Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbine Grip Angles - Which Grip For Which Application?

Shooting my 9mm PCC SBR this weekend in two different environments (bench for zeroing and steel challenge match) in two days actually had me thinking about the grip angle on that gun.

My general takeaway is that the more upright, and the shorter the stock, the more vertical of a grip you want. The more prone and the longer the stock, the closer to horizontal you want. I suppose there’s some ratio of torso position to grip angle you could come up with…

When it comes to rifles, and not PCCs, most of us are going to be intending one gun to serve for everything from prone shooting to upright “contact distance” shooting and so we have to make compromises.

There is no silver bullet here. You just have to try a few.

Not gonna lie, I miss the early 2000s when there was like 2-3 grips to choose from and that was it (and stocks, and optics, and forends, and…). We are awash in choices today and it leads to a lot of analysis paralysis. One good reason to take a class is to get your hands on other people’s grips (literally), it I would caution that you’ll want to try the grip in both prone and fully-upright before replacing whatever you have.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I don’t think there’s any case where a more raked grip is better. Longer LOP just makes it easier to deal with.

Look at precision rifle chassis’. They’re all 90 degrees or even more.

HK416/ M27 Grip fits perfectly in my hands, but they wouldn't let me steal them off of the issued USMC guns to put on my personals. The internet seems to want a small fortune for them and they are not really readily available. The next best thing for me is the BCM Mod 3, which is on all of my personal rifles except for the Colt 733/HEAT clone which has a A1 grip...

At this point I'm pretty much done playing musical AR's and just shoot the things they way I have them set up already. But I understand that others are not at that point with their rifles yet.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Does anyone use an Ergo TDX-0 grip or similar 90 degree grip? I've wanted to try this out for a carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I don’t think there’s any case where a more raked grip is better.
    The only reason I might prefer a more raked grip on longer/heavier rifles is that one-handed manipulation is easier. My wrist can support the gun better with an angled than a vertical grip for reloads, maneuvering the gun, etc. For pretty much everything else, I've migrated to medium angles. I don't like the super-vertical ones.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

That is true. If you do a lot of transitions from ready to high port,
    the A2 angle does gibe a little more leverage.

User Tag List