Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JCN wants a six shot pocket revolver

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Did you remove the anodizing? No concern about steel parts wearing through the bare/exposed aluminum?
    I didn’t remove anodizing. I use car polish and not metal polish. It’s very fine and mild. Meant to polish paint without eating through clear coat.

The parts I stoned and worked heavier are all steel mating surfaces of internals.

Here’s what it looks like. I took it apart again this morning to try reducing firing pin spring and using the Galloway hammer spring with a shim to try and add margin over yesterday but not have to go to the full stuff OEM spring.

Name:  A403F858-17D9-48F9-BCF9-7275AB535734.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  41.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Attachment 80761

Okay, that should work. Still very smooth. Should have enough zip for those hard primers.
    ?
    Post #9 shows 8-14 how is 10 lbs an improvement?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    ?
    Post #9 shows 8-14 how is 10 lbs an improvement?
    OEM is off the scale at 13+ pounds.

I put the Galloway trigger and hammer springs in and it was 8#14oz.

I dry fired and live fired it (for the first time ever) and it lightened up further down to 5-7 pounds (hard to get accurate readings depending on stacking and speed of pull).

But the main point was that it wasn’t firing off CCI primers reliably.

So the “improvement” would be reliability at 10 pounds using the factory hammer but Galloway trigger springs.

But I wanted to experiment further so instead of testing like that I went back this morning and reduced the firing pin spring and added back the Galloway hammer spring but with a shim.

Will function test today and if that doesn’t work, I’ll put the factory hammer spring back in and remove the shim.

Site Supporter
    The op might look at Wolff gun springs for J frames. I too was once a spring changer and urge others to add a safety margin when playing with mainsprings. I think the goal should be smoothness and achieving lighter pull weight by reducing friction and stress acting with care when reducing spring strength.I never touched a firing pin spring and would be afraid to monkey with one in a revolver.

Site Supporter
    This is probably a stupid idea.

But Charter Arms makes a 6-shot 2in .32 H&R Magnum now (model # 73220) claiming a 12oz weight and as best as I can tell, it's the same frame as their 5-shot .38.
    Aside from Charter Arms essentially being an American made Taurus in QC/QA, does the concept have merit for this sort of use case?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The op might look at Wolff gun springs for J frames. I too was once a spring changer and urge others to add a safety margin when playing with mainsprings. I think the goal should be smoothness and achieving lighter pull weight by reducing friction and stress acting with care when reducing spring strength.I never touched a firing pin spring and would be afraid to monkey with one in a revolver.
    Thanks, point is well taken. Mainly for enjoyment currently and would add a ton of margin for anything that gets carried seriously. A big part is for education.

I’m comfortable with firing pin spring altering as the hammer doesn’t contact the pin, it hits the plate to hit the pin.

And the pin has such little mass as opposed to a striker or traditional firing pin that I’m not concerned about inertia strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The op might look at Wolff gun springs for J frames.
    A friend cut the hammer spur off a T85 and started getting misfires. Had he messed with the Usual Suspects of springs, ammo, primers? I don't think so. He crammed in a J spring and got back to good ignition but the DA was heavier and I recall the spring was stacking and keeping him from getting to SA. Which I assume he was not interested in, having bobbed the hammer.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    How about a LCR in 327 Federal Magnum? Same payload as the .22 Mag, and greater bullet cross section. Ability to use 32 H&R and 32 Long/Shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    How about a LCR in 327 Federal Magnum? Same payload as the .22 Mag, and greater bullet cross section. Ability to use 32 H&R and 32 Long/Shorts.
    I think that’s very reasonable.

From what I understand the LCR 327 is also 17 ounces, which is the same as the 5 shot 9mm.

I think I would take 5 of 9mm over 6 of 32 mag.

It’s splitting hairs but this is 15.5 ounces and 6 rounds of 38 special which might be similar to 32 mag but… with some loadings penetrates 14” with wider expansion. More versatile ammo selections.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think that’s very reasonable.

From what I understand the LCR 327 is also 17 ounces, which is the same as the 5 shot 9mm.

I think I would take 5 of 9mm over 6 of 32 mag.

It’s splitting hairs but this is 15.5 ounces and 6 rounds of 38 special which might be similar to 32 mag but… with some loadings penetrates 14” with wider expansion. More versatile ammo selections.

Looks like the LCR might be a tad smaller from your pictures. The Taurus 856 really isn't all that difficult to carry, and I am sure a ultra lite version would be even better.

User Tag List