Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Grip Angles - Which Grip For Which Application?

B5 Type 23 grip for all applications with AR in 5.56 here.

Most of the common AR grip options on the market are between 15-25 degree angles, give or take a few degrees. The standard A2 being roughly around the 25 degree angle I believe. My current favorites are all reduced angle and with grip arches:

More recently, the Thril RTG has become my new favorite. Splitting hairs between these, as they're all great. I find the slight difference in shape to be more comfortable and filling for my hand. I also like the reduced length and texturing.

All three are reduced angle grips. All three have grip arches, which is nice if you have a larger hand. All three also have comfortable beveling around the trigger guard area and two have a tab/spacer to bridge the trigger guard gap. Those factors plus the different shapes of these three make for supremely comfortable grips IMO.

Of that same list, the BCM is noticeably longer. I'm finding, while I consider that sort of my baseline or gold standard to start with, I am quite liking the reduced length of the other two. This is especially true for an AR pistol role. Even with size large hands, I still feel I have plenty of grip.

As far as the actual reduced angle of those on my list, I find them to be substantially more comfortable than a standard A2 style angle. Think of it a bit like Glock vs. whatever grip angle. A2 style is more like a Glock in that you have to cam your wrist forward a bit more (ulnar deviation). For me, it's not a huge deal, but I find it to be ever so slightly more taxing or uncomfortable and a more vertical grip angle helps with that.

Thril RTG

Name:  DSC_0127_tn.jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0128_tn.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  33.2 KB

TangoDown BG-18

Name:  20210416_164246_tn.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  34.8 KB

BCM Gunfighter MOD 3

Name:  IMG_20200721_165613_tn.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  35.6 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The Germans used a really raked grip on the original FG42 (it was angled nearly like the small of the old Modell 98 stock), but did an abrupt about face on the second model. Apparently combat testing showed the way, and it did so PDQ. One of the really neat things about the John M. Browning Museum located on the Rock Island Arsenal is that some things jump out at you when you see historical firearms in real life at one location.

I'd offer an opinion on the best grip for an AR, but I am the guy who just kept the DD grip that came on his DDM4 and thus disqualified myself. I shall go sit in the corner.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The Germans used a really raked grip on the original FG42 (it was angled nearly like the small of the old Modell 98 stock), but did an abrupt about face on the second model. Apparently combat testing showed the way, and it did so PDQ. One of the really neat things about the John M. Browning Museum located on the Rock Island Arsenal is that some things jump out at you when you see historical firearms in real life at one location.
    The Rock Island Arsenal Museum is maybe the coolest place on earth. Absolutely. And it does teach you some things.

I have migrated mostly to the Hogue AR grip because of the just-right level of tackiness. I wish they had more options without finger grooves however.

Last week I ordered the stubby Ultralight Compact Grip as a try out concept. Reportedly a 10.4 degree grip.
    https://www.mkmachining.com/product/...act-grip-ulcg/

Name:  B8B6414C-15C4-443B-A303-D400EC690548.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  21.1 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    The Rock Island Arsenal Museum is maybe the coolest place on earth. Absolutely. And it does teach you some things.
    One of my relatives was a civilian employee of the arsenal for a couple of years, and he took me through the museum about 50-odd years ago... back when it had the brass Napoleon and limber on display, along with many other interesting things that are now gone. I liked it better the old way, but it is a different world. On my visit a few years ago, I asked one of the staff where the MG34 and MG42 in their heavy guise (with tripods and optical sights) had gone, and he did not know they ever had them.

(That relative of mine was a WWII ETO vet... the 34 and 42 held his attention.)

Anyhow, while I am not the guy to give much advice on the make/model of AR grip, I will chime in again to say that it makes a difference if I try to square up rather than "blade" a carbine. The more bladed I get, the more rake I can tolerate on a grip (and vice-versa). It is mostly because when I am squared-up, my wrist tends to get awkwardly cocked to the side. If I took squaring up to the extreme, I could almost use a grip that is angled forward (like on the the .55 Boys Rifle).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

My preferred is the reptilia grip. Stubby, steep grip angle and does a great job driving the hand high on the rifle. Very similar to the ultra light grip seen above.

Ignore the album its the only picture I have of this rifle on my phone at the moment haha. This is an 11.5
    Name:  20211105_114343.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  60.8 KB

And here is a reptilia on a 15-22 sbr.
    Name:  20210604_161011.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  62.6 KB
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Magpul K2 or Ergo deluxe for everything

Definitely a more vertical grip. I tried the BCM, B5, Magpul K2, and Magpul K2+. The K2+ is my favorite. The ledge and hump are perfect for the web of my hand to rest. I am not sure if the overmold is the same that Hogue uses but it feels a bit slicker to me. I prefer to the Hogue material as it feels and looks more matte to me but I guess you can't have everything.

Magpul put out an email today pitching the K grips. I made a picture (links not live, it is just a snip picture):
    Name:  Magpul Grips.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  69.6 KB

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I like Strike Industries grips. Very comfortable and available (or they were) in 15, 20, and 25° angles. Yeah, I know, you can roll your eyes at most of their other stuff.

User Tag List