Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Gun/DMR rifle build

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I'd probably go with something like this:
    Bcm mcmr or centurion cmr 15" rail
    Criterion core 16" mid length or 18" rifle length barrel, if you don't want to wait then perhaps WOA or something else
    Whatever quality bcg and upper receiver
    Muzzle brake/comp of your choice

Quality lower of your choice
    Vltor A5 system with a5h2 buffer
    Trigger of your choice
    Magpul SL stock
    Magpul K2 grip

The Magpul furniture is a nice balance of weight and function. The rails are strong but light. The big thing to think about is the barrel, since it is going to swing a bit more with an 18" especially with too heavy a profile.
    This is very close to what I was thinking- Criterion Core 18” with matched/head spaced BCG, comp, either rifle or A5 buffer assembly/stock, and some sort of lighter weight rail. There is a dumb part of me that wants to put a 15” PRI gen3 rail on so it looks like a mix of Mk12 mod O and mod H (without swan rail). Unfortunately that would add about 6oz to the front end of the gun.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I've been kicking some ideas like this around a lot. I'll spare you the tinker-heavy bits, but I'd suggest a heavier stock, preferably one with compartments in it that you can add weight to. You're going to throw an LPVO on there, plus a loaded 30+ round mag, and maybe a bipod. If you're going to run-n-gun with it, balance is really important. Way more so than weight. I also find that balance makes shooting offhand (standing unsupported) a lot less sucky.

Completely agree on balance- I normally compete in 2/3 gun with either a very light AR with rds/mag (5.5lbs+ ammo) or a Spuhr’d out G3 with lvpo (12.5lbs+ ammo). Swing and front heaviness are very much a thing, hence trying to keep front end weight down. The Criterion Core should help, as it’s continuous taper to .625 gas block.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Good call on that barrel profile. Way more weight sensible than the hybrid I ended up going with, but I had other concerns.

I echo the MCMR suggestion, unless you feel like springing for a Smoke Composites Carbon Fiber handguard.

Re: stocks, I think the best bet is a Magpul STR, Magpul ACS, or a SOPMOD. Basically, something with compartments for you to add weight to get the balance where you want it once you've set the length you want.

Just as an aside I ended up going with this stock: http://dissidentarms.com/index.php/product/daas/ for adjustability (and since it's almost certainly made by XLR, it works with their weights and monopod kit) so I can bulk up the rear end to make it swing right. It's super comfy, but it's carbine buffers only.

User Tag List