Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the theft of 44 firearms from an L.A. gun store exploded into an LAPD scandal

How the theft of 44 firearms from an L.A. gun store exploded into an LAPD scandal

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ims-corruption

Before it all came crashing down, Archi Duenas’ gun-stealing scheme was relatively simple, county prosecutors wrote in a memo. He just couldn’t go on vacation.

Duenas, manager of the gun store at the Los Angeles Police Academy, had been reprimanded over the years for tardiness and sloppy record keeping, but he never took time off, according to the memo. As the store’s closing supervisor, he was there each night to lock up — and hand count the inventory.

If someone else had been assigned that count, they might have discovered that dozens of guns were missing and that Duenas was stealing them and selling them for cash, prosecutors wrote in the memo. But since he was always there, the Los Angeles Police Revolver and Athletic Club was apparently none the wiser.

This went on for years, prosecutors wrote, facilitated by a lack of oversight and safety protocols that are considered standard in other gun stores.

Then, in February 2020, Duenas’ bosses told him he had accrued the “maximum allowable leave hours” and had to take time off, prosecutors wrote in the memo. When he did, another manager finally made the startling discovery: Boxes meant to have guns in them were actually empty.

The resulting investigation quickly led to Duenas’ arrest. But it also uncovered a larger scandal inside the LAPD: The clientele for Duenas’ stolen weapons included cops.

LAPD and L.A. County District Attorney records and interviews by The Times show that what started out as a probe into Duenas has spiraled in the last year and a half, spurring a cascade of allegations of criminal activity, misconduct and corruption on the part of officers and commanders.
    #RESIST

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If I remember correctly there was a county clerk in Illinois who was ordered to take vacation under somewhat similar circumstances some years ago. When somebody else looked over the books while she was on vacation, it was discovered that she had been embezzling very large sums of money.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I had a buddy who worked at a bank, he was required to take a week off every 6 months so someone could check his records.

Sounds like High Jingo.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

While we have no idea what he was getting for these guns, if the average price were say $750.00, that would be $33,000 grand, spread over time, say four years, $8,250.00 a year on average. That would seem a hell of a risk of your career and pension benefits for that amount.

Do any of our LE Members have thoughts on the value of guns sold on the streets?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Sounds like High Jingo.
    Is that really a thing, or something Michael Connelly dreamt up?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Is that really a thing, or something Michael Connelly dreamt up?
    It's a jazz song made popular by Art Pepper, (a Bosch favorite). It was written by another saxophonist name Lee Konitz.

Pepper and Chet Baker were two staples of the West Coast jazz style.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If I remember correctly there was a county clerk in Illinois who was ordered to take vacation under somewhat similar circumstances some years ago. When somebody else looked over the books while she was on vacation, it was discovered that she had been embezzling very large sums of money.
    When I worked for a bank, employees were required to take a two week, paid vacation. I was told that one of the reasons for that was this exact type of thing. We were told story in a banking class about a "Model" employee who never took a vacation. It was eventually discovered that she had embezzled more than $100,000.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    When I worked for a bank, employees were required to take a two week, paid vacation. I was told that one of the reasons for that was this exact type of thing. We were told story in a banking class about a "Model" employee who never took a vacation. It was eventually discovered that she had embezzled more than $100,000.
    I probably ought to go back to the Google to look it up. The clerk embezzled millions that she used to keep her horse farm going. She got sentenced to a longish stay at the Martha Stewart Rest Home.

User Tag List