Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm defensive loads

10mm defensive loads

Smith & Wesson just released a 10mm version of the M&P. There are now a few decent guns in 10mm out there. This brings up the question of what are the better defensive loads for 10mm? There is a subsidiary question as to whether for defensive use against human attackers, 10mm has any advantage over the more standard calibers (9mm, .40, .45, maybe 357SIG)? Given that it's the same caliber as .40, is the extra velocity useful in increasing the rounds effectiveness? This is especially true because most 10mm hollowpoint bullets are designed for .40 velocities

As an example of why I ask the latter, watch the following video.

Yes it's an amateur gel test, and not done with real organic gelatin. But look more at the effect on the bullet. It overexpanded to the point where it's expanded diameter is less than the comparable .40 load. So is the extra 300+ f/s of velocity generating any added effectiveness?

Are there any 10mm loadings that really make use of the 10mm's added velocity?

I like the HST 200gr for 10mm defense loads. They chrono at 1080fps out of a Glock 20.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The final expansion might be less than the final expansion of the .40 but I bet the maximum expansion somewhere in that block was much more with long pieces of copper spinning around and cutting stuff. I'd be ok with that.

In the early 90’s (?) we issued the S&W 1006, first with what today I’d call a boutique loading of a 180gr XTP at an alleged 1,200fps and later with the 175gr Silvertip. Performance on injured deer was outstanding with either load compared to our previous .357 Silvertip or surrounding agencies 9mm (bearing in mind the period’s state of available 9mm loadings). Our guys (and gals) who could shoot liked the 10mm.

I’ve handloaded the 180gr Gold Dot to about 1,250fps and it is accurate and controllable at that speed. I wouldn’t have any qualms about carrying that Underwood load for SD now that jacket weather has returned and I’ve broken out my 10mm carry guns.

IMHO the 10mm doesn't do anything better than the other popular calibers and pretty comparable to the .45 ACP. If I did carry a 10mm it would be the 200gr HST. It performed very well in my testing.

Federal 10mm 200gr HST in vyse ballistics gel. – General Cartridge (general-cartridge.com)
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I think a 135-155gr at honest 1200 FPS with modern bullets would be the bee’s knees. IIRC that’s doable in a .40 much less 10mm. I think Border Patrol had that round for awhile but it ate up guns quickly. I never heard a lot about effectiveness, but a 124 9mm at 1200 seems to be the go-to round for lots of agencies.

Perhaps @HCM could opine on how something in that range would work.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I think a 135-155gr at honest 1200 FPS with modern bullets would be the bee’s knees. IIRC that’s doable in a .40 much less 10mm. I think Border Patrol had that round for awhile but it ate up guns quickly. I never heard a lot about effectiveness, but a 124 9mm at 1200 seems to be the go-to round for lots of agencies.

Perhaps @HCM could opine on how something in that range would work.
    INS / USBP issued 155 grain .40 - originally Remington then Winchester for a year or so, then HST till it was replaced with 180 grain HST. Both the 155 and 180 grain loads worked well. The original 155s were closer to 1300 Fps - supposedly 1280 fps.

USBP briefly issued a 135 grain. It was quickly replaced with 180.

Re the OP: Given the importance of shot placement and adequate penetration whether a 40/10mm bullet fully expands or not is inconsequential IME.

If that was the case, every cop in the country would have FMJs in their duty guns. The fact that they do not speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Re the OP: Given the importance of shot placement and adequate penetration whether a 40/10mm bullet fully expands or not is inconsequential IME.

How many 'experts" have said the 357sig is no better than a 9mm as they fire the same diameter bullet....but then crap on the 40 and not the 10mm which fires not only the same diameter bullet but can fire the exact same bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    How many 'experts" have said the 357sig is no better than a 9mm as they fire the same diameter bullet....but then crap on the 40 and not the 10mm which fires not only the same diameter bullet but can fire the exact same bullet?
    I think of the .40 S&W and 10mm, about like .44 special and .44 magnum. JHP defensive loads do just fine, and maybe even better, out of the .40 and .44 special, compared to 10mm and .44 magnum. The 10mm and .44 magnum shine where more velocity allows a flatter trajectory or more ability to punch through a hard target with a penetrator type bullet. Of course for the kind of dudes that believe power factor for defensive loads starts at 200, and more is better, the 10mm may give a warm feeling.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List