Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 9th Circuit upholds California ban on high-capacity ammo magazines

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    As a reminder

II. General rules of conduct:

To further the goals of the site as specified in the mission statement, we have developed a code of conduct that we expect members of pistol-forum.com to abide by at all times. Failure to abide by the rules of the site can result in suspension or even termination of your posting privileges.

Under absolutely no circumstances should you ever:

Post derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature.
    Post comments in support of criminal violence or other illegal activities, including illegal modifications of firearms.
    Post comments that threaten harm to law enforcement officers, members of the military, government officials, other members, or the public at large.
    Post someone else’s personal information without permission, or attempt to interfere with someone’s personal/professional life based on web forum discussion.
    Clutter a thread with extraneous nonsense unrelated to the topic.
    As well as political discussion outside of the politics subforum:

*The sole exception to this is specific 2nd amendment politics. These threads must be narrow in scope, such as a specific legislation proposal, lawsuit filed, new law going into affect, etc. General "they are anti-gun" does not qualify for this exception. General complaining about a given candidate does not qualify. Specific and limited in scope.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If I still lived in California I'd like having read "The statute outlaws no weapon,..." by judge Graber. If that's the standard for arbitrary anti-2A laws I'd see that used against the infamous handgun roster/microstamping. Every year the list of handguns available for purchase in that hell hole gets shorter and shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If you can't make your point without using that disgusting and offensive word, then bless your heart.
    It's inappropriate and small ball. Mostly it disgusts me. Anyone who uses the term is carrying some excess baggage or plainly was raised to not respect their mother.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-04-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

“the government acquires nothing by virtue of the limitation on the capacity of magazines.”
    So it's agreed that all agencies, municipal, state and fed, operating in the state of CA are hereby limited to low cap magazines too right?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So it's agreed that all agencies, municipal, state and fed, operating in the state of CA are hereby limited to low cap magazines too right?
    Nope.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Tangentially germane to the current topic:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1293228

Note both the shot placement, and the tox report. Nobody needs 10 rounds for defense, my foot.
    Thank you for sharing this. I was taking tac Pistol Operator 1 and Tac Carbine operator 1 with Robert Keller this past June in PA. I was having such a hard time keeping up with the class with my ten round mags that he took off his own mags and let me use them. Then told the class he never saw someone go down with less than 5 rounds in all his gwot tours. Im sure he meant excluding a central nervous system shot. He told me i have enough ammo for basically no more than two adversaries. I know its completely anecdotal but it was interesting and depressing at the same time.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by High Cross View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. I was taking tac Pistol Operator 1 and Tac Carbine operator 1 with Robert Keller this past June in PA. I was having such a hard time keeping up with the class with my ten round mags that he took off his own mags and let me use them. Then told the class he never saw someone go down with less than 5 rounds in all his gwot tours. Im sure he meant excluding a central nervous system shot. He told me i have enough ammo for basically no more than two adversaries. I know its completely anecdotal but it was interesting and depressing at the same time.
    I have literally never seen anyone put 10 rounds in two adversaries in the US in a defensive shooting or put down two and have more opponents still in the fight. The extended duration gun fight with multiple dedicated opponents is a vanishingly small occurrence in the context the vast majority of us are carrying in. The simple truth of the matter is one side is down and/or fleeing before it gets to that point.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Devil's advocate: did he actually need 12 rounds or did he really need the time in which he fired the last 10-11 rounds for the perp to lose blood pressure?

Curtesy of this week's OSD Newsletter, some pretty "interesting" exchanges between the judges on this case:

Judge VanDyke:
    The truth is that what our court calls “intermediate scrutiny” when reviewing Second Amendment cases doesn’t even rise to the level of real rational basis review. That’s a bold claim, I know. But think about it: if your state banned all cars, forcing all its citizens to use bicycles because many people are killed by drunk drivers (not to mention automobile accidents generally), would you think that was rational? No. What if California just banned all large vehicles (trucks, vans, etc.) because on rare occasions some crazed individual intentionally drives his car into a group of people, and large cars presumably do more damage? I doubt it. But that is what California has done here — banned a type of firearm magazine that has obvious self-defense benefits when used against a group of assailants, based on a purported harm that, while high-profile, is statistically extraordinarily improbable. Much more improbable than harm from misuse of a car. And while cars are not expressly protected by the Constitution, “arms” are.

The reason I think most of my colleagues on this court would genuinely struggle more with a car ban than they do with a gun ban is that they naturally see the value in cars. They drive cars. So they are willing to accept some inevitable amount of misuse of cars by others. And my colleagues similarly have no problem protecting speech — even worthless, obnoxious, and hateful speech — because they like and value speech generally. After all, they made their careers from exercising their own speech rights. On the other hand, as clearly demonstrated by this case, most of my colleagues see “limited lawful” value in most things firearm-related.

But the protections our founders enshrined in the Bill of Rights were put there precisely because they worried our future leaders might not sufficiently value them. That is why our court’s “intermediate scrutiny” balancing approach to the Second Amendment is no more appropriate here than it would be for any other fundamental right. As the Supreme Court explained in rejecting Justice Breyer’s “‘interest-balancing’ approach,” noting that “no other enumerated constitutional right[‘s] … core protection” was subject to such a test,

[t]he very enumeration of the right takes out of the hands of government — even the Third Branch of Government — the power to decide on a case-by-case basis whether the right is really worth insisting upon. A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all.

Judge Hurwitz:
    The crucial issue here is what level of scrutiny to apply to the California law. We can respectfully disagree whether the measures California has adopted violate the Second Amendment. But an attack on the personal motives of the members of this Court who reach the same result in this case as every other Circuit to address this issue neither advances our discourse nor gives intellectual support to the legal positions argued by my respected dissenting colleagues. I start from the assumption that Judge VanDyke, whose dissent displays an admirable knowledge of firearms and ammunition, dissents today not because of his personal experiences or policy preferences but instead because he sincerely believes that his oath of fidelity to the Constitution requires that we invalidate what our colleague Judge Lee described in the now-vacated majority opinion for the three-judge panel as a “well-intentioned” law designed by the sovereign state of California to “curb the scourge of gun violence.” I simply ask that today’s majority, each of whom took the very same oath, be treated with the same level of respect.
    and they go on from there.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

VanDyke is awesome.

I respectfully request that Hurwitz eat a bag of dicks. Respectfully. He can even keep the capacity of the bag to 10 or less dicks.

User Tag List