Thread: History of the Glock 19 with U.S. Special Forces

History of the Glock 19 with U.S. Special Forces

Very cool. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His videos are interesting.

But I'm curious how SF is using Gen 4 MOS slides on Gen 3 frames, as he stated. Those components are not compatible, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

But I'm curious how SF is using Gen 4 MOS slides on Gen 3 frames, as he stated. Those components are not compatible, to the best of my knowledge.
    I swear I read somewhere that those were Gen 3 MOS slides but my memory no good no more.

I am itching to cross post this link on a forum that's in love with legacy SF pistols
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter

Glock made Gen 3 MOS guns and/or slides for SOCOM as a a modification of the original G19 contract prior to the current Mk27 contract for gen4 MOS.

Prior to that many gen 3 Glocks were converted to optics and / or from 40 to 9mm via unit level acquisition of Unity tactical slides. This allowed the guns to be easily restored to original condition as required for admin reasons.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-02-2021 at 12:13 PM.

The idea of 19s instead of 17s coming in because they needed a new role (compact pistol) and couldn't just replace their Berettas with a Glock 17 is very interesting. That then has an influence towards the shorter slide guns for people who don't realize that trend is for bureaucratic, not performance reasons.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    The idea of 19s instead of 17s coming in because they needed a new role (compact pistol) and couldn't just replace their Berettas with a Glock 17 is very interesting. That then has an influence towards the shorter slide guns for people who don't realize that trend is for bureaucratic, not performance reasons.
    If you have never worked in a large military / paramilitary bureaucracy "in the system" and "playing the game" are very real things. It's not at all surprising.

Your analysis on your second point is incorrect.

While the SF community may use pistols more than general purpose forces, it is a secondary or tertiary weapon for most even in the SF community. As such more compact pistols with both shorter slides and shorter grips are commensurate with their actual role.

However, the trend towards shorter slides with full sized grips is driven by both quantifiable performance and optics. Shorter slides with full sized grips is a real performance advantage when shooting under time pressure. My own agency originally sought a G19 sized gun but performance testing with a mix of shooters resulted in our adoption of a "carry" / G45 sized gun based on the resulting data.

With optics the primary advantage of longer slides (sight radius) is moot. With grip length being equal, shorter slides track faster. Lightening cuts to remove forward weight from longer slides mimic this effect. The shorter slide is also more comfortable when seated in vehicles which is the reality of most MIL and LE in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Glock made Gen 3 MOS guns and/or slides for SOCOM as a a modification of the original G19 contract prior to the current Mk27 contract for gen4 MOS.

Prior to that many gen 3 Glocks were converted to optics and / or from 40 to 9mm via unit level acquisition of Unity tactical slides. This allowed the guns to be easily restored to original condition as required for admin reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I swear I read somewhere that those were Gen 3 MOS slides but my memory no good no more.
    Thanks guys, that makes more sense. And after re-watching that portion of the video, I realize that he didn't claim the optic-ready slides were Gen 4, as I originally thought.

GEN3 MOS slides; to my knowledge these were exclusive to the USSOCOM contract. Not my pictures.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys, that makes more sense. And after re-watching that portion of the video, I realize that he didn't claim the optic-ready slides were Gen 4, as I originally thought.
    Yes, he just said "modern slides"

User Tag List