Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm defensive loads

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Underwood does that. (Linked above).
    Seems to be out of stock. I’d still prefer an actual Speer factory loaded round.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Someone needs to grab one of the new M&P 10mm pistols and start testing — reliability, durability, the optics mount, and accuracy.
    I'm pretty sure we all rely on you for this kind of stuff. I'm still waiting on the 10mm Sig 220 testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Seems to be out of stock. I’d still prefer an actual Speer factory loaded round.
    I think I have a pile of it from previous testing.

Underwood is extremely consistent and reliable in its loading.

I have various 10mm barrel lengths from 4-10” if you’re interested in something in particular chronod

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Underwood is extremely consistent and reliable in its loading.
    This is more attractive to me than various death ray attributes of their loadings, especially at times of increased demand and reduced availability.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    This is more attractive to me than various death ray attributes of their loadings, especially at times of increased demand and reduced availability.
    They also have excellent customer service, as in they ship when they say they will. I have been buying their ammo since I learned of the Lehigh penetrator bullet, and have always been pleased.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Can you elaborate on the performance of different cartridges on the road injured deer, and where you shoot them? I have fired finishing shots on multiple elk with Lehigh penetrators in 9 and 45 Super, and not noticed much difference — meaning a shot through the brain did the job. A woman in Montana who my wife and I shoot USPSA with, says she has finished off a bunch of road injured deer with brain shots with her Glock 43.
    Shoot a deer in the shoulder you'll see a difference. At least I did. I'll brain a deer no problem with my single six. I won't hunt them with a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Shoot a deer in the shoulder you'll see a difference. At least I did. I'll brain a deer no problem with my single six. I won't hunt them with a 9mm.
    This thread has come full circle, from defensive use of the service pistol, to finishing road injured deer, now to hunting deer — I care too much about deer to hunt them with a 9mm pistol. Wounded animals are different, but my hunting of deer and elk is with a rifle and cartridge combination capable of accurately placing a shot that has the performance to be able to hit both lungs, the heart and break the opposite shoulder, like I did on an elk this fall.

This thread has come full circle, from defensive use of the service pistol, to finishing road injured deer, now to hunting deer — I care too much about deer to hunt them with a 9mm pistol. Wounded animals are different, but my hunting of deer and elk is with a rifle and cartridge combination capable of accurately placing a shot that has the performance to be able to hit both lungs, the heart and break the opposite shoulder, like I did on an elk this fall.
    I only brought up injured deer because they
    1) Are more plentiful than OIS
    2) Are similar in size to a human
    3) There’s rarely a legal aspect to blasting an injured Bambi and telling the tale.

For what it’s worth I’ve arrested guys who easily qualified as “big game”, when you have to link two pairs of cuffs that’s a big dude.

The original post in this thread was concerning an Underwood 10mm loading which appeared to overdrive the 180gr GD nearly to the point of fragmentation in a block of media. Animals (including people) are not homogeneous and I’d think the load in question would work on medium to Mongo size threats as long as the shooter can shoot it accurately.

3) There’s rarely a legal aspect to blasting an injured Bambi and telling the tale.

For what it’s worth I’ve arrested guys who easily qualified as “big game”, when you have to link two pairs of cuffs that’s a big dude.

The original post in this thread was concerning an Underwood 10mm loading which appeared to overdrive the 180gr GD nearly to the point of fragmentation in a block of media. Animals (including people) are not homogeneous and I’d think the load in question would work on medium to Mongo size threats as long as the shooter can shoot it accurately.
    My rule is, when you have a wounded animal, there are no rules except to humanely finish the animal. Finishing a vehicle struck deer definitely falls into that category, and my comment was about hunting deer with a service pistol. My perspective is also colored by being out west, where shots on deer are commonly 200-300 yards in the mountains.

Nonscientific goof around test I did with the Underwood Gold Dots a few years ago:

For entertainment purposes only.

User Tag List