Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9th Circuit upholds California ban on high-capacity ammo magazines

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Judge Susan Graber wrote for the majority today in Duncan v. Bonta. "The statute outlaws no weapon, but only limits the size of the magazine that may be used with firearms, and the record demonstrates (a) that the limitation interferes only minimally with the core right of self-defense, as there is no evidence that anyone ever has been unable to defend his or her home and family due to the lack of a large-capacity magazine; and (b) that the limitation saves lives."

should be applied to all private security. There has been no evidence that anyone ever been unable to defend their famous/rich person due to lack of large-capacity magazine.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Clearly, Judge Graber is not familiar with Jared Reston, to name just the first event to come to mind.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Judge Susan Graber wrote for the majority today in Duncan v. Bonta. "The statute outlaws no weapon, but only limits the size of the magazine that may be used with firearms, and the record demonstrates (a) that the limitation interferes only minimally with the core right of self-defense, as there is no evidence that anyone ever has been unable to defend his or her home and family due to the lack of a large-capacity magazine; and (b) that the limitation saves lives."

should be applied to all private security. There has been no evidence that anyone ever been unable to defend their famous/rich person due to lack of large-capacity magazine.

My litmus test has always been, "Would you apply this limitation to the police?".

9th Circuit upholds California ban on high-capacity ammo magazines

Wonder how much $$ departments could save if they all went to 2 shot derringers. We should field trial this life and $$ saving concept with some PSD for judges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    My litmus test has always been, "Would you apply this limitation to the police?".
    Unfortunately, in this day and age, they probably would (as long as it didn't apply to their security detail).

It's only a matter of time before that state passes a law to limit passenger car engines to 100hp to reduce climate racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Unfortunately, in this day and age, they probably would (as long as it didn't apply to their security detail).
    Just wait. Her logic will soon be used to price people out of ownership. The statute outlaws no weapon .... it's not our fault you can't afford the $10k tax

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Take it further, I fantasize the Zeroth Amendment.
    "All laws and regulations shall apply without exception to all government employees, whether elected, appointed, or hired, in the same manner and degree as to the citizens of the jurisdiction."

That's right, the Secret Service has to have CCW permits and the Army has to FFL ranges, arsenals, and armories.

(It has happened. I worked at a Government agency on a project to manufacture fuel ethanol by novel means. We had to get a BATFE distiller's license just like Jack Daniels.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I have several comments:

1. This was to be expected. The comment that they have seen this before and nothing new is telling.

2. The comment on deaths from Covid was gratuitous and weakens the initial decision's PR. Not relevant and makes you look like a partisan judge.

3. The comment that you don't need higher capacity magazines for most self defense usages has been seen before in other cases.

The focus on SD in Heller opened that can of worms as the need for more 'military' type infantry weapons was weakened.

The 5 is enough crowd, AR owners are nuts, show me a case where you need more, etc. can and will be quoted as reasonable evidence for weapons bans. Some will accept the need for the small gun for SD and ban everything else. However, the open carry AR folks didn't help. I note the left side folks are starting to demonstrate with them also. Is that good or bad?

Yes, we carry Js for convenience but acknowledge their limitations which is different from denouncing carry of more.

https://crpa.org/news/blogs/breaking...ity-magazines/

CRPA WILL ACT PROMPTLY TO PRESERVE THE STATUS QUO WHILE CRPA REQUESTS CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT. For now, it appears that gun owners who possess magazines over 10 rounds may continue to possess them while the parties work to exhaust their avenues for rehearing and appeal. CRPA will release additional information on the status for individual gun owners as it becomes available.

User Tag List