Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 10mm defensive loads

Quote Originally Posted by Will Fennell View Post
    Rick,
    I've killed a lot of deer and hogs with 10mm. I've had great results with 180 and 200 gr XTP's loaded at 'full velocity'. I've actually been pretty pleased with 155 xtp's. I have only used a 180 gr Gold dot(loaded to 1250) once, and while it gave GREAT expansion, it didn't penetrate well at all. Sample of 1, but it was under 10" on a relatively small doe, and didn't exit. This season I plan to try the new 200 gr Fusion load, and possibly some Barnes and/or Lehigh monolithic bullets.

YMMV.

Best,

Will
    A great thing about all the Hornady factory 180 and 200 XTP loads is they have been reliable in stock Glock 20/29 pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Most factory 10mm is great for bowling pins or hunting, and I'm sure it's fine for defensive stuff, but finding quality .40-level loads is actually hard. Shooting USPSA matches with 200+ PF loads is fun a couple of times, but can become tedious when you have to start doing it because the less powerful loads aren't available.

.40 performance with modern ammo is fine, and I'd be just as happy as I can be if finding that stuff, both as hollowpoint defensive and ball in 10mm, was easy. I like the hard and heavy stuff, but that doesn't mean that I don't also like sweetness and light out of the same gun.

And I should reload, and I acknowledge that. Maybe Summer 2023, if everything else can go to plan.

As a counterpoint, I would love to see what the stupid-heavy stuff is like out of PCC.
    Sounds like you need a GP100 in 10mm, you could shoot .40 S&W with moon clips.

lololol, yeah, my biggest problem is that for quite a while I was a 1-Centerfire Pistol kind of guy.

When I had to only have one gun, it was the 10mm Colt. Then all of the good sense and smart talk on here convinced me to have a total of three of that gun. And it was great! Except it was easier to find light .45 than light 10mm.

When the Roland Special stuff was really hitting a cresendo, and the SCD became a thing, I sold two of the Colts to get into a pair of loaded-out RS G19s.

I still like that remaining Colt, and I refuse to only use for the stuff where heavy 10mm is best, and I want to keep having it as a General Purpose sort of pistol. If I want to shoot light weight loads, sure the 9mm Glocks are great, but I don't want to only shoot those guns or heavy 10mm, I'd like for it to be easier to shoot some lighter stuff out the Colt. As my situation continues to improve, I might like to, lol, get another Colt as a backup.

I don't want a bunch of guns, I want light 10mm so that my existing gun can be used, and fit well, in as many different pistol applications as possible.

I think that single actions are neat, but while recognizing both their utility and cool factor, DA revolvers are just not my most particular cup of tea.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A great thing about all the Hornady factory 180 and 200 XTP loads is they have been reliable in stock Glock 20/29 pistols.
    The XTP bullets seem to be the best feeders in ALL 10mm's I've tried them in......I'm a 1911 die hard. The XTP is the BEST feeder in all the 1911 10mm's I have in my safe. Lately, Ive been shooting a 10mm M&P.....it eats everything. In the past, I've shot a G20 quite a bit.....the XTP was a great feeder in the Glock. YMMV.

All I know, is that I've only recovered a couple of 180 or 200 gr XTP's ( at reasonable velocities) out of deer or hogs. Out of over 50 kills.......

I remember a particularly nice boar, later weighed in at 327 lbs, taken at '57 long steps" ( probably somewhere between 45-50 yards) with a G20 and Factory Hornady 200gr XTP's( if I remember it chrono'd at 1145 fps) dropped on the spot with a thru and thru behind the shoulder shot. The property manager didn't even believe I hit the hog, it went down so fast

My experience with 10mm is that it hits a sweet spot in performance.....and at the typical ranges we take game( 15-50 yards), it performs wonderfully without being 'red lined' in performace. A good 180 gr JHP at 1200-1300 fps or a 200 gr JHP at 1100-1200 fps, is a killer on pigs or deer. Obviously it will work well on human problems also.......

I have always thought that the 155 XTP, or others in this weight range, will work well as an 'all around' 10mm bullet.....still testing. So far, its devastating on smaller targets like 'coons, possums, and coyotes. I've only shot 1 deer with this bullet, and it performed wonderfully!

YMMV

Best,

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will Fennell View Post
    I have only used a 180 gr Gold dot(loaded to 1250) once, and while it gave GREAT expansion, it didn't penetrate well at all. Sample of 1, but it was under 10" on a relatively small doe, and didn't exit. This season I plan to try the new 200 gr Fusion load, and possibly some Barnes and/or Lehigh monolithic bullets.
    I’d still like to see a 180gr GDHP as an SD round for bipeds, if I plan to shoot deer on purpose I’ll use a 200gr WFN or the 200gr XTP. The nice thing about the 10mm is we can shoot different levels from Short & Weak to Ouch!

I recently picked up some of Winchester’s 180gr Bonded Defender loads, accuracy seems good, they function well in both the SR1911 and GP100, blast & recoil aren’t bad. I need to chrono some to see what they’re actually doing out of my guns and go from there.

I’m curious to hear how the Fusion, Barnes and LeHigh do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Sounds like you need a GP100 in 10mm, you could shoot .40 S&W with moon clips.
    This is a great idea. I have a 3" GP100 in 10mm and a bunch of .40 S&W ammo laying around.

lololol, yeah, my biggest problem is that for quite a while I was a 1-Centerfire Pistol kind of guy.

When I had to only have one gun, it was the 10mm Colt. Then all of the good sense and smart talk on here convinced me to have a total of three of that gun. And it was great! Except it was easier to find light .45 than light 10mm.

When the Roland Special stuff was really hitting a cresendo, and the SCD became a thing, I sold two of the Colts to get into a pair of loaded-out RS G19s.

I still like that remaining Colt, and I refuse to only use for the stuff where heavy 10mm is best, and I want to keep having it as a General Purpose sort of pistol. If I want to shoot light weight loads, sure the 9mm Glocks are great, but I don't want to only shoot those guns or heavy 10mm, I'd like for it to be easier to shoot some lighter stuff out the Colt. As my situation continues to improve, I might like to, lol, get another Colt as a backup.

I don't want a bunch of guns, I want light 10mm so that my existing gun can be used, and fit well, in as many different pistol applications as possible.

I think that single actions are neat, but while recognizing both their utility and cool factor, DA revolvers are just not my most particular cup of tea.
    @Bergeron

Have you ever considered shooting .40 S&W from your 10mm Colt?

You don't really need to change barrels as the cartridge will headspace on the extractor. I have shot a bunch of .40s over the years in 10mms with zero issues. This would be a much lesser expensive way for you to accomplish your goal.

Plus there are some very good deals on .40 ammo if you look around, both FMJ practice stuff and jhp.

I have been working developing a heavy, +P 170 grain poly coat SWC .40 S&W for use in Glocks. In testing I found it to get velocities better than some of the factory 10mm stuff that is available off the shelf. Not particularly relevant to your case, as it is designed for animal defense/hunting etc, and you are looking for less expensive practice type ammo.

The punchline is though that you might want to look into some of the deals on .40 FMJ that are out there right now. If you are not comfortable with shooting it in your 10mm barrel, unmodified, you could always have a .40 barrel fitted, which would be quite easy.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    @Bergeron

Excellent stuff, thank you!- may I comment inside your quote?

Have you ever considered shooting .40 S&W from your 10mm Colt?

I keep on trying not to do that- I'm sure it will work, lots of people more knowledgeable and experienced than me, such as yourself, have success with that, but I think I'd ultimately rather reload.

You don't really need to change barrels as the cartridge will headspace on the extractor. I have shot a bunch of .40s over the years in 10mms with zero issues. This would be a much lesser expensive way for you to accomplish your goal.

Plus there are some very good deals on .40 ammo if you look around, both FMJ practice stuff and jhp.

I have been working developing a heavy, +P 170 grain poly coat SWC .40 S&W for use in Glocks. In testing I found it to get velocities better than some of the factory 10mm stuff that is available off the shelf. Not particularly relevant to your case, as it is designed for animal defense/hunting etc, and you are looking for less expensive practice type ammo.

Yeah, I keep wondering if a OZ9 in .40 might be entertaining for the factory ammo I could shoot in it.

The punchline is though that you might want to look into some of the deals on .40 FMJ that are out there right now. If you are not comfortable with shooting it in your 10mm barrel, unmodified, you could always have a .40 barrel fitted, which would be quite easy.

I do like the separate .40 barrel solution the best. I recently stumbled onto a .45 that I had been wanting, and it's off getting the gunsmith's touches. Once the .45 gets back home, I want to send the 10mm off for a refreshing, and a .40 barrel is an option!

Cheers!
    I really ought to reload. At the same time, one of the things that I specifically like about the idea of 10mm is being able to span from very light to heavy. The truth of the market is that the ammo-buying consumer demands heaviness from 10mm and sneers at light 10mm. Starting reloading could be a Summer '23 goal. I've done it before, and now I have a garage.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Your goal of getting a .40 barrel fitted would be a good one then, if you intend to reload, as .40 brass can be had in bulk quantities for a fraction of what 10mm costs.

I have a friend back east who has a multi caliber Kimber 1911 that is very well tuned. Last I checked, I think his was set up for 10mm, 40, 38 Super, 9mm and had a .22 conversion upper as well. He shoots a bunch as has that gun very dialed in.

You do realize that now that you have a 1911 in 10mm, and one in .45, if you put them in any sort of dark space together, it's inevitable that nature take over.
    You will start hearing freaky music and the next thing you know, other 1911s start appearing before long. Then they want to be wrapped up in nice little leather blankets.

Name:  BarrywhiteGIF.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  19.0 KB

Site Supporter
    I really ought to reload. At the same time, one of the things that I specifically like about the idea of 10mm is being able to span from very light to heavy. The truth of the market is that the ammo-buying consumer demands heaviness from 10mm and sneers at light 10mm. Starting reloading could be a Summer '23 goal. I've done it before, and now I have a garage.
    Unless your garage has A/C, I recommend that you move some other activity out there and find an inside place for your reloading. I've done reloading in the summer without A/C, and it's something to be avoided. Additionally, your equipment doesn't do well in the humidity, and neither do powder and primers.

User Tag List