ammo ran 100%.

The Lawman Clean Fire has crazy hard primers and even stock Smiths sometimes don’t fire them.

So that’s reassuring.

Name:  963675C3-BF29-4039-87B8-C6E497AF8694.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  80.2 KB

98%

Took the shim out and it ran 49/50.

The trigger is a smooth 10 pounds and I like it very much.

Name:  CD741ED0-EA42-4284-928B-EFDCB31ACD06.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  53.3 KB

User Tag List